Isn't the weather weird ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Here we are, past midnight and it's the last day of 2021. In Scotland that's usually a cold, wet or bitter hard icy frozen, night.
Instead it pretty much 11˚C outside here.
It's a funny Winter. We don't even have the heating on the timer, we keep switching it off. I'm still wearing short sleeved summer tops, and we're throwing off the Winter quilt at night because we're roasting under it.

Part of me would love to know that it'll just get warmer until Spring, but knowing the British luck with the weather, wait and see, we'll either have floods or three feet of snow :rolleyes2: but more likely just cold, grey, heavily overcast and the occasional gale and downpour !

So much fruit this year though, a true abundance, and it's still hanging on on the branches outside too. Rowans, hips, haws, brambles, etc.,
The nut trees really did have a lot too though. Masses of acorns, beechnuts, sycamore seeds and the like.

Weird weather indeed.
How's yours ?

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The wind chill goes right into my best Carhartt coat. -30C, the GMC Suburban is dead, new battery on Tuesday, been plugged in for days now. Both the housekeeper and my shopper have come and gone today so the house is loaded once again with food and drink.
Less than 700 liters of dyed diesel on Dec.01 to run my central heating, I'm good to go.

I tell you, I look out the windows and hope? waiting for my grape vines to leaf out.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Weird is the new normal as far as weather is concerned now. It has been pretty mild here since Dec 23rd after weeks of bone splitting cold.
15°C at 5 in the morning yesterday & 7°C this morning. 15°C expected for this afternoon. The plants haven't been fooled though as I can't see any early growth as I have observed in past years at this period.
Looking at the long term forecast, we should be returning to a N.Easterly & cooler temps during next week.
On the other side of the pond, Colorado is having the worst wild fires in living memory, out of season too, it is getting harder for climate change doubters to deny the evidence.

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
All windows and doors wide open down here in the south east.
Nice to get a fresh breeze blowing through the house to clear the stagnant air out, but it doesn't seem right this time of the year.
But even still, some people are still denying the obvious.
Only yesterday my brother, commenting on the mild weather forecast, made the sneering comment, 'I suppose they'll blame it on something.'
I thought of picking him up on it but there was no point - he would have just dug his heels in and gone even further down the rabbit hole just for the sake of opposing me.
Ho hum.
Anyway.
Mild it is. So I'm just going to get ready and go out for a stroll...

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My house has a "cold air intake" for all temperatures, +40C down to -40C. That's the "fresh air" which is added to the circulation from my central heating.

I've watched a bunch of YouTubes of guys going solo in tents at -30C and colder. They all have perfect, dry pine firewood to split. That took planning and there's a serious message in that. Your "name-brand" axe and knife are irrelevant. The objective to build a fire takes precedence. Lots of good skills to watch.
Wet, fresh, frozen birch at -20C will rebound your axe handle, you can feel the flex.

The hell of it all is that that the simple food that they cook makes me really hungry!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
30 cm of snow and -1C now after a fairly warm autumn. Nothing out of the ordinary, so far bottomed at -20C.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Whilst out for a walk yesterday I saw a pair of tortoiseshell butterflies - they were either too late or too early. But either way, it's not the right time of year for them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Whilst out for a walk yesterday I saw a pair of tortoiseshell butterflies - they were either too late or too early. But either way, it's not the right time of year for them.
I thought it was warm here that we still have midgies, and the occasional bee !

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The jet stream seems to be flowing at a slightly lower latitude than it used to. I don't know why but I have my suspicions it is something to do with global warming as it has been similar for a few years recently.

That puts us nearer the edge of the Polar Vortex in an unstable belt alternating between hot and cold air troughs as far as my limited understanding goes.

It's not just us, it's happening all around the vortex border.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Boring weather here in Sussex. Skies the colour of wet newspaper and the mizzy rain that gets you inexplicably wet whatever you’re wearing.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
The Windy app gives a view of what the weather systems worldwide might do. They use reds and purples for what turn out to be not that speedy winds but it looks scary :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
In Jersey at the moment it's a pain, wake up and it's sunny, within 30 mins of going out the sky is grey, seems like its about to drizzle slightly, then it's blue skies again then cloudy..

So glad I brought over a few bits trousers, boots and down jacket... Next time I'll make sure to bring tent and sleeping bag so when I'm delayed I can at least grab a sneaky wild camp somewhere!

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
The Windy app gives a view of what the weather systems worldwide might do. They use reds and purples for what turn out to be not that speedy winds but it looks scary :)
Brilliant app, thanks.
Just lost half an hour to it, exploring the world's weather systems, it's amazing!

Wet here.
Sky with a lid on it most of the time.
Meh.
Does nothing for my mood.

But it broke earlier, the sun came out for 35secs. As we caught a murmuration of starlings on the levels.
Pretty special.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
It’s been unseasonably warm here in Mid Wales since before Christmas with lots of rain. We had a thunder storm this morning with torrential rain also.

Just got notification from local council that they will be gritting our roads tomorrow night as their is a sharp frost forecast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Windy is good, I follow it almost daily, another noteworthy site. By setting the height one can also see the jetstream antics that RV mentioned. Just be careful ,the wind animation in both is slightly hypnotic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE