how to SLEEP in a hammock?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i know this might sound like a stupid question...:
i normally prefer to sleep on the ground and only occasionally used a hammock in the past as a back-up for the few occasions when i could find no suitable spot on the ground. last year i got a hammock in a trade for carving some spoons and as i'm living in a tropical rainforest these days (where sleeping on the ground isn't such a good idea -- which is why hammocks were invented in these parts by indigenous peoples long time ago...) it's now my sleeping method when out for a night in the jungle. my problem is however that i can't get any sleep in a hammock no matter how tired i am -- i always end up awake, laying on my back (which isn't my normal sleeping position) after a short time dozing off...

to cut short a long rant: are there any tricks for side sleepers?! or does the body adjust after a few nights in a hammock?!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've got a dd hammock and even as a side sleeper, sleep very well in it. I use both an under blanket here on the UK and a self inflating mat, which I find gives me a flatter surface to sleep on and keeps the bottom of the hammock more spread out, so giving me more room to side sleep. Try a mat in the bottom. Even a cheap foam one. I'm lucky to have two fabric layers underneath, to slide the mat into, so I don't have the mat inside the hammock, which I found irritating in my hennessy, and rarely use anymore, despite it being quicker to put up. The mat used to slide out from under me. But the hennessy is a flat lay, so there was more room for the mat to slide around. It should work in an ordinary hammock that isn't a flat lay tho. (Hopefully, I've never tried it like that inside the dd, )
I do have a ticket to the moon hammock, which I use for lazing around in the garden without a mat, and that is difficult to side sleep in.
That's just my experience, someone else may have a better solution.
I can't sleep on my back either, and I do find having your feet slightly higher than your head stops you sliding down into a ball in the middle of the thing, and waking with back ache.
Hope you find a solution as hammocks...once I got the right set up... have revolutionised my ability to camp and be comfortable.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Sleeping mat in the hammock and sleep diagonally rather than curled up straight like a banana is my only advice. I too struggle, as a side sleeper.

Reactions: Ozmundo

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Amok hammocks are perfect for side sleeping. Failing that sleeping on a diagonal is the only option. Also try and play with how much sag you have in the hammock, there is a Goldilocks spot.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As everyone has said - sleep diagonally and you can sleep on your side(ish). However, to sleep diagonally you need a wide hammock (i.e. plenty of material) - at least as wide as your outstretched arms finger tip to finger tip. I find the first night out I'm not comfortable, second night I manage to get some sleep, third - like a log. :)

Reactions: forrestdweller

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Long and wide hammock or one ones like the Warbonnet with a foot box so you can lay flat without the need for a mat. Most DD hammocks are too short and narrow to sleep diagonally properly and get a proper flat lay.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Let's not forget that fd is not in the UK, but living in a tropical rainforest, and can't just order a different hammock to see if it works for him. He's asking how to make the one he has work for him.
FD
It would be useful to know which brand of hammock..if it is branded, or what style you have. Is it just a basic gatherd end type? No fancy bells and whistles(like a ticket to the moon) or is it a more native type, ? Most of us use hammocks designed for British "bushcraft, but I do think a hennessay would work very well for you ...but they are not cheap! They are made and easily available in the USA. But I realise you can't just shell out a couple of hundred pounds for one, and have to adapt what you have. The diagonal trick is good advice.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Great source of advice here.

It can take me a while to drop off when I sleep on my back, diagonally, in my hammock (TTTM double). In a bed I'm a side sleeper.
But by golly I'm comfortable in the hammock!
2nd night in the hammock and I'll sleep like log. Once I've got it dialled in, it's more comfortable than my bed, and I've got a decent mattress.

Last edited:

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I use the Hennessy expedition XL, it is one of the asymmetrical ones and I find I can shift around under a hammock quilt to find the optimal position. The bug net is pretty good as well. What I’m not so keen on is the tarp that comes with it so I’ve swapped it out for a much larger DD that provides better cover.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I use the Hennessy expedition XL, it is one of the asymmetrical ones and I find I can shift around under a hammock quilt to find the optimal position. The bug net is pretty good as well. What I’m not so keen on is the tarp that comes with it so I’ve swapped it out for a much larger DD that provides better cover.
Yeah, that tiny tarp is crap! I've got wet in mine in a heavy downpour. The triangular configuration just doesn't work for me. I too use a dd 3x3 tarp with my hennassy, ( and a 4x4 with the dd, which gives magnificent coverage and a good admin space, particularly in wet weather.) don't forget those drip lines ! Wet back and wet face wasn't fun in the hennessay!
I also use daisy chains and carabiners with all my hammocks. I hate trying to remember how to tie the knots, and my fibromyalgia doesn't like me raising my arms for more than a few seconds at a time particularly when I put the tarp up. I found a nitize 9 instead of a truckers hitch, realy helped me out there. (Cheating...but it works for me)

Reactions: Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I’ve never had an issue with water running down the lines. A thumb knot for water to drip off just before the rope passes into where the hammock fabric is gathered seems to work well enough for me. The figure eight lashing becomes second nature after a little while. The hammock and tarp need separate snakeskins though because I use such a big tarp.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't think anyone has mentioned how much stretch the fabric of the hammock has. What I have read suggests that side sleepers benefit from more stretch, getting the right fabric and not too thick/strong relative to their weight. This is discussed on the Hammock Forums site.

Let's not forget that fd is not in the UK, but living in a tropical rainforest, and can't just order a different hammock to see if it works for him. He's asking how to make the one he has work for him.
FD
It would be useful to know which brand of hammock..if it is branded, or what style you have. Is it just a basic gatherd end type? No fancy bells and whistles(like a ticket to the moon) or is it a more native type, ? Most of us use hammocks designed for British "bushcraft, but I do think a hennessay would work very well for you ...but they are not cheap! They are made and easily available in the USA. But I realise you can't just shell out a couple of hundred pounds for one, and have to adapt what you have. The diagonal trick is good advice.
thanks to everyone's reply (and to Woody girl for pointing out i'm in a different location than most of you :p ) -- there's quite a few ideas i can fiddle around with:finger: (as soon as the howling monkeys vacate the trees around my shelter) -- having a rather large backyard (i don't own the farm but it's about 20ha) is rather helpful....

the hammock i got is the "highlander nomad" (no connection to them other than having traded one of their products for a couple of wooden spoons :p ): according to the internet it measures 275cm x 145cm, it's a gathered-end version -- not sure if that's small or big for a hammock (especially for a side sleeper).... for now i'll use it, but should i upgrade in the future i'll more likely try and find someone locally who's capable of making ome to my specifications as that's probably less hassle than getting gear from overseas :-(

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Have a play about with the one you have. Gathered end hammocks are easy to make; you just need a the fabric and can even try different lengths and width with any fabric or even a plastic tarp. I’m short but prefer a longer hammock than that. Another consideration is having protection from mosquitoes and other biters that can bite you through the hammock base where your body makes the fabric tight to your body.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
i know this might sound like a stupid question...:
i normally prefer to sleep on the ground and only occasionally used a hammock in the past as a back-up for the few occasions when i could find no suitable spot on the ground. last year i got a hammock in a trade for carving some spoons and as i'm living in a tropical rainforest these days (where sleeping on the ground isn't such a good idea -- which is why hammocks were invented in these parts by indigenous peoples long time ago...) it's now my sleeping method when out for a night in the jungle. my problem is however that i can't get any sleep in a hammock no matter how tired i am -- i always end up awake, laying on my back (which isn't my normal sleeping position) after a short time dozing off...

to cut short a long rant: are there any tricks for side sleepers?! or does the body adjust after a few nights in a hammock?!
I'm with you on this and was wondering if one of the "Lay Flat" designs might work. I don't know if anyone here has used one? I have bought a NightCat Lay Flat, but have yet to try it as a hammock. Works well as a bivvy on the ground though.......

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I've just made a gathered end hammock and even at 4metres long I can't get comfortable in it because it is only 145cm wide. Somebody local has suggested getting two shower curtains and using them because shower curtains come in very wide fabric and you can sew two together to get the length you need, I am told that longer is always better

Reactions: gg012

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
I am currently using a Warbonnet Blackbird, my previous hammock was a Hennessy both good comfortable hammocks. The Blackbird has the edge due to it being roomier but for me not a huge step up in comfort although it does have some other cool features.
My preferred sleeping position is starting out on my left side then tossing and turning all night, I'm a fidgety sleeper!
As for flatness the only real way to get a roughly flat sleep is to lie diagonally across it.
I find if I start in the normal banana position on my back then scoot myself down so my head is a bit lower than my feet then shift into the diagonal position, I can get in to a pretty flat side position. At some point during the night, I will have to wake and reposition either to my right side or back.
All of this is dependent on the hammock being set up properly. if its too loose or too tight it will affect your body position.

To the OP, I would try to work out how to get in the diagonal side sleep position and see if you can get comfortable like that. You could try experimenting with pillows too, I found that lying in the side position my head was a slightly awkward angle which kept me waking up to reposition. Also experiment with which way diagonally you sleep as one may be more comfortable/restrictive i.e. face to the middle of the hammock or face to the outside if trying to side sleep. And finally, I see you are in the tropics are you warm enough or too warm to sleep ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE