How to scare other campers away

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
mousetraps.

I know what I am liike after camping after a heavy night. Guaranteed to get me.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
People at the Moot had a hard time when someones alarmclock went of at 6 in the morning ... Some are cheap, small and throw out a lot of volume and they can be time set. Of course it's best just to confront them, so they can learn.

ah see now that is brilliant!
set mouse traps around camp to go off every 45 mins/hour or so, but hide them so they have to crawl out of the tent and find them. damn thats just evil. LOVE IT

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
You shouldn't have to clean up after others but I think cleaning the site does work. Leaving rubbish around encourages others to do the same. I've encountered a similar problem and found that it lasted for only a couple of years after which the youngsters grew up and moved on to other things.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
flatten the tent with them in it !!!then just kick them around for a bit !!!............... sorry av been on the beer !!!! :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Approach them in the morning. Traps and all this nonsense may be fun but where is the message for them? If they don't understand what they're doing wrong they won't change.

Also, I wouldn't call the police straight away if they don't tidy up in the evening. If you're drinking a mess forms around you - give them the chance to tidy up in the morning once sober, if they don't go have a word, or take their photos (if you can) and their reg plates (or use your tracking skills to follow them home if they haven't driven in).

I often camp on the east coast of Loch Lomand. But look at this: http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org...nd-camping-byelaws-proposals/menu-id-611.html

It is good, I suppose, but at the same time if camping sauvage is banned outright on the loch I will be very sad as there are a few different spots along the lochs' coast I love.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
You shouldn't have to clean up after others but I think cleaning the site does work. Leaving rubbish around encourages others to do the same. I've encountered a similar problem and found that it lasted for only a couple of years after which the youngsters grew up and moved on to other things.

There is wisdom in this. The more we've tidied up the farm I work on over the years the more the scallywags we work with have chosen to keep it clean themselves. I believe police research reflects this as well.

Biker

Love Ahjno's idea of the alarm clock. How about setting several of them hidden away in the brush but close enough to disturb them then stagger the times that they go off through the night. Maybe leave a note on each of the clocks saying: "Take your crap home with you" repeating it as each alarm clock is discovered. The last clock can have the note:

"Do we have an understanding? If not, it'll get worse, much worse, I have friends on an internet forum who are just full of nasty tricks they suggest we play on you." Muhahahahahahahaha! (no point letting them now there's only one of you.)

Could work.

As for confronting them directly and appealing to their sense of fairplay and consideration for the environment. I thnk their actions have shown that they have niether. Don't waste your breath or risk a kicking, cos' it could happen. Confrontations are best left to the professionals who can deal with it, unless you're a bouncer or Mr Intimidation himself then be my guest and have a word with them.

budgetbus

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2010
Nuneaton
How about trying to educate them ? anyone reading this could get the distinct impression that its an age thing, those older and more experienced should help the young ones. How about engaging with them, rather than trying to scare them.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Of course depending on where the land is, you could always tell the land owner of what you saw whilst out on your "walk", they'll be gone soon enough if it's a farmers gaff, there is no more terrifying sight than a Farmer in full effect.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Why not just have a polite word with them, whilst they are still sober and tell them the error of there ways, hopefully they will take it on board, if not resort to gorilla tactics lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE