How to scare other campers away

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
It probably only works in Canada (or USA) but I once scared the living bejaysus out of a tankie colleague of mine by sneaking to the back of his bivvi with a can of compo rice (it is dried rice in a tin). After giving it a bit of a shake and a tap to the side of the bivvi he was awake.
I then proceeded to impersonate a fairly unamused rattlesnake by shaking the tin and and smacking the side of said bivvy. After about 3 minutes of these antics he managed to wrestle himself from the green maggot and stood and ran taking bivvi, bag et-al with him. He sadly didn't get far as the rest of the squadron was stood all around him enjoying the spectacle..... needless to say I was not his best mate for some time......

I'm sure most chavs would not know that we don't have rattlesnakes here in blighty so it may just work ;o)

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Get a few mates together, dress up as policemen, slap each one of them with an on the spot fine (to the value of whatever is in their pockets), and buy us all a beer with the proceeds ;)

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Personally if this happened to me, during the night I would be tempted to put a bit of their crap into a black bin bag, stake it to the ground, and leave a polite note saying "If you don't tidy up after yourself next time, either you deal with me, or I call the police." and sign it "Man of the Woods"

Polite, to the point, non-threatening and not likely to get you in trouble. Pure scare tactics might discourage them from camping there, but ideally you need to teach these louts HOW they should be behaving, because chances are they'd just go and do the same elsewhere.

Morrolan

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Lots of suggestions thanks guys.

Well I dont think I will be having a word with them. If they are burning their camp chairs and tents on the fire before they leave, you cannot reason with such people as you really need to be thick as **** to think its OK to do that. Its like telling a scallywag its bad to stab people with a knife. he knows this already, and explaining that the other chap will be in pain is no news to him. (sorry for extreme example)

Also, thinking about it more in depth, when I was young and dumb I took a air rifle with me when camping, so maybe creeping around their tents at night might get me shot. Sometimes there a gang of 15 of them or so, sometimes just two of them. Either way, I cannot change the world, as soon as I scare them off some other's will arrive. Its not my fight and after a long thought I think I will just let it be.

Also calling the police will be very difficult as its a remote area i.e. no road names I can give and I bet the police themselves will get lost in the woods.

I guess Im just greatful that after 15 years no one has passed through my camp spot as its very hidden, I only see the rubish when I decide to go for a wander around the woods. *cross' fingers*

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE