How safe are women alone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The reality is that being safe from personal attack is not a gender issue. Neither is it a size / bulk issue. Rape can, and does, occur to both genders and both can be very, very reluctant to report the issue.

Statistics do indicate that you are more likely to be a victim of a violent assault as a man than a woman, but more likely to be a sexual victim as a woman than a man. Both rely on reported statistics and both genders can be reluctant to report crime for a variety of reasons. Many men are, in reality the subject of assaults by women - and are both reluctant to fight back or report the issue for fear of being seen as either a violent abuser (fighting back) or a "wuss" (reporting the crime).

The truth is even a large, imposing and phsically fit male can be the victim of unprovoked assault (the "gunslinger" effect).

The truth is that all people need to take care of their personal safety - men just as much as women. The reality of being out in the countryside is that you are far more likely to come to phsical harm from natural hazards (a trip, fall, bad weather, tree fall etc.) than you are from another human. One attempts to mitigate such risks through learning, awareness and equipment. One can, if one chooses, extend mitigation to the threat of physical assault -however as with enviromental hazards, avoiding putting yourself in an unduly hazardous situation will always be the safest strategy.

The point of all of this is that there is no safe option. Country or town. Man or woman. Go in company? Statistics say you are far more likely to be attacked by someone you know than a stranger.

Life is all about risk, and, for me, I don't want a sanitised, regulated, cotton wool wrapped life. Thats a lot of the attraction of the "wilds". Sure I may burn myself on a fire, yes I may get cold or wet, slip, stumble or fall, cut myself with a knife or whatever. Its my job to ensure these things don't happen. Sometimes they will happen despite my best efforts to avoid them. But, for all of that, being in charge of myself is a great part of the enjoyment for me.

I would not wish a physical attack on anyone (male or female), but for each of us, we need to decide, as with so many other elements of Bushcraft and indeed life, whether the probability of a bad outcome is enough to forgo the pleasure of the most likely and pleasant one.

Red

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
some mixed messages I'm getting. sounds like some women here have had trouble, so its best I take heed from other peoples stories. I was going to get pepper spary, but its illegal. I think its rediculous that its illegal, it doesnt even do damage. All a woman can carry is a can of staining paint which marks their attacker and is advertised as "kind to eyes and skin" If someone attacked me Id like to spray them with something that scarred them for life and blinded them to be honest :(

You can get away with a small bag of chilli powder in your pocket "for cooking Y'know" But seriously I have many female friends who camp and walk in wild places and as mentioned before you're more likely to be hassled in towns. Chav's, hoodies, Neds etc tend to feel vunerable outside towns so don't venture into the woods where the boogieman lives...Only people as daft as us do that. You are sensible in your approach though. Try regular campsites first with the usual facilities and perhaps a warden, then try something a bit more wild... Get out and have fun.. You'll love it !!:)

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
With regards to PicT's story I believe being armed is a deterrant,and as they say prevention is better than the cure. or ,better to have it and not need it,than to need it and not have it,face it in todays messed up world nobody is safe all these people saying "media hype, people enjoying countryside just like you" etc in the nicest possible way get a grip, not to patronise but as you all know the world is not a nice place and not everyone is as friendly as your average bushcrafter, its Human nature to see an oppuruntity and take it.
I was in the woods months back about 5 meters away some guy (dressed as what you would call a ..chav, stormed past me sweating like hell, carrying a blue box (presumably stolen and running from someone) he glance and saw me, he dropped the box and stormed towards me looking as if he was attempting a come on and i casually pulled my knife and the coward soon changed his attitutde, he stopped abruptly and was giving it the "err you got a light mate" as much as i would have liked to give him the good news i threw him a lighter and he sheepishly trotted off with his box, I know for a fact i would have had to bury his body if i didnt have my knife at hand that day but instead all i did was move camp and the worry was over.

Cal

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I was in the woods months back about 5 meters away some guy (dressed as what you would call a ..chav, stormed past me sweating like hell, carrying a blue box (presumably stolen and running from someone) he glance and saw me, he dropped the box and stormed towards me looking as if he was attempting a come on and i casually pulled my knife and the coward soon changed his attitutde, he stopped abruptly and was giving it the "err you got a light mate" as much as i would have liked to give him the good news i threw him a lighter and he sheepishly trotted off with his box, I know for a fact i would have had to bury his body if i didnt have my knife at hand that day but instead all i did was move camp and the worry was over.

Cal

Which Andy McNab novel is that out of? Must be the new one I havent read yet:confused:

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
With regards to PicT's story I believe being armed is a deterrant,and as they say prevention is better than the cure. or ,better to have it and not need it,than to need it and not have it,face it in todays messed up world nobody is safe all these people saying "media hype, people enjoying countryside just like you" etc in the nicest possible way get a grip, not to patronise but as you all know the world is not a nice place and not everyone is as friendly as your average bushcrafter, its Human nature to see an oppuruntity and take it.
I was in the woods months back about 5 meters away some guy (dressed as what you would call a ..chav, stormed past me sweating like hell, carrying a blue box (presumably stolen and running from someone)

Cal

Not wishing to patronise either but if everyone thought like you none of us would ever leave the house! We have to have a bit of common sense of course, and if carrying some sort of defense spray/ knife etc makes you feel more confident great, but at the same time I think that most people are pretty friendly where I come from and you'd be really unlucky to bump into someone who isn't.
I guess it's location location location. Your woods can't be very far from town if there are chavs running loose in it!! :eek:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
in the nicest possible way get a grip, not to patronise.......
I was in the woods months back about 5 meters away some guy ....... saw me, he dropped the box and stormed towards me looking as if he was attempting a come on and i casually pulled my knife and the coward soon changed his attitutde, he stopped abruptly ...... as much as i would have liked to give him the good news i threw him a lighter and he sheepishly trotted off with his box, I know for a fact i would have had to bury his body if i didnt have my knife at hand that day but instead all i did was move camp and the worry was over.

Cal

Cal you are SO brave, I wish you were with me when I got a splinter the other day!

I'm sure your stories will go down a storm in the barrack block every night.

Ogri the trog

greeneggcat

Forager
Sep 9, 2005
wet wet gloucestershire
Hi just thought i woud try to put this back on track.....

Have you heard of or thought of one of these? www.adventuretradingpost.co.uk

I am considering getting one for a solo exped later in the year. Not just for fear of attack, but being female there may be a little bit of that, also for incase of accident as i never seem to be able to get a mobile signal where i go.

I generally walk with a big sturdy stick ,being covered in tattoos and having had a dubious youth i do look a bit dangerous. My most powerful weapon though is observation. Being in tune with the enviroment i am in allows me to percieve if something is out of kilter.

Most predators prefer areas where the prey is plentiful and where they exert as little effort as possible. I have never had a problem out in wilderness areas, but have had problems in the city/town.

This is just reality, yes bad things do happen but i refuse to let this fact spoil my quality of life. Life is all about taking calculated risks, i belive that this is how we learn. ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi just thought i woud try to put this back on track.....

Have you heard of or thought of one of these? www.adventuretradingpost.co.uk

I am considering getting one for a solo exped later in the year. Not just for fear of attack, but being female there may be a little bit of that, also for incase of accident as i never seem to be able to get a mobile signal where i go.

)
they look quite useful,,, if you happen to be in or going to a place where there is Globalstar coverage, sadly not everywhere in the world is covered by their comSats. see map

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham

Cal

Aye, you've got a good imagination for a sixteen year old. You should think about writing some fiction.

Eric

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
If the truth of the matter involved members of the bushcraft fraternity drawing knives on members of the public out in the woods, I would much rather he was bullsh*ting us, as I suspect is probably the case. Cut him some slack though I used to dish out some horrendously far-fetched lies when I was his age, and not just to the girls. Sadly I still feel the need to do so on some occasions, but normally just when I have been drinking. Righto must go as NASA are on the phone they have accepted me onto their astronaut training programme:rolleyes: oooh look a flying pig!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Oh for heavens sake behave yourselves. Just go and do it. What a load of twaddlle. (spelling)
Don't take a big stick........... In close quarters you can't swing a big stick. Take a small maglite and if anyone gets too close shove the end of it into his throat/temple/eye with force..............job done. Go and enjoy yourself....... Life's too short.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Go and enjoy yourself....... Life's too short.

Agreed, get out there...

:)

Almost all of the bad people are to be found in the towns and cities, not the countryside or wilderness.

However if you are still concerned about traveling alone, do not rely on big sticks, maglites or edged tools (perhaps more importantly lets avoid talking on the forum about using our edged tools for any purpose other than as a tool for bushcraft). Instead invest in a Krav Maga course (about £100 for two days or £30 for an afternoon).

http://www.krav-maga-uk.com/eventFull.php?id=63

http://www.institute-kravmaga.co.uk/seminars.asp#sem16

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Agreed, get out there...

Almost all of the bad people are to be found in the towns and cities, not the countryside or wilderness.

However if you are still concerned about traveling alone, do not rely on big sticks, maglites or edged tools (perhaps more importantly lets avoid talking on the forum about using our edged tools for any purpose other than as a tool for bushcraft). Instead invest in a Krav Maga course (about £100 for two days or £30 for an afternoon).

http://www.krav-maga-uk.com/eventFull.php?id=63

http://www.institute-kravmaga.co.uk/seminars.asp#sem16

Life really will be too short if a woman don't look after herself! ;)
I wouldnt trust self defense courses, I suspect most are happy to make money out of people. I remember Lofty Wiseman saying in his street survival book that people dont have time to employ these techniques. Kicking and punching is inaffective for a woman and instead we must poke eyes and throats violents, bite , savage , scream and headbutt. They dont teach these real survival skills on self defense courses.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Kicking and punching is inaffective for a woman and instead we must poke eyes and throats violents, bite , savage , scream and headbutt. They dont teach these real survival skills on self defense courses.

I think you may be surprised by just how effective a womans kicks and punches can be and how much even the most peaceable person can pick up, even in an afternoon.

Head butts, eye pokes, defense against a stronger opponent and much else would be covered, but not necessarily encouraged.

However I don't doubt that all the hoo haa in the press about hoodies and gang crime will have encouraged the creation of many fly by night schools out to make a quick buck, however that wouldn't be the case if you booked a course through the IKMF(UK) website.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE