How safe are we

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Yes, but we don't camp in the big cities so you can discount those statistics.

<snip>

And as far as statistics go you are more likely to be killed by your doctor than a gun.

What I meant was getting accidentally shot by a hunter. It apparantly happens more often than wild animal attacks.

Originally Posted by Jared
Or something irritiating flying things, midges etc. Even where there are big predatory wildcats, mozzies still come out on top for deaths caused.

Very true. Mosquito's have been responsible for more deaths than the combined fatalities from every war in the last 100 years.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Tell me some of these big cat stories beside a campfire in the middle of the night after a few beers and you'd see me looking worried ;) It's amazing what darkness does to the imagination :eek:

Wait till Sat night and I will tell you about the BIG cat I saw and where I think its lair is.;) but you will be sworn to secrecy.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Hey Spammel, I used to work with an old boy who was stationed at Belsen in the 50's - he told me countless ghost stories about the place, both anecdotal and first-hand.

And funny you mention about your spare undies, as one night on watch he said he saw a clearly anguished male figure crawling across a large expanse of forecourt towards him in silence, and long story short, he wished he had a spare pair with him too.

He was a really straight-shooting bloke. No nonsense. I definitely wouldn't pitch my hammock there without a couple liters of holy water to hand! :theyareon

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
A friend and i were away to Tolohill, up beside rynie for a camp and theres a field you have to cross in order to get on the path.. we ended up getting chased away by Cows.. and i mean chased.. i thot cows were freindly until that night now i have nightmares about them.. :'(

As for big cats theres meant to be one lurking around where i live..more than likely at the Dee

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Wait till Sat night and I will tell you about the BIG cat I saw and where I think its lair is.;) but you will be sworn to secrecy.

Of course you and switch'll post a full report of the weekend early next week - If you both make it back :eek: :D

A bloke I used to work with saw and followed a big black cat whilst out walking the dog in the Wigan area. This chap is ex military and straight as a die and I had no reason to doubt his story. He was featured in the local paper in an interview.

Edit: When I say followed I mean went down the hill to where he had saw it but I can't remember if he said he saw any tracks but I doubt it otherwise I'd had definitely remembered.

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
If you want wild in times past you used to be able to camp pretty much anywhere in the Okavango swamp in Botswana. Concessions were "owned" by an operator and you could camp anywhere with their permision. NO fences!! You literally got all sorts walking through camp from lion to elephant. Sitting around a fire with a ring of eyes just in the darkness takes some getting used to!! Hyenas!! The feeling at the time was as long as none of you stuck out of the tent to tempt a bite you were ok :D Food needed to be stored in steel boxes and locked to stop mostly Hyenas and baboons swiping it. Brilliant place and still largely unspoiled.

Ex African

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Its not the trees you have to worry about, its the fog. Have you ever seen the fil the fog. scares the begeeeees out of me.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Watch out for deadfall aswell, I went out with the kids a while abck for an afternoon walk and a huge branch fell out of the tree about ten metres away. Made one hell of a racket and if we'd have been under it....Squasho!!!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
if they are big trees and the branches are big it can be scary.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
D

davesurvivor

ive seen no evidence of wildcats in lancashire,but have found what i think is pig excrement in woodland areas.does any one know if badger turd is similar to pigs < this was big thick peices<hennce the expression (thick as pig s£$)t i will look for more evidence of boars does any one know what signs to look for

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE