how much is too much ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
so guys I am going for a day hike in this beautiful place , to see 3 different color lakes which are next to eachother and have the same water

shttps://www.google.com/search?q=abudelauri+lakes&client=opera&hs=rAH&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBv6Pfw4zNAhWI6xQKHaDdDhYQ_AUICCgC&biw=1600&bih=790

I am taking a trip , 100 people are coming , I am not happy about that , I prefer less people but what can we do I want to go here for months , One week ago I started working out and still have one week to come in shape , It is really rainy area so we might not be able to go with cars until the last village so the 20 km on both sides will grow to 40-45 km I don't think I will be able to walk that distance , what do you experienced hikers think is 40 km too much ?

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In my walking prime (uninjured, 20 years old fit, Long Distance Walking my main interest) I would often walk 25 miles/40K in a day with 3 days backpacking kit ("vintage" gear it would be called today) - about 20kg to 25kg in weight on my back, over quite tough terrain (Dartmoor, Pennines, Wales ) but it was tough going... I was happier with sub 20 miles/32k distances even then!
I once did 30 miles/ 48k in a day with full backpacking kit - but it half killed me!
You need to be very fit and used to walking to do those distances without hating it.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
In my walking prime (uninjured, 20 years old fit, Long Distance Walking my main interest) I would often walk 25 miles/40K in a day with 3 days backpacking kit ("vintage" gear it would be called today) - about 20kg to 25kg in weight on my back, over quite tough terrain (Dartmoor, Pennines, Wales ) but it was tough going... I was happier with sub 20 miles/32k distances even then!
I once did 30 miles/ 48k in a day with full backpacking kit - but it half killed me!
You need to be very fit and used to walking to do those distances without hating it.

Wow ! now thats a lot , few months ago I walked 15k with 14kilo backpack and when I was home I was half dead , I am not very fit but the thing is that the backpack won't be heavy , I am taking a rain jacket coat liner for when it gets cold , food for one day , half litre of water (there is water everywhere where I am going) camera and tripod , I think that is all , we wont be making camp fire and cooking food there will be no time for that we are leaving 5 in the morning and should be back at 11 in the evening , I talked with the guide and told me that the worst case people have been there on the full (35-40) km road , people way far from fit , the terrain is medium until the first two lakes and from there the third one is in 3km and that is pretty hard terrain , that is what I was told

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
oh , I was just told that the river is not drinkable it has some snow worms in it , I have potable aqua water filtration tablets will it work on them ?
How much should I take for one day ? 1 litre , there is a water source in the village I was told now

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
27 miles or so, tiring but shouldn't be a problem if you do any walking. Our 30 or 25 mile challenge walks in Berkshire, all to be completed in under 8 hours, had all sorts of people starting and finishing. I would question a crowd of 100 to get most enjoyment. The front will be moving off as the tail arrives at each beauty spot. Do you really need to be part of tour? Must be well beaten trail to follow.

Best unexpected 26 miler was in Wiltshire during a Devizes Marathon. A 16 year-old was told he was too young so he just trotted off after the start and finished in a decent time wearing jeans, shirt and possibly trainers. On our challenge walks we would have pre-teens playing around during rest stops instead of actually resting.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you are young and with healthy body you eill make it easily.
But practice walking in terrain, using the same boots you will take on the hike. The more you practice, the more pleasurable it will be.
As it comes to water, you can place a double dose of water purifications tablets in the water. Harmless but will kill the bugs.
I assume you can get hold of Russian Army Chlorine tablets?

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
No I don't have russian army tablets , I heard that for the first time I may take that in mind in future.
I have a question about food , what food should I take ? ready to go food , something with lot of energy but which I can carry ready to eat without boiling and stuff

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I wrote Russian Army as I thought you would be swamped with their stock, both old as new! Army stuff is usually cheap and very functional, hence my idea.

You want Chlorine tablets. Some modern ones contain other chemicals too, those I would not take in excess.
Chlorine is safe to take.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A few sandwiches and an apple or a mars bar or two. No need for anything trail special really. It is a walk.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, absolutely, but if he wants to drink he needs to purify it, he mentioned unpure water.
It is a walk, you are correct.
The only negative I see, and that would be a deal breaker for me, is the number of bodies on that walk.
100 people walking in a group means a very uneven tempo, chewed up track, delays....
No thanks!

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Yes, absolutely, but if he wants to drink he needs to purify it, he mentioned unpure water.
It is a walk, you are correct.
The only negative I see, and that would be a deal breaker for me, is the number of bodies on that walk.
100 people walking in a group means a very uneven tempo, chewed up track, delays....
No thanks!

yeah it is too much , but the road there is open only for 3-4 months with my schedule now is the only time for me to visit it, it is so beautiful it is worth everything ! :)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
100 people of mixed fitness, having to complete that walk in one day? The people leading the walk will need the patience of a saint.

I reckon you aren't carrying enough water. A half litre is simply not enough. Even if you could find supplies along the way, that isn't enough.

For one thing, you should never go out equipped just for the day. You should always have enough to survive a night out. Maybe you are fine, but say someone in the group gets injured and they need some people to stay with the injured ones? Maybe someone loses their water and food or forgets it? You should have enough to keep yourself ok for at least 36 hours or longer, and then you can safely share.

As for covering the distance, make sure you are wearing shoes or boots that don't give you blisters. That's more important than the footgear being particularly strong or waterproof.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
100 people of mixed fitness, having to complete that walk in one day? The people leading the walk will need the patience of a saint.

I reckon you aren't carrying enough water. A half litre is simply not enough. Even if you could find supplies along the way, that isn't enough.

For one thing, you should never go out equipped just for the day. You should always have enough to survive a night out. Maybe you are fine, but say someone in the group gets injured and they need some people to stay with the injured ones? Maybe someone loses their water and food or forgets it? You should have enough to keep yourself ok for at least 36 hours or longer, and then you can safely share.

As for covering the distance, make sure you are wearing shoes or boots that don't give you blisters. That's more important than the footgear being particularly strong or waterproof.

Yeah the ones I wore in past 2 trips was way to heavy and gave me insane blisters , now I went back to my old boots which I wore about 12-14 times hunting , I don't count how much I walk while hunting but that is almost all day and I have never had blisters with it . I will take 1.5 litre of water I think and much food , you are right , I didn't think about that , I always have a med kit and needed it quite a few times , so I will go through it , see what I am missing and will add it so that I have a full med kit with me. Thanks for the advice

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
there are no woods it is very high so I dont need an axe

I was pulling your leg!

I personally would not take lots of food for a one day trip. I would take some dried fruit instead. Light, full of sugar (= energy). Figs, dates, apples and sultanas.

Go light, and laugh at your overloaded friends!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I always pack some GORP and an MRE in my day bag. I also have a 1 litre bottle of water in there as well as 750ml that I carry in my hand. I take my day bag with me even if it's for a walk with the kids or family.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I just came home from the lakes it is 4 am , 35km with 10kg pack DONE ! It was really really hard but it was totally worth it after I saw the lakes coming back was like water in river , with no effort at all
I will post pictures and a small video tomorrow :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE