Blue Ground Beetle (Ray Mears Wilderness Walks)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Evening all.

I watched the 1st episode of Wilderness Walks with Ray Mears when it first aired on ITV a good few weeks ago. Not long after watching the episode I went out for a solo overnighter with my camera with the intention of capturing some good sunset shots. This didn't happen, however I did come accross what I believe is the Blue Ground Beetle which featured in the Ray Mears programme.

After a little research it seems that this beetle is rare, and known sightings in England are only in the South West. I live in the North West so, if possible I would like a second opinion. This is the link to google images:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=blue+ground+beetle

Wilderness Walks is still on ITV player and you can see the beetle at approx 12 minutes 11 seconds.
and here are my pics:

IMG_3941.jpgIMG_3942.jpgIMG_3943.jpg

Any help or opinions much appreciated.

Cheers

Stu

Jackdaw

As has already been said, likely to be the violet ground beetle. Unfortunately for most insects their differention to species/sub-species level can often involve having their private parts disected! I used to work with an entomologist:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE