Kydex sheath for machette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Hi all,

I have just purchased myself a new big knife as i felt i needed something bigger than my Mora for when i don't have an axe.

The knife i have gone for is the Anglo Arms Kalahari.

search

My question is, has anyone built a Kydex sheath for this sort of shape and size blade as i'm unsure exactly how to go about tackling the curve of the blade.

Any help much appreciated.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I make my sheaths/covers for my various billhooks (curved/hooked blade) from plastic down-pipe, easily heated and formed and can generally be found next to or under the matrass in any skip you walk past, these tend to be functional rather than pretty but that suits me and is only because I don't need pretty. I leave the back open so the full length of the knife spine is showing ( a simple bungee loop holds it in place in the sheath which hangs easily though heavy on a belt) the reason for leaving the back open is ease of access and also I can use a flint safely on the spine with the sharp bit covered when fire lighting, don't even have to take it off the belt, I do normally have a piece of Para cord on the bottom of the sheath/cover to tie the bigger heavier hooks onto my leg (gunslinger style) to stop them bouncing about but that is my choice not a necessity.

D.B.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Unless its a straight machette your goning to have to be inventive to cope with the change in width of the blade - part of the back edge will need to be missing and you'll need to sort some sort o0f retention - straps with poppers is the simplest

FGYT would be somone to talk to but I hesitate to say the sheath will be woth more than that blade

NOt really a machete (usually 3mm or thinner and 18-24" plus long) more a camp knife (shorter and thicker )

yes easy enough to make a kydex sheath for from me would be approx 50 pounds includes postage but you would also need to sent the knife to me may pr may not be worth it

Heres a similier size knife (my XL camp Nessy) with a Broke back basic kydex sheath holds the Knife in Fine with no Strap

12513749_1293306874017717_8469784545981626180_o.jpg

12898160_1293306927351045_7492664934201892818_o.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Haha! Thats exactly the one I was looking at Duncan, this morning, when I googled how to make a DC4 kydex holster.
[Its on the back isnt it?]

Dont want to hijack the thread, [sorry OP] but can I ask, where you get your bolts from to hold the kydex in place?

Ive just ordered some chicago screws, and then looked on youtube, and see they strip very easily under pressure.

For quarter inch eyelets, busse BWM

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Thank you all.

Those pics were kinda what i was thinking.

I watched a couple of your kydex vids last nite FGYT, very educational.

Will post when i actually make something.

What thinkness kydex would you suggest for this? 2mm?

Haha! Thats exactly the one I was looking at Duncan, this morning, when I googled how to make a DC4 kydex holster.
[Its on the back isnt it?]

Dont want to hijack the thread, [sorry OP] but can I ask, where you get your bolts from to hold the kydex in place?

Ive just ordered some chicago screws, and then looked on youtube, and see they strip very easily under pressure.

For quarter inch eyelets, busse BWM

I use steel bolts and posts or for military/jungle/marine use all stainless
I buy in bulk and several lengths from Chicagoscrews.com

Aluminium are ok but can break on larger heavy blades

This one didn't have the DC4 holder but a similar one did .I changed the way I do them on the last one

13754138_1386490104699393_8512648337294784839_n.jpg

Last edited:

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
I have heard that sections of some plastic car bumpers can be recycled into useful sheaths for the larger blade, but have yet to try it myself. If I was going to I would probably look for the sort that can be repaired using plastic welding techniques as these are also probably easy to mould using a hot air gun.

Only a thought,

Regards,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE