welders help required!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you can help me. I have picked up a genuine eames chair for a very very good price however I only got this price because one of the bars supporting the back rest is broken, I think it is made of die cast aluminium. What would be the best way to weld this? Is there any trick to it, ive never welded diecast ali so dont know how to tackle it.

This is the chair

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eames+chair&client=ms-android-samsung&hl=en-GB&source=android-browser-type&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JFvEUvqjKuuA7QaDwYHoAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=360&bih=615&rlz=1Y1XIUG_enGB543GB543#biv=i%7C81%3Bd%7CyXcwZm9v95Zg6M%3A

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you can help me. I have picked up a genuine eames chair for a very very good price however I only got this price because one of the bars supporting the back rest is broken, I think it is made of die cast aluminium. What would be the best way to weld this? Is there any trick to it, ive never welded diecast ali so dont know how to tackle it.

This is the chair

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eames+chair&client=ms-android-samsung&hl=en-GB&source=android-browser-type&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JFvEUvqjKuuA7QaDwYHoAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=360&bih=615&rlz=1Y1XIUG_enGB543GB543#biv=i%7C81%3Bd%7CyXcwZm9v95Zg6M%3A

It's been a while since I had anything to do with welding but I'm pretty sure you'll need a TIG welder. I don't believe MIG will do it. Tack it in place I guess..

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
Hi, Tig welding is the best way i've found for Ali. However its not easy so if you've not done any before then probably best to take it to a fabrication shop. Shouldn't cost much.

Could you use an extra piece of Ali and pin it together in some way? Spray it up after etc

MattF

Nomad
Dec 16, 2009
Derbyshire
There is Company in Clay Cross that does Aluminium welding don't know the name but can ask if your intrested

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I can weld regular aluminium, was just wondering if die cast makes welding it any different? I initially tried putting a small plate of ali inside the brackets (they're hollow) and then used aryldite to fix it together but that wasnt strong enough...which was quite shocking!

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
If you can get plate inside, try popping a few counter sunk pins in. Drill n tap the plate etc. Bit of filler, a rub down, respray and good as new :)

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Hi mate don't muck about with it take it to a professional welder and get it sorted properly. It will need to be tig welded but should not be expensive.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I'm a welding engineer for Rolls Royce nuclear submarines division, think I'll be able to TIG weld it up just wanted to double check it performed the same as regular ali or if there were any special requirements

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE