How much has this site/ interest cost you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I'm a believer in getting by with less ,but at the same time I'm a kit junkie. I've learned on here and links from here how to manage on fairly little kit. But I was thinking about it and I reckon I've spent a bit in doing so, some on stuff I no longer use, some on stuff I use a fair bit a lot of it I heard about on here. I don't begrudge that one bit, I'm just not sure if that is a paradox or an investment. I've spent even more on walking kit but the stuff I'm listing here is as much bushcrafty as it is for going up hills......

Titantex cotton smock £ 20, not a bad bit of kit but I never ever wear it these days. In all honesty this was cash wasted.

Paramo Fuera smock £40, excellent, I'm happy to wear it pretty much anytime with appropriate layers other than when it is persisting with rain.

Paramo Velez smock - £130 , well worth the cash, I use this when mountain walking and honestly believe its the best coat I've ever bought. Just wish it had more pockets.

Sealskinz waterproof beanie hat £15. Love it.

Opinel knives £15- the smallest non locking one I carry most days, a bigger one comes on my bimbles .

Frosts mora £8 - excellent value for money. In truth I rarely carry it with me but if I'm doing a bit of carving at home its my go-to knife.

A small sami style knife £20- again I believe very good value for money, but again I don't use it much.

A stainless steel cuttlery holder when woolies was still trading - £3 . Surprisingly good bit of kit. I've used it in the garden a few times and it perfroms quite well as a mini stove.

Hexy burner complete with hexi tabs £5- a decent enough bit of kit, made a few brews with it.

Steel mug £5- another good bit of kit. Comes with me when I'm out on hills as well as just out bimbling.

Light my fire firesteel £10 - to be fair my mum in law bought this for me but I reckon it still counts. I'm amazed at how good this bit of kit is. Even a no brainer like me can use it .

5 cheapo lighters £1 - they all work even! Got one in most coat pockets.

Tarpaulin from the local market £5- lives in the back of my car. I've never used it to build an actual shelter if I'm honest - but I made one in the back garden with it once just to be sure I actually could.

Paracord - that isn't actually parachute cord £4. Its Ok but not what I thought I was buying.

More torches than you can shake a stick at. I had over twenty at one point but some have been retired. I bought ten of the keyfob lights from dealextreme for about £5 and to be honest they are all I really need most of the time.

Cheap tent from sainsbury's £5- lives in the back of the car as well. I don't think this would last long but its always nice to know its there should I find myself having to camp up for a night or two. An old sleeping bag , some water and a few bits of grub live there too.

Books,

A few of Rays, probably about £40 worth. All good.
Cody Lundins two books £25 total- wish I'd got these first to be honest ( before buying the other stuff), both excellent books on spending little, but more survival than bushcraft.

Bushcraft Dvd's , Rays series 1 &2 £20.

First aid bits and bobs £10.

Thats not all , there's bound to be something I've missed but I work that out to be around £380. I'm sure thats small potatoes compared to many of you though.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm more interested in making than buying.
Buying-wise, after joining this site it got me thinking about using an axe instead of a machete - so I splashed out £15 on a hatchet. It's also got me looking at stainless steel containers as hobo stoves and cheap billys. Maybe spent £20 or so on those.
That's probably about it. I did need a new tarp, but I needed that whether I was on this site or not. But I learnt about DD tarps due to this site - which ironically means the site has probably saved me money than cost me, since otherwise I may have bought a more expensive version.
Although the site hasn't got me buying a lot of new kit (had most before I came here, and I'm not given to peer pressure or feeling I need the right labels), it has given me CARTLOADS of ideas and things to do. There's always something new to move on to. So mentally, it's cost me loads.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
This particular site has made my outdoors budget shrink actually. Wilderness skills training is very cheap. You need very little kit-wise.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've spent £800 in the last two days :eek: Mainly on new kit for this year and some gear for camping with the family

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
After a couple of years, probably between £200 & £250. That's; 2 tarps, 1 hammock, 1 underblanket (home made), pots/pans, cooker (home made), trousers, shoes, jackets, poncho, trousers, hat, rucksack, ropes, FAK, knife, various books.

Not too bad considering. And I'll be trying to make some back this weekend as I'll be bringing a load of stuff to Middlewood :).

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Not sure but a night out on the town will cost you £70 easily by the time u factor in alcohol, club entrance fees, kebab, taxi home. Hangover next day, saturday lost to couch.

think its saved me a fair bit of money and gained me more quality time in the fresh outdoors, away from the pc and tv burning elecy and gas.

has encouraged me to get out more and get healthy and thats "priceless" :lmao:

stoo

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Couldn't agree more, as I said in my original post I don't begrudge the cash at all and all the stuff is useful , potentially life saving even. Its only out of curiosity / discussion I bring it up.

FWIW, I'm probably going to spend more in the short to medium term (woodburner and a small scale solar power project) that I believe will save me money and some marbles long term. Although I've spent a bit, I've learned a lot and gained a lot from using the items I have purchased.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Actually, I have no idea!! Probably not that much actually, as I try to make it self financing, using what I sell to pay for what I need/want (not the same thing;) ) or I'll make it!

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
my kit- indeed most of my possessions are self financing.

if i want something new, i sell something old, so when i bough a swannie- i sold a knife, when i wanted a knife, i sold some bits on ebay etc.

all in all though, i've probbably spent 2-300 on this website.

don't ask me how much i've spent on knives- there aren't enough zeroes

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I could say £0 and in fact possibly save me *£££, Any thing I have got I was going to get any way. Reading reviews has stopped me buying stuff that don't work or has limited applications.

big_swede has it right learning more and carry less.

*less member ship ;)

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I've spent a lot of money (for my budget anyway) on outdoor gear. A quick sum brings me to about 1700£ for the items I usually take with me (not all at the same time though), most of it was bought at reduced prices; I paid at least 500£ less than if I would've gotten everything at RRP... It helps, knowing that I could actually sell some of my gear with profit ;) And I try to buy only very good quality gear, hoping that it'll last me many many years so that I won't have to replace it and spend even more cash...
This forum helped me decide on some Hilleberg, Fjällräven, Woolpower, Alpkit, Highlander and Gränsfors toys... Of which I've been quite happy so far :)

But if I would be travelling from hotel to hotel by car or plane instead of camp and hike, I'm sure it would've cost me quite a bit more. A good tent could last you 20 years and costs about as much as one week of skiing in France... So if you can get out and enjoy using it, it's a very good investment imho! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No - this site /persuit has SAVED me money!
Good advice - buy right buy once!
No wasted money on carp gear that needs instantly replacing, poor gear that wears out too quickly, or stuff that just plain "aint right":cool:
Add to that the fact I sell gear here then this site might actually have earned me a bit of dosh (though only enough to cover some of the meets...:eek: ) over the time I have been here:D

errmmm 2 ways of looking at this..hoboing has cost me next to nothing as i tend to hammer my gear until it is truly ridiculously unusable...my gear for work..financially has been a bit of a millstone but then i spend all day every day running around hills and guiding on sea kayak expeds so after 15 years at it i dont think its cost me anything because of what i get out of it i can paddle anytime i want to and im beholden to no one in terms of gear....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE