How many of you are involved with Scouting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
dont have time to read the full thread but would love to help out (dont have the skills to be a leader). anyone know where i would start, probly best starting with cubs as i'd like to take my son along whose 5 so we could start together. best be off as the boss is watching.

cheers

gaz!!

dont have time to read the full thread but would love to help out (dont have the skills to be a leader). anyone know where i would start, probly best starting with cubs as i'd like to take my son along whose 5 so we could start together. best be off as the boss is watching.

cheers

gaz!!

Hi Gaz,

Take your son to Beavers (age 6-8), Ask to help out at your Cub Pack and by the time your son joins Cubs (age 8-10.5) you'll be well settled.

Bodge, Aka Rama ACL

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
I'm one of the ASL 's at 1st Wylam - been a little over a year now and I love it.

Gaz dont worry about skills for leaders - whatever skills you have you can use and the training can help if you decide to keep going at it.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Beavers is definitely easiest! I'm quite daunted by the prospect of Scouts from late November!

Me too. Scouts and Cubs. Just been to a scout meeting tonight. :)

Don't do Beavers though - I leave that to our Beaver leader who has the patience of a saint.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Are you mad all those little ankle biters give me Scouts anyday. Beaver leaders deserve medals on a regular basis.

Totally agree...did beavers for 18 months, then left my wife to it... she was not impressed...give me big kids any day...though I do help out in all sections...

Mang

Settler
ACSL with Amwell Scout Group via Scout and Beaver sections...9 years worth! Our Group Scout Leader has said that I can start putting some Bushcraft/ Outdoor skills pics and movie clips on our group website.
You may wish to Scout at Escouts
If you join Escouts you can join the Bushcraft & Nature Social Group-It's excellent...but I would say that as I started it up! :D

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Think about it ...it says "to do my duty to god and the queen..."
Surely if you truely believe that you have no duty to them then doing your duty to them concists of ...nothing!
Now - does that put you off still? :D

Like that way of looking at it! Tis perfect! Not so put of now, may well look into it now. Our local group as an excellent centre on an island. Looks fantastic.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
Hi Gaz,

Take your son to Beavers (age 6-8), Ask to help out at your Cub Pack and by the time your son joins Cubs (age 8-10.5) you'll be well settled.

Bodge, Aka Rama ACL

I'm one of the ASL 's at 1st Wylam - been a little over a year now and I love it.

Gaz dont worry about skills for leaders - whatever skills you have you can use and the training can help if you decide to keep going at it.

cheers for that i'll look into it...need to get started somewhere!!

cheers

gaz

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've thinking about it but have no scouting experience whatsoever. I was in the cubs for about 3 weeks then Seamus Mullen spat in my face so I left, I reminded him of it with a kick to the forks shortly after meeting him again 7 years later when I changed school. I'm ex forces and have led in the past but the threat of anything under 16yo terrifies me. Don't have great thoughts about Liz, I didn't vote for her and am not an overall fan of organised religion either. Maybe I'll just leave it.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I've thinking about..... I'm ex forces and have led in the past but the threat of anything under 16yo terrifies me. Don't have great thoughts about Liz, I didn't vote for her and am not an overall fan of organised religion either. Maybe I'll just leave it.

Depends on what your motives are for getting involved...I have no problem with the politics or ethos of scouts, per se, (take no notice of it) just give the youngsters a great experience out of doors.

The only parade I insist on them attending is remembrance...and I wont budge on that one...and to be fair, they attend with a good heart and understanding...its a little more problematic when it comes to St Georges day...but the district got round that this past year with an activities day at the same time. Attendance was good...

Some might say I'm selling myself out, but I like to think I'm being realistic and making the best of an organisation which like many others is not perfect...

Winston

Jun 5, 2010
Preston
Ill raise my hadn to this one, Im an ACSL nowadays, but in my time ive been ASL and VSL. I get to act like a 10 year old once a week and no one raises an eyebrow, and i get to pass my knowledge on to others.

Someone once told me that if i teach someone something and they teach someone else and so on... then that little part of me becomes immortal.. reminds me of the scout leaders prayer for those who know it.

I kind of like the idea of my skills living on after me. Thats part of what bushcraft is about to me. Using the skills of the past in life today.

Hinton (Chil) 2nd Ashton, West Lancs

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Just FYI this weekend we ran a camp to take part in Jamboree on the Internet. Not your normal camp because computers were involved.

The kids slept outside in cardboard boxes and had a soup kitchen in the evening to show them what living on the streets would be like.

They had a fanastic time. But this is not what the post is about!

Two girls, both new to Scouting and who had never stayed away from their parents came. When I say new, I mean two weeks. They didn't sleep in cardboard boxes (this was optional and it did drop to -1) but in a tent. Before the camp they could barely speak to me they were so shy. Now they're conversing with me "adult to adult" with absolutely no hang up.

Last night we had two new visitors, one a buddhist teacher who came to explain the principles of buddhism and did some meditation with them. The other was a leader from another troop who'd come to see what he was like as she's having him speak next week.

The girls instead of sitting quietly in the sidelines jumped straight into the games, running shoving etc fully engaged and involved, asking questions to the strangers - two entirely different girls from last week.

For SCOMAN: I don't like kids and can't have anything to do with them. Cubs and Scouts however are completely different. You don't need to treat them as kids, but as responsible individuals - I treat mine as adults (well, almost all the time, you've got to be fairly mindful of all the safeguarding issues!)

If you're ex forces you've probably got a lot to share, but don't expect to jump in just being a leader - you should pop along to help out at first, if you like it do getting started so you know the system scouts works under. Then you can attend residential weekends which helps you engage with kids, run games etc and then you can step in and assist a leader - give it some time and when the kids are used to you then think about stepping up to run a section - not before though! You may also want to visit some other troops and see how good/bad they are! =)

W

webbie88

Scouter here :D Done alot of things done in my scouting carer so far :) but have lots and lots of skills to learn now :)

Stoker37

Aug 7, 2005
Rotherham
Mea culpa. SL 5th Rotherham. Most people get presents for their 21st birthday I got a scout troop and have been running it ever since. I believe its the most important thing I have done with my life so far.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
In the many years I have been involved with Scouting, I have witnessed the good (the wonderful confidence a Scout shows when they realize they can do the skill) and the bad in human behavior (nasty legal battle at the Scout Council Executive Board). The good has always outweighed the bad. In my opinion, Stovie has hit the nail on the head, "just give the youngsters a great experience out of doors". Lots of great guidance above on how to become involved. I too suggest to visit different units and start with small tasks in helping out. In my last Troop level position, we had it established where parents initially were required to participate with one of the twelve monthly outings. The parent responsibilities were from transportation, assisting with the patrol's grocery purchases for the outing, to camping with the Troop on the outing. There was an immediate offering to the parents to attend the Troop's Committee meetings and see how the Troop was run. There were always needs in administration, fundraising, Scout advancement reviews, Courts of Honor, service project support, etc., etc. By having an open invitation, parents could start with a small responsibility and move to more responsibility, if they so desired. That Troop had 70 Scouts on the rolls and at any one time there were 60+ active on outings and meetings. There were 12 uniformed assistants and a Troop Committee full of parents willing to help in running the Troop.

If you are inclined to get involved, start small and explore the opportunities.

Gordy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE