how many of us are first aid trained?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

First Aid: how well trained are you

• no proper training

Votes: 101 13.1%
  • Trained but the certificate has run out

Votes: 230 29.8%
  • Trained with current certificate

Votes: 440 57.1%

• Total voters

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
bambodoggy said:
That's fairly rare in my experience, I've usually found the German locals very friendly and helpful.....always one idiot though hey wherever you go and it's usually me that finds them! ! ! :?:
I lived in Germany for 6 years and on the whole they are indeed very freindly, but as you say you get 'em in every country not least our own. It may be he didn't like being asked to do something by a British Soldier in his own country or he was in a rush to be somewhere who knows :?:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
falling rain said:
I lived in Germany for 6 years and on the whole they are indeed very freindly, but as you say you get 'em in every country not least our own. It may be he didn't like being asked to do something by a British Soldier in his own country or he was in a rush to be somewhere who knows :?:

Who knows indeed Matey! :?: maybe a bit of both! :lol:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Due for retraining at Easter after much nagging of the dept. None of our medics ( GPs and surgeons ) are supposed to do first aid in the dept - insurance problems ( mind you I'm not sure I'd trust a surgeon for first aid - they rarely take blood samples without making a mess of my arm )
Realgar

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Yep, trained in Remote emergency care and Expedition medicine over a decade now, due again next year.

You can never do enough medical training for the outdoors, what get's me is everytime I renew CPR, it's changed :roll:

Chris

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
chris said:
Yep, trained in Remote emergency care and Expedition medicine over a decade now, due again next year.

You can never do enough medical training for the outdoors, what get's me is everytime I renew CPR, it's changed :roll:

Chris

What's remote emergency care? Treating people in remote locations or talking to frightened people on the other end of radio and telling them where to press to stop the bleeding?

You'd think by now CPR would have settled down - what's the current ratio ( just in case I need it before the next course )?

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
It still is. There was a huge disscusion about the old 5:1 and the new 15:2 at my dive club, got very intresting, when you have 2 nurses and a paramedic explaining it to you. The FA training for the dive was funny, the instructor was the casualty whilst the paramedic did the actual teaching!!! Talk about dropping yourslef in it, he wanted a passtime where he could escape his job, fat chance :D

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Currently trained team madic (Army) which also qualifies me for the St Johns Ambulance first aid certificate, been doing first aid since I was young, was a member of the British Red Cross from the age of 7. Used to get taught 5:1 ratio if there were 2 of you with the 15:2 on your own. I got told that EAR is now RB, Rescue Breathing, is that the same for the rest of you.

Brian

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Currently my only training is via the TA military type first aid training , not much good in civvy street.

About 10 + years ago did a Paramedic Uk course which qualified me to Basic Emergency Medical Technician, which I think is the lowest qual you can get , it was a weeks course with the RAF and therefore militarty orientated but very good for the confidence as it was quite intensive

Thinking of doing a 1st aid at work course again with the TA but proper first aid

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
St John's first aider at work, runs for about another year.

Also had some additional training when I used to be a scuba diver.

Dave

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
I was at a talk given by a conultant anaethstatist on resuscitation. From the talk, it really became clear that there is no absolute correct ratio, it varies with a multitude of considerations. That said, in a first aid situation, the most important thing is to do something, so remember a set ratio and stick with it. You will be doing the very best you can.

My certificate had was expired when I was in a situation where it was needed. Believe me, you won't be cross checking with a text book and no-one will criticise you for doing it wrong, as long as you "Do something, Please".

I was re-certified at the earliest opportunity (I'm on day release).

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
Surely being a trained first aider goes hand in hand with Bushcraft? Any fool can pick up a knife and cut themself but a wise man will have the knowledge to heal himself also.

SARHound

Jan 28, 2005
Canada
Fully trained and cert in Wilderness Medical First Responder with an adjunct ACLS specialty. Comes in handy with my SAR hobby.

Hound

pe1pme

Dec 17, 2004
Utrecht, the Netherlands
first aid, first responder, BLS, ALS, ATLS, SIGMA(fast response unit for medical assistence at large accidents and dissasters), first aid instructor and LOTUS (national trainingschool for simulating injuries)

Wim

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
I had various first aid trainings. I guess here in Holland they have a bit of a different system of courses, but I am confident that I can be useful in case of emergency. In any accident you have to improvise anyway, so boosting your knowledge and confidence by doing a course is very useful in my opinion.

For myself I'm very confident in bringing my girlfriend whenever on a big trip. She's a doctor, that helps a lot'. However, the stuff she regards as absolutely necessary :shock: my god, that's another two pounds in drugs and bandages.

Talking about drugs :lol: guess where she is working! O.k. I live in Amsterdam, and what do you guys think of when hearing amsterdam? Admit it, it's drugs. Well she works at the city clinic for homeless and drug addicts. She's one of the few people in the country that can administer prescripion heroine or whatever makes you happy. :wink: Not much need for heroine or methadon, but I can imagine situations where a shot of morphine is the thing you might want most. :shock:

Well never had to and hope I never will. Burns, cuts, blisters, that's about the worst I came across in the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE