How many knives and/or axes do you own?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How many knives and/or axes do you have?

• 1-2

Votes: 34 4.9%
  • 3-5

Votes: 129 18.6%
  • 6-10

Votes: 170 24.5%
  • 11-20

Votes: 146 21.1%
  • 21-40

Votes: 107 15.4%
  • 41-100

Votes: 107 15.4%

• Total voters

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I guess the Becker 7 is the closest thing I have to a Bowie. They never really excited me as such. Amazing what you can do on a lathe with a Collins Machete though. :nana:

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
3 skinners two for small game 1 for large, 1 SAK camper, 2 Mora, 1 fairburn dagger, 1 Gerber camping axe , I Marindale Machete, 1 army issue gollock and one multi tool oh and a spyder co Meercat forgot that one great little blade

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Emmmm. A lot more than I thought I did when I clicked the 11 to 20 button. Swords and knives took meover the 20 mark.and then I started counting the folders, and then there's the saws. Oh and the Axes. Good grief. How do I change my vote up a couple of notches

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I’m of a ‘tortoise’ persuasion, rather than a ‘hare’, so I totally understand, Karl. Definitely a project for those drearier autumn/winter evenings.

Mine is in the Parang equivalent of the ‘dolly’s hospital’ – still working on the regrind, in true tortoise fashion :)

Cheers,
Paul.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
these are what I use most

small sandvik axe (about 1 1/4 pound's) shaves paper just from filing, never mind stone or polish strop (scary then!!), beautiful firm steel takes a lot of stress and keeps an edge very well. A real workhorse, does rough shaping of legs/spindles/seat edges etc right down to fine planing cut's, not too heavy not too light. I use it to split out pegs etc

french billhook with a shallow s shaped edge (15p from a car boot sale in normandy) the steel is superb almost good enough to eat (well it would being made in France wouldnt it:D ), probably well over 100 years old I rehandled it with ash.

I got two old axe heads from a farmer in Normany, and rehafted them with air dried ash I harvested from my own front garden "coppice" :lmao: One head especially makes a superb smaller than usual splitting mell for my fire wood, it rarely sticks and is heavy enough (about 3 1/2 pounds) to do up to 10 to 12 inch logs, the other could be modified to make a mortise axe for doing large mortices

ex wd 2 1/2 pound axe again rehafted by myself with an offset haft for hewing small things, I had planned to build a framed shed this year and would have used it to get flats on small telegraph poles for the plates etc, but it hasnt transpired this year.

2 adze's for chair seat's, a henry taylor gouge adze modified with a 20 inch haft-it totally tansformed the feel and balance and overall acuracy to make it a delight to use, not a hassle as it was with a 10 inch factory one. Also a straight adze (pin poll pattern) but ground with a curved edge. Good for doing fine plane cuts where I just hold the metal and use it like a plane to finish seats.

1 straight and 2 curved drawknifes made by Brian Russell:You_Rock_ for rough shaping of hafts/legs/posts/spindles, and doing seat's.

opinel with 3 inch blade usually in my pocket, it replaced a sheffield lamb foot that wore out and begun stabbing me in my pocket (sharpened that much over the years so the point was exposed even when folded up)

I am on the look out for one of those clasp knive's the older British army ones with the plastic scales, as much as anything its straight edge faster to do up, and sturdy as well. Any one know a good supplier please? The opinel is good steel but the whole knife still feels a bit flimsy plus the locking ring agravate's me when it gets grit or sand in it:lmao: I dont really want a large fix blade as I dont need one! :D

I do some modest joinery and have about 7 old planes almost all wood bodied with thick cast or applied steel blade's and all in toppish cutting nick (constantly learning how to improve on tuning), framing chisel's, normal chisels, old corner chisel. I use waterstones to maintain them. Old (140+ years) 5 point disston ripper saw, and not quite so old (90years) s&j 9 point cross cuts and tennon saws. Another "newer" 6 point cross cut disston (about 60 years old) Self made bow saw, I do not rate jet cuts/baracuda's/bahco's etc other than to swat flies or cut round bricks and blocks or cut plaster boards etc. :D They are flimsy, have no set and are useles if they get nailed, and you cant sharpen them. The disstons and s&j's can be repaired in minutes with a file.
cheers Jonathan:)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Hi, I'm Mike, and I'm ADDICTED to Sharp Things! My last purchase/manufacture was 2 days ago.

Hi, Mike. Welcome to the meeting. Please tell us your ....

skrew that ...

WHAT'D YOU GET! WHAT'D YOU GET! Come on! Tell us! Tell us!

Um, I kind of need to up my vote in the poll, but I'm already in that top bracket. Since I voted, I've added a dozen 1700's Fur Trade era/style Red-Handled Scalping Knives, and forged up two trade knife blades, 2 bowl adzes, one small 1700's Indian trade hoe, and 3 1600's era all-wrought iron trade axes (with no steel inserted for the cutting edge).

Two buddies have already ... talked ... me out of one axe and several knives.

One of these days I have to figure out how to translate that "they talked me out of" part into "they bought from me" - or so my banker tells me. But what the h***, I'm just playing around anyway. (and a few things do eventually end up contributing to the pizza and beer fund)

Ooooh ... feeling woooossssy ... must need to make something sharp .... and soon!

Mikey - that grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands of Iowa

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I've got 2 Hand made knives.
I've got 2 Moras.
I've got 1 Gransfors Small forest.
I've got 1 Crook knife.
I've got 2 Pen Knives.
Ive got 1 Laplander (Saws not included)
and
I've got 1 More knife to Finish's
and I think thats it.

Well once I get some money together I'll actually start getting some tools.lol

mtnfolk mike

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2006
felton, CA... US.
here's a few of mine....:borgsmile
IMG_1131.jpg

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
I lied on the post. I had a think about it and actually have....

1 x mora clipper
1 x rehandled mora
1 x K-bar
1 x petzl spatha
1 x blunt and broken toledo lock knife
1 x Geber rescue hook
1 x B&Q axe
1 x Cegga Axe (Which I love)
2 x cheapy penknives
1 x antique penknife
1 x cheapy blade for scaling
1 x leatherman
1 x FS dagger.

Oh, Mike, what's that knife with the short blade on the top right of your picture please, looks interesting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE