How many jackets are too many ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
Arc'Teryx Alpha LT
Arc'Teryx Atom SV
Arc'Teryx Gamma MX Hoody

Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Hoody

Paramo Torres Smock
Paramo Velez Adventure Light Smock

Montane Superfly eVent

I try not to think about it too much as it forces me to add up how much it's all cost.

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland

1 work.
1 which was given to me.
1 big green knitted thing, don't wear much but keep for sentiment.
2 long and smart, don't wear much as I have little need to be smart.
2 blazer type, as above.
1 fully waterproof [& trouser set], lives in a day sack.
1 foul weather/ offshore jacket [& trousers], only used in winter.
1 cardigan type
1 lightweight

I have recently thrown out my dog walking jacket as it was getting really manky.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I find it hard to justify having more than one jacket per requirement if you know what I mean. In other words I have one winter coat, one dpm smock to go camping in the woods, one lightweight goretex, one this one that, more or less, with very little duplication. Whenever I think about getting a new jacket I always have to justify it to myself by identifying the gap that it's filling. Judging by many of the posts this is something I need to get over. What are people's reasoning when buying jackets they, dare I say it, don't really need? ... I'm fearing where this could lead me.

Sounds to me like you have got it right, unlike me and most others contributing to this thread! Don't listen to us!

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
What are people's reasoning when buying jackets they, dare I say it, don't really need? ... I'm fearing where this could lead me.

I only have two clothing systems ...

My Arc'Teryx / Patagonia set is for hillwalking / climbing / mountaineering and has been purchase with only function in mind. My Paramo clothing apart from being a more "natural" colour is cheaper, heavier and I won't be heartbroken if it gets damaged.

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Bet it was less manky than my working jacket!

Well perhaps not overly manky - but it did smell quite badly, perhaps [quite] a few washes may have sorted that but it was falling apart abit too much. When I start patching patches it's time to lay it to rest.... I did like it it was a many pocketed thing of functional wonder.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I did like it it was a many pocketed thing of functional wonder.

Well worn jackets are like well worn boots - comfortable and trusted. I remember an old girlfriend of mine who couldn't understand that a scruffy garment that worked was worth more to me than a brand new garment - I even explained it in scientific terms but she couldn't grasp the concept.

She didn't like me saying that if the function of a garment isn't important just its shineyness that made her and her girly mates like toddlers distracted by jingling keys - daft because they don't know why they matter when they get them :)

Clearly a girl who didn't appreciate the truth!

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
there's a very simple mathmatical formula for this. it is N+1 where N is the number of current jackets you own.
this assures that no matter the number you own you will always purchase more.
:)

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I like to think I have one for every eventuality I think I could experience locally. So that means a summer waterproof, a winter waterproof, a winter dry jacket, a windproof, a summer dry, etc. Plus I have stuff I wear for work, a few suit jackets, a couple of combination pieces. But I still think I need more, however SWMBO thinks otherwise. I've instilled a "1 in 1 out" rule for her bags, so think I have to apply the same logic to my purchases.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Marmot down jacket
MH Primaloft Jacket
MH softshell
MH full winter goretex
MH pack lite goretex
Paramo Torres Gillet
-paramo Torres sleeves to go with above
Montane Extreme Smock
Hilltrek Customised Braemar "Double Ventile" smock.
Unknown make windproof fleece
MH Windproof Gillet
Brown leather coat
Oh, and a down jacket made for me in Nepal which is no use (way too hot to wear here but I could not part with it for anything!)

Think that's the lot!

Edit: no it's not!

RAB Vapour Rise Smock
Montane Fireball Smock (ok, not really a jacket maybe)
Montane Windshirt (as above...)

Last edited:

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I have two
A BCUK ventile jacket in black.The other is a Ridgeline Monsoon smock ,which I bought second hand off this forum and has never been worn due to a shoulder injury
Andrew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE