How many jackets are too many ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
After being berated for buying 'yet another jacket exactly the same as the others' (what does she know) I decided to count up all my jackets and work out their use to see if I really had that many. In total I counted 11 jackets (that's every type of jacket I own). 3 were strictly bushcraft/outdoors type affairs (S95 smock, Swedish snow smock, Helikon BDU). Two or three were crossover type things that could be worn in the woods or in town (North Face Apex, Cadet Smock, another tan coloured BDU). The rest were just coats and jackets for normal use, including smart occasions etc. is that excessive, or is there, as I hope, room for further expansion?

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
Thirtyseven?
I thought it was ok, but apparently it's a little excessive.
I was teaching various outdoor sports, and had a few spares for everyone.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
3 sas dpm smocks, 1 arctic smock, 1 sass smock, 1 ripstop dpm jacket, 1 american bdu jacket, 1 swedish snow smock, 1 ww2 sas snow smock, 1 british goretex, 1 us army goretex, 1 hooded softshell, 1 craghopper waterproof, 1 keela waterproof, 1 fjallraven parka, and... just arrived today a hand made bilmo smock. Not counting fleeces.apparently I have issues, but it extends to bags and rucksacks also.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its simple - if the total of your coats + your shoes + your bags is greater than her coats + her shoes + her bags ....you have too many. If not, she has too many and should get rid of some.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It all depends what we're counting under the term "jackets" Does it include non-bushy overcoats and tweed jackets for instance?

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Well my 11 included literally every jacket I have including ones for smart occasions etc. bushcraft wise I'm looking at what I can now see is a poultry 4/5 depending how you look at it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Bushy: Kestrel ventile smock / Bergens Morgedal
Hiking: Rab Demand / Paramo VA / Montane Resolute

Those are my outers, I've got far too many mid layers though, probably more like a dozen including fleeces/wools/Powerstretch etc

Plus a three or four general fashion type jackets I don't think I'm doing too bad.

Jethro924

Oct 13, 2013
United Kingdom
I've got two Buffalo mountain jackets, three Buffalo Mountain Shirts and a Montane Super-Fly (that I never really got on with), I guess I should buy some more :)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
God I never knew I had so many 14 all outdoor type and thats the ones I can find, on the plus side I only have 2 pair of boots a pair of Meindl Burma Pro MFS bought from Mr Fenna of this parish at a very reasonable price and a pair of Tactical 511 XRPT in almost new condition for a £5 from Ebay the fella never thought to put a reserve on or withdraw the sale, + a couple of pairs of shoes.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Bushy: Kestrel ventile smock / Bergens Morgedal
Hiking: Rab Demand / Paramo VA / Montane Resolute

Those are my outers, I've got far too many mid layers though, probably more like a dozen including fleeces/wools/Powerstretch etc

Plus a three or four general fashion type jackets I don't think I'm doing too bad.

Im surprised by that Rich. No, really i am :D

Iwas expecting at least 30 :D

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Ok, now this has started, what do you define as a Jacket? are we talking full length sleeves, water proof (or at least weather resistant)? because, if we start going down the gillet route and fleecy shell jackets, i'm seriously in trouble (although i'll never, in a million years, catch up with SWMBO, Phew!).

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I asked the equivalent question on a guitar forum ( how many guitars is enough?) and the answer is equally applicable - just one more...

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ooops!:eek:

35 of the damn things! :rolleyes:

Why did I open this thread? Does anyone have the number for jackets anonymous?

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Hmm - not counting street jackets
2 Keela Munros
1 Berghaus Mera Peak
1 Marpat US ECWS Goretex
1 Helikon Gunfighter softshell
2 Helikon Patriot fleeces
2 Berghaus Windstopper fleeces
1 down duvet jacket
1 Mountain Equipment hollofill/thinsulate duvet jacket ...

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I find it hard to justify having more than one jacket per requirement if you know what I mean. In other words I have one winter coat, one dpm smock to go camping in the woods, one lightweight goretex, one this one that, more or less, with very little duplication. Whenever I think about getting a new jacket I always have to justify it to myself by identifying the gap that it's filling. Judging by many of the posts this is something I need to get over. What are people's reasoning when buying jackets they, dare I say it, don't really need? ... I'm fearing where this could lead me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE