how hard is it to change scales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
as above really....if I was interested in a decent blade but it was in my eyes ruined by the handle would it be difficult to replace the scales (as a novice)? Or probably the first question should be how hard to remove the existing ones without ruining it?

Cheers

tel

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Would it be easier to ask someone like FYGT, Dave Budd, etc, etc to make you a new blade which is a copy of the one you like and then put scales on it of your choice or put them on yourself? ;)
Even better do like I did, and make your own blade to suit your hand dimensions (loads of Youtube how to vids) and then make your own, one off, scales :D

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Hi Kev - all of that I intend to do at some point :) Just saw this one blade that caught my attention and thought shaping a new handle in a more pleasing material would be good experience.

Cheers

tel

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
go for it its not so hard if you have basic tool know how, and if you have any probs just post up here. there are loads of people who will help at the end of the comp......

go for it mate, be brave.....

regards.

chris.....................

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Yup, just go for it and don't think about it too much! Plenty of people willing to help on here if need be...

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
It's surprisingly easy really. All you really need is good glue, a drill, a saw and glass/sand paper and patience. Thats all I used anyway.

Go for it.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
I'd say definitely give it a go yourself, it's an incredibly rewarding thing to do and not too difficult at all! I even managed it.

As said earlier, I'd cover the blade in tape (for safety when holding) and place, handle first, into water that you bring up to the boil for a few minutes. If you can't prize them off easilly after that you may need to drill/hammer the bolts out first and repeat with the water.

Then read a few of the tutorials, on here and British Blades, and go for it!!!! I'm sure you love the whole process, it gives a real sense of achievment.

ATB

Kim

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Oops, I forgot............ if you do have to drill the bolts out please use all the safety precautions you can (as a rapidly spinning sharp knife is really not as fun as it sounds!!!!)

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Oops, I forgot............ if you do have to drill the bolts out please use all the safety precautions you can (as a rapidly spinning sharp knife is really not as fun as it sounds!!!!)

Cheers - I've definitely got the t-shirt for that kind of stunt! ;)

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Thanks folks - taken it all on board (and very grateful I am for all the input) - seems that I should maybe start with a blank rather than destroying somebody elses work (especially someone who appears to be held in quite high regard)...so, where to go for the blade? I do have files put aside to have a go myself, but one thing at a time! Nice and simple bushy style - something I'm not going to do a dis-service (sp) to... any tips?

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Thanks southey - very aware of FGYTs work and reputation since I've been bumbling around here - haven't found any links to stuff for sale though, is it commision only? Bearing in mind we are talking a learning process here ;)

ive not removed any,but putting them on is great fun, warning you will be hooked and start looking for more blanks to put your stamp on,

when you ready ;) i had a few turn up today ready for grinding :D

Batch2.jpg

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
ha - OK, so maybe I should talk to the man himself? Can you give me some idea (PM if you like) what we're talking for a bushy type blade that I'm unlikely to wreck?

Cheers

tel

Edit : I'm guessing bottom right of your pic?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE