How do you keep cool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Staying in the shade, drinking plenty of water and slowing down the rate at which you do things (something I find next to impossible...) - what other ways are there of making this sustained 'good' weather bearable?

To any who would like to suggest being like James Dean or Steve McQueen, just don't - it's too predictable and too hot!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Keep yourself slightly damp and somewhere not in full sun but where there's a good flow of air.

Run wet hands through your hair and over your forearms, and don't dry them, let the air dry and cool you.

If it's really, really hot, sit with your feet and ankles in cold water and your hands and wrists too. Those are where the blood is closest to the surface and it really does cool you down; besides, your feet will thank you for it :D

cheers,
Toddy.....who has just watered the shady part of the garden before the Sun hits it and played like a five year old with a hose :D :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Two tips:

Neckers/shemaghs etc can be dipped in water and worn around the neck, which is very cooling. I do the same thing with my Tilley hat. The thermal sock when you put the cold wet hat on your het is rather dramatic, but it rapidly becomes very pleasant.

The other is to avoid doing anything in the hottest part of the day.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
According to the weather forecast its not getting below 30c for the next 7 days here. It gets towards 50c in the workshop, theres no way in hell i can keep cool in there. :) So i've sacked work off during the day, having to do bits early morning and late evening.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As well as what Harvestman said I use a product similar to this LINK in fact the dog had one too and he liked it. Uses water absorbing crystals to soak up more water to evaporate off without dripping all over the place. So you don't look like a drowned rat. Can be worn around neck, forehead or wrists all the good cooling areas.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I should add that however useful these tips are, the most important one is the one mentioned in the original post. Drink lots of water, and regularly. Everything else makes you more comfortable. That one keeps you healthy.

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
sit with your feet in a stream, under a tree, brew in one hand and a smoke in the other. cool, happy and healthy ;)

hobson

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Devon
I've been doing anything strenuous either early morning or late evening, walking/running dogs at first light and drinking lots of water, left in the freezer for a couple of hours so it has a nice crust of ice.

just take it steady and enjoy the more Spanish way of life for the few weeks it's here! We're in Britain, winter won't be too far away! :p

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Beer or cider is popular.

Popular, but bad advice.

My advice, bearing in mind I work in Saudi Arabia in an outdoor job, and the weather today was around 47c with 85% humidity... ;)
Stay out of direct sunlight.
Stay hydrated, but not too hydrated, you don't want to flush out your eloctrolytes. Monitor your urine, you're going for a light straw colour.
Wear loose natural fibres (cotton or linen are good, avoid man made fibers)
Long trousers and long sleeves in light colours help.
A damp bandanna or neckerchief around the neck will help, you can get crystal cooling wraps which work as long as it isn't too humid.
Pace yourself when working, take regular breaks.

hobson

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Devon
Popular, but bad advice.

My advice, bearing in mind I work in Saudi Arabia in an outdoor job, and the weather today was around 47c with 85% humidity... ;)
Stay out of direct sunlight.
Stay hydrated, but not too hydrated, you don't want to flush out your eloctrolytes. Monitor your urine, you're going for a light straw colour.
Wear loose natural fibres (cotton or linen are good, avoid man made fibers)
Long trousers and long sleeves in light colours help.
A damp bandanna or neckerchief around the neck will help, you can get crystal cooling wraps which work as long as it isn't too humid.
Pace yourself when working, take regular breaks.

Good advice about urine colour, it's a good way to guage hydration. i was told to drink before you're thirsty, because by the time you're thirsty you're already dehydrated.

If i'm out on a long run and am drinking lots i use an electrolyte tablet to save flushing out salts and minerals, this can be very bad and lead to headaches and cramps, i've even used dioralyte to keep my electrolyte levels up.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Good advice about urine colour, it's a good way to guage hydration. i was told to drink before you're thirsty, because by the time you're thirsty you're already dehydrated.

If i'm out on a long run and am drinking lots i use an electrolyte tablet to save flushing out salts and minerals, this can be very bad and lead to headaches and cramps, i've even used dioralyte to keep my electrolyte levels up.

I simple salt and sugar mix will be simpler, cheaper and reports I haved heard on TV more effective for you

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
All good advice so far
I have been wearing Cotton long sleeve shirts not t-shirts (loose rather than tight)
Long shorts, sun hat, sandals. The sandals a great idea. Feel the difference and also pretty much following the advice already stated.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good advise so far and as GrahamS said, damp cloths will work ONLY if the humidity is low enough to allow evaporation.

Much depends on your situation though. If you can, stay indoors during the heat of the day. Swimming is popular here. And don't forget sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) It won't keep you cooler but it will protect from skin cancer. As good sunglasses will help protect from future cataracts.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
make a scarf/bandanna out of light felt(the shamwow material), soak it, wring it out and drape it around your neck.
guaranteed you will feel cooler.
you can use cotton, but the cooling effect won't last as long.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
It is starting to warm up a bit over here to. At least in the south eastern parts of the country.
I've allways coped well with the heat, and after several years in boiling hot engine rooms in tropical waters 30+C isn't all that bad. The most imporatnt is of course to stay hydrated and protect your eyes as mentioed above
After last summers extreme rain and low temps this weather is just a blessing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE