How do you keep cool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Here's some of mine.

You can also get jackets, and I've got a hat with the same stuff in the headband, although it does tend to make the hat a little small.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yip that's what they are called GB. Soaked mine last night, in plastic bag in fridge for recky walk today.
I knew it had something to do with down under.
LOl
Bob

They could've called it a "Cuddly Cool Koala" they like to hang around the neck. Bit cooler today for your recky at least.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I don't care if it isn't 120 degrees etc... I'm still going to complain about the heat when it's too hot for me.

images+(28).jpg

I was going to complain about the heat today, but then I realised...
It isn't 250 degrees
I'm not 7,000 miles away from home
I'm not dressed like a sweet potato at a BBQ
I'm not carrying more scientific equipment down a damn volcano than I weigh
And there is little chance of being crushed by a molten rock
Thank you all who try to save us all from natural disaster by progressing science

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Thanks for pointing me to these cooling bandanas, headbands etc! The heat has reached Germany and staying outside for longer times isn't fun. I like it warm, but my body can't cope well with temperatures above 30°C.
So I just ordered a cooling scarf and a cooling bandana and I hope they arrive before the summer leaves us!

Until then, I stay out of the heat whenever I can, drink water, and when I need to go outside for longer periods I just soak my hair with cold water. I have lots of thick hair and it takes a while until they are dry, and it's a nice cool feeling. Doesn't look that good, but who cares!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Filling your hat with from a cold mountain stream also works :) This is from a trip to the Smokies back in Summer of 2001

1069424_10201781634129287_1758314447_n.jpg

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
don't forget to start the day with an aspirin, it'll thin the blood slightly letting it flow faster, dissipating heat through the skin and evaporating heat a lot quicker.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I keep cool by imagining that I´m a superhuman, and the heat does not affect me. I refuse to succumb, and it works for me.
And if I´m outside when it´s hot I´m always doing something. I never go to the beach to fry my bacon, I´m always on the move. The effect of the heat seems to fade if I´m not focusing on it.
Other than that, I drink a lot of water and/or fluids containing electrolytes, eat light but nutritious food, protect my head (with my radiant baseball cap!) and if it´s really hot I might even take a swim...

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
I keep cool by imagining that I´m a superhuman, and the heat does not affect me. I refuse to succumb, and it works for me.
And if I´m outside when it´s hot I´m always doing something. I never go to the beach to fry my bacon, I´m always on the move. The effect of the heat seems to fade if I´m not focusing on it.
Other than that, I drink a lot of water and/or fluids containing electrolytes, eat light but nutritious food, protect my head (with my radiant baseball cap!) and if it´s really hot I might even take a swim...

As long as your hydrated and your skin is not burning these type of psychological tricks can and do work to keep you calmer and as a result cooler.

I imagine i'm a lizard or a solar panel and the heat is giving me energy.

Try it next time your hot and bothered.

Failing that i just turn on the aircon.

Don't mind it being hot even knocking on the door of 50c as long as i have somewhere to cool down every now and then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE