How do I get in a hammock when paraletic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
How the h*ll do I know, ah canny remember a thing... though Tam said once I saw my storm candle I was of like an exocet...thanks Tam for pointing me in the right direction ; )
jon

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
OK folks,

I think I've cracked it. String up 2 hammocks, one above the other.... In a paraletic state, (try to) get into the top hammock.

Chances are you will have a good nights sleep in the bottom hammock :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's a hammock people, not brain surgery - it's really not that hard! Heck, I use a really snug mummy bag with no zip, and as anyone who's met me at any of the Scottish meets will testify, I'm not shy about indulging in the fruit of the barley... It's not easy to fall out of a hammock once you're in.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Thanks for the tips, sound like it's a case of working out what works for you and hoping nobody spots you when it all goes A over T.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
simple solution, get a HUGEEEEEEE hammock, one of the ones that can take 3 people, fling duvets in and then collapse at any angle into the hammock

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The general practice is to wriggle around like an enormous green maggot for about 10 minutes, then once you`ve eventually worn yourself out and got so twisted up in lumpy bits of fabric, just close your eyes and wait for the rocking to stop.

I agree ;)

I have my sleeping bag and bivi bag all setup in the hammock with the mat in the bivibag but not in the sleeping bag. I then shove all of the contents slightly down to the foot end of the hammock. I then sit in the hammock whilst taking off my keks one leg at a time and placing my feet back inside my boots. Once i am down to my grundies i then pull up my feet and start the 10 minute wriggle ! Once in my bag i grab the hammock above my head and pull/adjust where needed, then adjust my grundies which have now taken on the form of a thong and your set !
2 distinct advantages to this method,
1 Your bare feet or clothing never touch the floor and once yer in you can lean out grab yer boots and place them upside down on some sticks then place any clothing in your pack and slide it under your hammock.
2 The 10 mintues you spend "maggoting around" for want of a better term gets your heart rate up a little so helps you warm up your bag.

I have tried standing up in your bag then falling in etc and the above is about the best. There will be no trick or secret method to do any of the above when your ratted but i usually manage it, even after a large amount of winter warmer ;)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Sorry but all those attempts (I count seven) to get into my hammock (gaiters off, boots off, limber up, make an attempt, boots on, gaiters on) will seriously cut into my drinking time:confused: ........ or was that some sort of evil masterplan to keep me sober?:eek:

sorry should have made this clear: each step should be attempted on different nights.

course it would be time consuming, and take a lot of alcohol;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE