Bust ribs and mashed wrist? Back in the bivvy for a wildcamp then!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Well, I managed to get myself back out for another night but this time I kind of forced myself into using the bivvy bag. A week or so earlier I had conspired to trip myself up at work and went down like a sack of spuds at pretty much a full run, tripping over my own tripwire, sigh. Anyhow, tieing up a ridgeline seemed to out of the question so rather than hammock and tarp the bivvy should be easy, right?
Was a bit of a risk of drizzle though so I still needed to cover my head, well, I'd planned to use the DD Magic Carpet as head cover last time, so thought I give it a go.

d5ee3e1e9e3605b70e6bc83531326e23.jpg

Lifting the ancient cheap Regatta pack wasn't too uncomfortable and getting up the hill wasn't too bad so I set about setting up in the same spot I first started camping out. Plenty of flat space and easily accessible, that'll do! The self inflating mat, bivvy and sleeping bag took about 7 minutes to set up, hmmm, that's way quicker than I do a hammock! The mini tarp took about the same which left me time to investigate the potential a Trangia mini has when presented with steak, onions and mushrooms. A great amount of potential!

0846e46eb608bb5552709f030dd7a876.jpg

By now it was getting pretty dark and I was aching so the battle to get comfy was on. I won't pretend it was the best night ever but it was no worse that in my bed at home and the view I awoke to, of clear sky and dawn slowly creeping up was just beautiful.

f6f6e80f3ae87602b643acec5430776d.jpg

Black pudding and mushrooms proved a great filling for a couple of muffins whilst a coffee in the Trangia mini pan (you knew I'd forget something, well, it was a cup this time...) made a very satisfying breakfast. I was too incapacitated to do much whilst there so it was time to pack up and wander back down the hill to get home.

b6694edfb746309d2de9ba27c4d38088.jpg

May have only been an extended meal break with my aches but still very satisfying. The mini tarp was much better than I hoped and using the Trangia mini for proper food is going really rather well. Anyhow, thanks for reading all this and if you fancy watching what it was like, feel free to hit the link. Be warned though, it's another 40 minutes of me waffling on about tripping myself up, nearly covering my bivvy and mat in cider and talking about the kit (which to be fair I did get asked about last time).

See you next time!
Chris.

cd867c0a1d38c37e797f44b8a3507fd7.jpg

https://youtu.be/9a0-fNpL_Nw

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like it was definitely worth the pain and effort, especially for a black pudding in nature breakfast.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Simple, sweet and deliciously savoury bushcraft just what the doctor ordered but black pudding without runny egg yolk?
That's hardcore roughing it! :)

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Sounds like it was definitely worth the pain and effort, especially for a black pudding in nature breakfast.
It was, I was due back out this weekend but I've postponed for a couple of weeks. Did miss having a little fire for the comfort and cooking opportunities it provides so want to have a bit more dexterity and strength available next time. Thanks for reading!

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Simple, sweet and deliciously savoury bushcraft just what the doctor ordered but black pudding without runny egg yolk?
That's hardcore roughing it! :)
Hey, we all need to practice our survival skills when we can! I feel much more ready for the apocalypse now I know I can survive a night with only a small steak, one can of cider and black pudding and mushrooms (and muffin, but come on, I'm not Bear Grylls!) and no cup for my coffee! Thanks for reading through :)

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Nice looking little site there, cracking view.

Hadnt been out myself for a few weeks due to burst eardrum/ear infection and feeling sorry for myself, but i read this yesterday and thought screw it ! and i went out overnight anyway. So thanks for that :)

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Nice report on your trip. Hope you're better soon.
Thank you, it's now a couple of weeks since the trip and my ribs are pretty much sorted now. Wrist is pretty useable but I won't be sawing or swinging an axe for a while yet. Thanks for reading and thanks for asking.
Chris.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE