How big's your basha?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How big's your basha? - ish

• 1.5 x 2.5

Votes: 32 9.9%
  • 2.5 x 2.5

Votes: 26 8.1%
  • 3 x 3

Votes: 179 55.6%
  • 3 x 4

Votes: 36 11.2%
  • 4 x 4

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • other

Votes: 36 11.2%

• Total voters

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
I've had a 1.8 x 3m tarp (a Kathmadu) for quite a while now and have been pretty happy with it but have been thinking of getting something a tad bigger. I am curious about what size(s) the rest of you guys use, and why?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Up until last weekend I had always used an ex Army shelter sheet, around 2.5m x 2.25 m, in size.

I recently bought a Tatonka 4.5m x 4.5m polycotton tarp and used it for the first time at Middlewood.

Each has its place in my kit store:

• The issue tarp is used when I am carrying my kit and weight conscious.
  • The Tatonka is going to be used in fixed, car camping setups. This will happen more now that I am helping out with my local Scouts and my son is asking to go out with me for overnighters.

At Middlewood the wind changed direction overnight and people with issue size tarps ended up with wet hammocks. I didn't have this problem with the Tatonka, as my hammock was well covered by the huge tarp.

HTH

Simon

EDIT:

Just noticed that this is my 500th post - damn that went fast!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hilleberg UL10 (UL = ultralight)

3.5 m x 3.0 m (11.5 x 10 ft) and only 570 g

Hilleberg also sell the XP range which they claim to be tougher than the UL range, however the UL has been very tough so far :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I have two, one about 3m x 2.5m and the other 3.abit x 3.abiggerbit. The smaller one is fine for one person and two can get in with not too much of a squeeze, with lots of room at the end for kit etc. The larger is a bit mad really. Enough room for 3 people, kit and room to spare, although I still need to water proof it, it leaks a bit not as much as my mates tent did the other weekend... :D

Nag.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
:lmao: Mine WAS...7m x 5m..<Snip

I guess that doubled up for a sail Cap'n.
pirates.gif

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have two but my main one for the moment at least is a DD 3 x 3. Its an ideal size for me but not the best of tarps IMHO!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What is the biggest size the British issue tarp is available in and the best price new???

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
I am looking at getting a tarp for my birthday later this month and have settled on a 3mx3m one but I am unsure which one.

I have looked at the Tatonka Tarp 2 but not sure if the Polyester or TC version is a better choice.

The Polyester seems a better choice for the reduced weight (0.90kg) but it could be near a fire at some point so I don't know it the TC (1.35kg) is better with the risk if embers flying about.

I held the DD tarp 2 at the weekend but at 1.9kg it felt too heavy to be something I would carry regularly.

My last option was the Elite Evolution Basha at 1.28kg so I am a bit torn about the best option.

I will add that this is my first tarp and I chose the 3mx3m to go with a hammock I got in the group buy last year so I wanted something I could pitch along the diagonal as well as all the other options. It might also be a wise choice to get one that won't mind some rough handling in the hands of a relative newbie.

Does anyone have a recommendation or any comments to help me decide?

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE