How big do vine weevils grow ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We lifted two pots of our Oca plants this afternoon, and despite having a garden that's sodden wet and slug heaven, there was very little slug damage :D

However, we did find one tuber pretty much hollowed out and another gone to a shell, and two of these white grubs.

They were about 3cms long though, and I don't mind ever finding vine weevils anywhere near that size.

16004770565_3e0304529e_z.jpg

16004772875_2458010abc_z.jpg

15817522090_4e43e8c457_z.jpg

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Vine weevils grubs are only about a centimetre long.

That said I don't know what that is without looking in my RHS pests book - looks a bit like a wireworm - but the colour and form is not right.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought vine weevils didn't get near that big, but I didn't know anything else that had that dark head and white body :dunno:
They were right inside the tubers, just like vine weevils though.

I don't have the pests book, if you get a moment or two to have a looksee and recognise this beast, it'd be appreciated :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It didn't look like that June beetle larvae (or is that maybe more mature ? ). It was very white, like the vine weevils, and it was incredibly active. So was the second one I found.

Wait and we'll find out that it's something I should have left, instead I fed them to the tame blackbird that comes as close to me as the robins.
He chooked happily at me as I put them in front of him on the compost bin lid.

Dobloz, I don't know what that is, but I'm pretty sure even the magpies would look twice at that !

M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I found ones that size and shape in pot several years ago. Momma and pops crawled out the same pot. Black with bright purple fringe. Normal big ground beetle size just a prettier colour. At least i knew what was wrong with the plant. Beetle maggots all look the same really.

I am digging my oca up this week with the artichokes.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Toddy,

it may be some kind of moth larvae?
Brown or white shouldered house moth?

Look at the rear and mid placed feet...
Not sure, but don't think it's a beetle larvae tho?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm with Dobloz here. That grub has pseudolegs, so it is a caterpillar of some description. The head looks right too. If you look at british Red's picture of a beetle larva you see that they only have three leg pairs, near the front. Caterpillars have false legs at the bag for extra grip, which Toddy's third picture shows quite clearly.

I don't know which moth though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I am having difficulty looking at images of the things, but if anyone has a few moments to look up Swift Moths, could they maybe compare the images of their caterpillars with the photos I took.
Apparantly they are known for hollowing out and overwintering in spuds and other tubers, and they're large too, so it seems likely ?

Thank you,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The ones I found didn't have those front legs though, or the hairs, it was very white, and the very rear end was dark too.....that's what made me first think it wasn't just an enormous vine weevil.
I think I'm wrong about the swift moth caterpillar then.

Thank you for helping :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE