Home made syrup on a woodburning stove - all natural - and no calories!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Our self sufficiency goals this year included producing our own source of sugar.

I have written threads on our beekeeping and sugar beet growing. The third strand of our attempt was to grow Yacon.

Part 1 - About Yacon

Yacon is a tuber bearing plant from the Andes - originally grown by the Incas. Its a member of the sunflower family with sweet, crisp, tuberous roots. In Brazil a tea is made from the leaves that is, allegedly, antidiabetic.

Yacon tubers are full of fructooligosacharides (FOS). FOS are a subset of inulin sugars - complex fructose polymers that, whilst tasting sweet, are not metabolisable by the human intestine. So all the sugar taste - no blood sugar (useful to diabetics) or weight gain.

A nutrional study in overweight premenopausal women shows weight loss following a regular intake - but judge that for yourself!

http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0261-5614/PIIS0261561409000302.pdf

I'm interested in a plant that can produce a large crop of edible tubers (nice raw or cooked), edible leaves ..or as a sugar source.
I found one source of Yacon in the UK - but their whole crop was wiped out by rabbits :(

Part 2 - Growing Yacon

Enter slowworm of BCUK - who kindly send me some growing tubers (they have two sorts - growing tubers which make next years plants and storage tubers which are harvested). The growing tubers were received last Winter. Sort of like small red seed potatoes. They aren't very frost hardy, so I potted them up immediately in large pots of damp compost. They did nothing at all in early Spring.

However come mid April and they all popped up!

Yacon 22-4 by British Red, on Flickr

We grew them on for a month and planted them out in mid May

Yacon 25-05 by British Red, on Flickr

They were pretty slow growers to begin with - this was them in June

Yacon and Oca 22-06 by British Red, on Flickr

They do well in Autumn - they were about 6 foot tall by the end of October

full sized yacon by British Red, on Flickr

When the Yacon flowers, you can certainly see the family resemblance to sunflowers and Jerusalem artichokes
8151208603_a8c7ebef1e_z.jpg

by British Red, on Flickr

Now the tubers need as long as possible to grow - but need to be lifted once frosts start. One morning the top growth showed frost nip

Yacon frost Burn by British Red, on Flickr

I decided this was the time to lift them

Part 3 - Lifting the Tubers

Given our high winds, I had staked and supported the plants. First thing to do was to remove the stakes and bindings

Yacon supports removed by British Red, on Flickr

I then cut away the top growth to abouot 18" to give room to work

Yacon Top Growth Cut by British Red, on Flickr

Now, if you are harvesting Yacon, you can't dig them up. The big storage tubers are fragile. Imagine a cucumber - like that. If you yank on them, they break. If you lever on them, they break. Now Yacon will keep like potatoes - but not if broken. So my technique was to dig a hole off to the side and then brush away the dirt like this

Yacon storage tuber by British Red, on Flickr

The tubers go down a foot or more - so haveing a well prepared bed helps easy removal. I found lifting the big tubers one at a time helped

Yacon Tuber by British Red, on Flickr

Eventually you can lift the crown

Yacon Plant by British Red, on Flickr

At this point I separated all the storage tubers

Yacon Harvest by British Red, on Flickr

The crowns I kept for propogating next years crop

Part 4 - Propogating for next year

One of the great things with Yacon is that you can harvest all the storage tubers and still have growing tubers for next year. To divide these, first I cut away the top growth

Yacon Crown by British Red, on Flickr

Each of the purple knobbly bits with a a leaf stem coming out is a potential new plant. The only viable way of dividing the up that I have found is to get in there with a knife and cut!

I was aiming for good sized pieces. I could probably divide these again, but I want healthy plants

Yacon Start by British Red, on Flickr

I put a good layer of compost supplemented with pelleted manure in a 5" pot and poked in the tuber

Yacon plant by British Red, on Flickr

These were then covered in compost, given a water to remove air pockets, drained and put into an unheated greenhouse to overwinter. I got 24 new plants which is a 6:1 increase on this years plants as well as the storage tiber harvest. I'm very pleased with that increase in growing stock as well as the harvest.

Part 5 - Using the Storage Tubers

Now the big storage tubers can be used in a number of ways. Just peeled and eaten they are nice. A cruchy, light, slightly sweet flesh - like...crisp pear?

They can easily go in a stir fry....think sweeter lighter water chestnut.

They store much like a potato

One think I wanted to do with this crop though was to make Yacon syrup. This stuff sells for £40 a litre . It had to be tried :)

First thing was to peel a good batch

Peeled Yacon Tubers by British Red, on Flickr

Next I pulped them. You can use a grater over a bowl, food processor or apple scratter. Whatever you use, do it over a bucket - the juice floods out - think pulping soft apples. Its the juice you want so capture it!

Pulped Yacon by British Red, on Flickr

Next job is to press the pulp. I set up the 5 litre press as I had made about 5 litres of pulp

Fruit Press by British Red, on Flickr

I removed the pressing bin and put the pulp in - good job I had already put the tube in a juice bucket...the juice started flowing fast even without pressing it was so wet!

Syrup Under own pressure by British Red, on Flickr

I found the colours going on here fascinating. The tbers are white inside a brown skin, but when cut the flesh oxidises green and the juice dark brown.

Next I pressed the pulp as dry as I could get it

Press Decending by British Red, on Flickr

Yacon Pulp by British Red, on Flickr

This yielded about 2 litres of juice - you can see how dark it is

Pressed Syrup by British Red, on Flickr

The next step is to filter the juice before cooking down. I use several layes of muslin in a jelly bag.

Jelly Bag and Cheesecloth by British Red, on Flickr

The juice ran through quickly

Strain Syrup by British Red, on Flickr

...but a good amount of vegetable fibre was removed

Yacon Fibre by British Red, on Flickr

I was left with a strained syrup ready for boiling down.

Step 6 - boiling down the syrup

Reducing syrup takes a long time. Frankly I don't want to burn a lot of propane to do that. However the upside of living a self sufficient way is that at this time of year we have the wood stove going to heat the house - so cooking heat is free :)

First I brought the syrup up to heat

Heating Syrup by British Red, on Flickr

Then moved it across to the cooler plate to simmer

Simmer Side by British Red, on Flickr

Once it had reduced by 80% I put it into a smaller pan to avoid burning. Eventually almost all the water was boiled off and the syrup becam to bubble - I took it off the heat at this point

Yacon foaming boil by British Red, on Flickr

You can see how sticky it is by scraping a spoon across the bottom

Yacon done by British Red, on Flickr

Always remember it gets thicker as it cools.

I stirred it occasionally as it cooled to avoid it crystalising

Once cool I poured it into bottles

Yacon Syrup Bottled by British Red, on Flickr

Having poured it, you can get a better idea of thickness

Yacon syrup thickness by British Red, on Flickr

Thats it. Taste wise I would say a thick, dark, simple syrup in the treacle / molasses type taste space - but remember - no calories :)

Part 7 - Post Script - Cooking on a Wood Fired Stove

When photos show our Esse Ironheart multifuel stove, people often comment on it, so I thought I would do a few extra pictures and briefly explain how to cook on a wood fired stove for those who appreciate such things. I have done posts on how we render firewood before, so I won't go into that, but here is a brief rundown on how we cook with it

The first tool you need to light your stove is a good axe.

Double Headed Axe by British Red, on Flickr

Nip out to that little woodpile

Wood Pile by British Red, on Flickr

....and render some logs down to about 2 x 2 size

Split kindling by British Red, on Flickr

Obviously your stove is stone cold at this point

Cold Stove by British Red, on Flickr

You need to get a nice hot fire going to warm the stove up - that small rendered wood burns quickly

Fire Lit by British Red, on Flickr

To control your stove there are three main controls to worry about

The flue damper - this opens and closes a baffle in the flue. You want this wide open when the stove is cold so the heat goes up the chimney waring the flue. This increases the draw of the flue meaning that smoke doesnt come back into the room

Esse Flue by British Red, on Flickr

Then there two vents - one at the top of the firebox

Esse Top vent by British Red, on Flickr

and one at the bottom

Esse Bottome Vent by British Red, on Flickr

When warming the stove, keep both wide open.

When cooking with wood, close the bottom vent and regulate airflow (and hence temperature) using the top vent. This sucks air in the top of the door, over the door and under the grate. The "airwash" over the door prevents the door sooting up. If adding a big log to the firebox, open the bottom vent for a few minutes and the log catches quickly.

When cooking with coal, close the top vent and regulate using the bottom vent. You need cool air over the bars of the firebox, otherwise the hot coal will burn out the bars.

You can tell when the stove is up to temperature as the thermometer on the flue gets above 200C

Hot flue by British Red, on Flickr

Running the flue cool causes cresosote to build up on the flue lining risking a chimney fire. We have little risk of that as we have a double wall liner and full insulated stack - but its good practice.

Once the flue is up to temperature, close the damper on the flue. Since we are using wood, close the bottom vent and regulate using the top vent.

The main way to regulate temperature though is the amount and size of the fuel. One big log on a few coals with the vent closed, will just "tick over" on the stove mainaing temperature. Lots of small logs or open vents increases temperature. Get it too hot and it takes an age to cool down!

Want to use the oven? Pull out this lever

Esse Oven Control by British Red, on Flickr

This directs the hot gases from the fire box around the oven - you can see the temperature rise (slowly)

Temperature rising by British Red, on Flickr

To use the "hob", lift the insulated plate covers. The left side (over the firebox) is hotter

Boiling side by British Red, on Flickr

The right side is cooler

Simmer Side by British Red, on Flickr

Adjust the pan heat by sliding it around :)

A few other tips - on an Esse it gets mighty hot in front of that firebox - so a heat deflector hangs on the towel rail

Esse Heat Screen by British Red, on Flickr

Of course that heat is useful for drying the cheesecloth used for filtering!

Drying Cheesecloth by British Red, on Flickr

Keep an eye out - it doesn't take long!

Thats it in a nutshell

Red

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Lovely pics, what an interesting plant. With the diet crazy world we live in, you may have found a good retirement fund there Red. The Esse is simply stunning.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the tutorial; really informative, clear, and brilliant detail :approve:

I really, really, don't like fake sweeteners, they always leave such a bad taste :yuck: but this plant sounds interesting.
I don't each much sugar anyway, but I'm curious; how does this taste in black coffee ? :D

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think it would taste great - but not like sugar :) More syrupy / treacly. Its very like treacle toffee in taste but without the bitter aftertaste.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Red your "AWESOME"!!!!!

wish i had the time money and know how to do what you have done in becoming self sufficient, i know its hard work, and you always have something to do, but id love it, a small holdings is my dream, never to be seen i feel....:(:(:(:(

you are a very clever man sir, i take my hat of to you....;)

great post thanks for your time.

chris.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Yes I to have stove envy:) and thanks for the excellent tutorial.

Slightly off topic (is this allowed?) I looked at your excellent tutorial on canning tomatoes and was wondering what else you've canned?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Of course its allowed ;)

We can a lot - its especially good for meat - things like chilli and spaghetti sauce, soups, stews, curries, pie filling, fruit in syrup, veg......anything you can buy in a tin. We had a raspberry glut this year so canned a load of them :)

I find things I can cook up in a huge pan - like our 17l stock pan, make cheap, healthy ready meals, plus we save money by taking advantage of gluts, seasonal stuff and offers and keep them for later

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
<Chuckle>

I reckon that stove area will break most knife makers hearts.

The stove gets hot and cracked the heat resistant plaster behind it, so a mate of mine came up with a plan.

All the black area behind the stove is a heat sink......its 3mm tool steel cut to fit and painted in high temp stove paint! Reckon there are a fair few potential knife blades in there :)

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Thanks, I've just got a canner and because we hope to move (to somewhere rural) in the not to distant future it makes sense to take advantage of gluts, special offers etc. So I thought I'd better start learning.

I could be asking more questions if this is ok?

Many Thanks

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No problem at all - I would be delighted :D

I do these posts hoping others will think

I could do that

so nothing would make me happier than to offer whatever insights I can. You really can eat cheap rurally - if the locals like you - that really is important! I had a mate over recently and he was gobsmacked when we walked out the front and there were a load of sticks of sprouts leaned against the gate. I keep the guy who gave them (a professional harvest contractor) in homebrew and home made mustard which he loves.

Its not really barter - just neighbourliness. My wife baked a lot of cakes when we first moved in and passed them out (she still does). Suddenly there was a lady with a dozen eggs or a farmer with a couple of cabbages at the gate. Being that I brew, they got invited in for a beer. Chat ensues and you get offered a bit of shooting or the loan of a tractor or whatever. In return we do odd jobs or pass out jams, pickles, canned meat, booze. Its a lovely way to live!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I finally got round to making some yacon syrup myself on Friday. Just simply peeled and finely grated the tubers and squeezed out the juice using my hands. Although the boiling took a fair bit of time it didn't need much looking after and produced a nice, thick, sweet syrup.

I did get a sort of pleasant pop-corn type smell when it was boiling and the syrup is nice a sweet with a toffee taste not unlike a maple syrup, but there's a distinct hint of 'green' about it. It's hard to describe but more of a savoury sweetness, very sweet but with a concentrated taste of the yacon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE