How big do vine weevils grow ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The ones I found didn't have those front legs though, or the hairs, it was very white, and the very rear end was dark too.....that's what made me first think it wasn't just an enormous vine weevil.
I think I'm wrong about the swift moth caterpillar then.

Thank you for helping :)

M

Hi Mary,

The third picture that you posted shows front legs. The forelegs are narrower than the false hind legs, and are easy to overlook, but I can see them in that shot. Swift moth looks like a good guess to me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I saw four pairs of pseudo leg thingies, but nothing defined like the legs in the David Kennard shot that BR posted.
No sharp insecty legs is what I mean. Caterpillar ones for the four pairs.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been looking at that third photo again, and I can see what you mean about legs at the head end.

Honestly Mike, they just did not register at all when the thing was wriggling about in front of me.

:dunno:

Back to the swift moth again ?

I have two more tubs to empty....a big bit of me is really hoping that they're clear of beasties, but on t'other hand I'd like to find another one and take more careful photographs too.

Thanks for the help :)

M

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Sorry for the slow response - very busy (crazy) here and I couldn't find any of my pest reference books.

Getting to the point - Swift Moth caterpillar I reckon for sure.

Glad I didn't bet any money on it being a beetle grub - always good to learn something new though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE