Hooped Bivi bags.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I fancy one of those hooped bivi bags anyone got one and recomend a type or manufacturer.Never used one before but i like the look of the double hooped kind,kind of like a lightweight packable mini tent i guess.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Look very nice but very dear. Whoever make the best ones on the block (Terra Nova or the like) had some of their top end design on sale at the OS outdoors exhibition in April - still way out of my budget though. :wink:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Like you I fancied one but I did not fancy the big price. So I kept an eye on ebay. As luck would have it two came along at a good price, unfortunately ending at about the same time. So I ended up with two but at a good price

bivi2.jpg

The far away one in the picture was the one I really wanted but the one nearest finished first. I got the army one (the near one) at a great price so I figured I could sell it on at a profit if I was successful with the other. But once I had both it took me about three months to decide which bag I preferred. Both were goretex and both kept all the water out. The army one was huge, about 9 foot long and very tough. The other one had higher hoops to turning over or sleeping on your side was more comfy and it had a midge net bult in. In the end I did sell the army one because it was more heavy, marginally, and I did not need the extra lenth as I would be using the bivi with a tarp so my kit would be dry under that.

I have not used the bag a lot or in very harsh conditions but it has kept me dry and warm. When I have used it I usually have it open so I can see around and the tarp keeps the rain off my face. The bottom of the bivi sticks out from the tarp to allow more space under for my kit. I have set the bag up and left it in the rain in the garden for a week and it did not let any water in (neither bag did).

So there you have my limited opinion. Keeping an eye on ebay will usually turn up results. The thing to watch out for is checking all the versions of the spelling Bivi, Bivvi, bivy & bivvy. Items listed in an unusual spelling usually go for less and for some reason hooped bivi bags in DPM are also cheaper which suited me fine.

leon-1

If you look around you can get deals on this type of thing this is the terra nova, extremities and wild country site, they have a factory shop that has seconds and ex demo models as well as lines that are being discontinued. Sometimes you can get some good stuff :wave:

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for the replys gents.Going to do me research before i buy anything.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I tend not to bother with the two hoop variety, you dont need the second hoop by your feet!!! without it the lower part becomes a water proof outer for your sleeping bag the extra pole also adds weight

the hoop over your head is very usful though reducing the sense of being closed in and keeping the matirial away from your face

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I bought the double hoop Bivi from Terra Nova form their seconds shop. A fantastic buy at a good price. I recently spent a week in it, in mixed weather. I used an ex arm poncho to store my gear under... a brilliant experience.

It is a little cramped inside, but comfirtable to sleep in, if you have to sit out in the rain, thats what the ponch was for...

I did not do much shopping around, I just went for it since it was so much cheeper being a secon (and i still do not know the reason).

One comment i do have is condensation. The hood has a gortex and a mossie net layer. I found that if i zipped the gortex hood up fully, condensation was a bit of an issue, the vent holes just dd not let enough air through... Ideally it needs one at both ends to ensure a throughput of air...

If i left an inch or so of the door open (just the mossie net shut) i got a nice airflow through, and because of the lip over the door, it did not let any water in.

One comment for Terra Nova (if they are listening) would be to put an air vent in the side, probabluy up near the head end, that could be pegged open (like the one at the foot end) with a short line making the whole thing just that much better.

G:

Brynglas

I have the Mountain Range double hooped bivvy which I use a lot, I prefer it to the standard bivvy bag as it does give more room for kit and space around your head and shoulders for reading etc. The mossie net is useful as it allows you to sleep with the door open and not get hassled by midges (mostly)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
hi magikelly,those bivvy bags are just what i need ,any ideas where i could get one.i have never seen one of these dpm hooped designs before.could not help but notice you and me are practically neighbours,here i thought i was about the only bushcraft er in ayrshire.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Silvermans do one called the Carinthian Observer Gore-Tex, its excellent Made by best defence, Gore-Tex actually recomend this brand, it has a zipped opening on the top with about a 3inch storm flap which press studs down this also has a mozzi net inside, it has a double Ally crossover hoop system at the head end which is free standing and the end totally unzips and also has a no-see-um mozzi mesh inner door,theres enough room at the head end to get your sack in too. Under the sack there is a loop system to hold your sleeping mat in place and loops at each corner if you wish to peg it down. This sack is designed for Snipers and is a very good bit of kit...........

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Hi Gill

Good to see there is another bushcrafter in the area, I was starting to get lonely :cry:

Now remember to add yourself to the map so that everyone can see how many members are in our area and they will organise the next BCUK right on our doorstep (well you can but hope).

As to Bivi bags I cannot really help you more than saying to keep an eye on Ebay. I have seen the double hooped one in a lot of paces (including the big Tiso in Glasgow) but they are always around the £200 which is far more than double what I paid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE