Homemade, hexi fuel ^^

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
today i ran out of hexi fuel -_-Sad, i ahd the candle and cotton so i made some more ^^

Sorry if this tread has been done before+_+

first choped up candles, and place in pot ^^

Kink158.jpg

Fire up the stove and melt them down ^^

Kink159.jpg

melting... once melted, place, cotten in , i done 4 at a time for max wax ^^

Kink161.jpg

and done ^^ RED! now jsut wait for them to dry, i gave them about1 hour +
i made 36 this time, could of made more but ran tou of candles

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
But you didn't add any Hexamine?

HEXAMETHYLENETETRAMINE (HEXAMINE) is a white crystalline powder with slight amine odor. Specific gravity is 1.27 at 25C . HEXAMINE is soluble in water, alcohol, and chloroform, but insoluble in ether. Formaldehyde and ammonia yield methenamine, or hexamethylenetetramine, which is used as a urinary antiseptic. Nitration of methenamine gives the explosive cyclonite, or RDX. Formaldehyde and acetaldehyde react with Hexamine in the presence of calcium hydroxide to give pentaerythritol, the tetranitrate of which is the explosive PETN. HEXAMINE is also useful in adhesives, coatings, and sealing compounds. In medicine, it is an antibacterial agent. It is used as a dye fixative and in the preservation of hides. It is used in vulcanizing rubber and as an anti-corrosive agent in steel. It is used in the detection of metals and in the absorption of poisonous gases. It stabilizes lubricating and insulating oils. It is sometimes burned in camping stoves, because it burns without smoke.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use old candles melted down and poured into egg-box moulds full of sawdust from my firewood cutting plus dust from my beltsander - no waste - no cost.
Tese burn realy well and I often use them in my Hobo ...the downside is the huge amount of greasy soot that they leave on the pans :(

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
still think the clas olsen pine blocks at £2.99 per pack of 72 work out the cheapest each one burns for approx 10 mins bit sooty but all natural

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Any idea how long it takes to boil water compared to hexi? I realise you've run out of hexi so a comparison might be a bit tricky but you'll know roughly how long it took with hexi I'd imagine? I've never tried this and I'm curious how long a cotton ball adds to burn time in wax and what the heat output is like...

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
Any idea how long it takes to boil water compared to hexi? I realise you've run out of hexi so a comparison might be a bit tricky but you'll know roughly how long it took with hexi I'd imagine? I've never tried this and I'm curious how long a cotton ball adds to burn time in wax and what the heat output is like...

around 8 mins for a canteen cup

they burn 1 around 13 mins? i think and they burn pretty hot, just around hard to light

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE