homemade folding bowsaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
Hi Guys!!

Im new to BCUK and this is my first post so i thought i'd share a few bits i've made recently. I really wanted a folding bow saw but after seeing them on a certain website for £80 i thought-hold on-how hard can it be to make one? the answer-not very. I made the saw from an old 2x4 i found in the garage and a cheapie bow blade from the hardware store-total cost? £3.75! take that capitalism!!!!!

The knife i made from bits ordered online and is my first attempt.

IMG_20110302_165702.jpgIMG_20110302_185442.jpgIMG_20110302_175518.jpgIMG_20110301_130228.jpgIMG_20110301_134648.jpg

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
That looks good bearman, did you follow plans or decide the dimensions yourself ? for the bow saw.

I saw a few online and just kinda guessed and made it up as i went along, used it yesterday, works well just need to bring the blade a bit closer to the crossbar and she'll be spot on :) i can measure it out if you are thinking about making one?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice looking bowsaw. Please take this in the spirit that it's given but the crossbar really ought to be lower so that the windlass is able to get a good tension on the fulcrum and tighten up that blade. (Sorry for the technical jargon there)

I've made a bowsaw of my own and the only criteria I used was the length of the blade. Everyting else was pure guesswork and what looked right to the eye of the beholder. I also figured I didn't need that deep a cut, because if I ever have to cut through a 10inch diameter log I could get away with a 5 inch gap between blade and crossbar I could just turn the log over and cut from the other direction. Problem solved.

I've come up with a very different version of a bow saw that I've not seen anywhere on the internet. Can't decide whether to throw the idea out there on the internet or patent the idea first. Not that that'd stop anyone copying it, but if a big company or someone like Ray Mears' outfit starts making them at massive profit I'd be a mug to just wave the design goodbye.

Nice looking knife handle that, really nice work!

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
Nice looking bowsaw. Please take this in the spirit that it's given but the crossbar really ought to be lower so that the windlass is able to get a good tension on the fulcrum and tighten up that blade. (Sorry for the technical jargon there)

I've made a bowsaw of my own and the only criteria I used was the length of the blade. Everyting else was pure guesswork and what looked right to the eye of the beholder. I also figured I didn't need that deep a cut, because if I ever have to cut through a 10inch diameter log I could get away with a 5 inch gap between blade and crossbar I could just turn the log over and cut from the other direction. Problem solved.

I've come up with a very different version of a bow saw that I've not seen anywhere on the internet. Can't decide whether to throw the idea out there on the internet or patent the idea first. Not that that'd stop anyone copying it, but if a big company or someone like Ray Mears' outfit starts making them at massive profit I'd be a mug to just wave the design goodbye.

Nice looking knife handle that, really nice work!

Yeah point taken about the cross bar Biker, have resolved the issue today by moving the blade up and shortening the two 'legs' thus shortening the length from the fulcrum and increasing pressure on the blade. Its just a mark I at the moment till i get all the bugs worked out, hopefully after a few trips out with it i can identify the faults and mkII will be awesome!!

Calurix-these are the measurements i have used, i used an old 2x4 and split it into lengths roughly 1 1/2" x 3/4" the two legs are:approx 1ft long. I didnt want a long saw so i made the crossbar 18" across (cut a little longer for the mortice joints) and cut down a cheap saw blade and redrilled it (at approx 20") i didnt look at blade lengths before i made it (oops) using a longer blade (i think they come in 22") might not add too much to the overall length. the crossbar is fitted approx 5" down from the top of the 'leg' to the centre of the bar. the windlass i just made to suit. I didnt have a router for the joints so i just drilled around the outline and chiseled out the excess, and the curved pieces are good old fashioned sandpaper and plenty of elbow grease!! These are by no means 'instructions' but thats what i've done and the saw looks/feels pretty good, just needs some testing. Hope this helps-good luck!

Oh yeah and thanks for the knife compliments!! it's a first try but i really enjoyed doing it, some different styles and shapes in the pipeline hopefully!!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE