Home made jerky, first attempt

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi all,

Just took possession of my new dehydrator and thought I would share my first test of it.
The dehydrator was from westfalia and came in at just under £40 delivered!

4d607d74-ce9a-8105.jpg

So firstly I made up a mix of salt, pepper and garlic.
4d607d74-cf20-b18f.jpg

Then I took some lean rump steak and sliced into trail snack sized pieces.
4d607d74-cf63-8454.jpg

4d607d74-cf84-1819.jpg

I then patted them dry and rolled them in the salt mix (in hindsight I used far to much and nice as the end result was a bit too salty for trail snacks but great for cooking) then placed on the drying trays.
4d607d74-d0a6-dab3.jpg

I left in the dehydrator for about 10 hours, swapping the drying trays round about 3 times until it had dried out fully!
4d607d74-d19b-a973.jpg

Finally I let it cool, dusted off the salt and put it all in an airtight jar for later!
4d607d74-d1e4-d913.jpg

I also used the bottom tray to dry some onion and carrot both for camp cooking which also had the pleasant side effect of infusing the beef with a hint of onion!
4d607d74-d29c-b28d.jpg

Hope you like it and hope to show some more of my attempts soon!

Cheers, Hamster

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Done well there. I have exactly the same one from Westfalia too. Bargain, isn't it? You wait until you start using wet marinades - soo tasty. If you want some good marinades to use pop into Lidl and they have some quite nice bbq marinades in little sachets.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Done well there. I have exactly the same one from Westfalia too. Bargain, isn't it? You wait until you start using wet marinades - soo tasty. If you want some good marinades to use pop into Lidl and they have some quite nice bbq marinades in little sachets.

Hi mace, bargain doesn't quite cover it when I consider the price of most of the others found whilst looking for one.
I was a bit sceptical due to the cost but couldn't be more pleased with it.

Funny you should mention marinades as I have my second batch soaking in the fridge as I type.
I'm not really a fan of the American style heavily seasoned jerkys as I like mine to take quite natural, bit like ruining a good steak with ketchup, but at just my personal preference.
I knocked up a really basic one with just salt, pepper and a touch of garlic and chilli flakes in some water instead of soy or worcester sauce. I did drop in about 2 table spoons of brandy too as I didn't have any red wine left and am hoping it just gives a hint of flavour.

Will hopefully have the result on here by tomorrow evening!

Hamster

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Does anyone know how much it costs to leave a dehydrator on overnight? Is it pennies, or pounds?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I tend to use a mix of black pepper, Salt, Garlic powder, Chilli flakes and either Wochester sauce or light soya sauce that way it still keeps the meat tender and tend to make mine in 6 hours on a medium heat turning once but everyone has different tastes of how hey like it.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one. :)

I'm building a solar dryer/dehydrator to do the same thing. No idea how well it'll work due to England being the planets place where "the sun don't shine" :rolleyes: If it does though.... :)

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hmmmm.... bit of help needed here.

Since my firt batch i have done another this time in a weak marinade of mainly salt, pepper and garlic.

This batch dried really, darker and a bit harder than the first, but didnt have quite the sright flavour for me.

Anyway both batches are now in an airtight kilner jar and i have noticed that first salty batch has started sweating, still tastes fine and isnt likely to be around long enough to worry about it actually going off/rancid but am hoping to do more batches for medium/long term storage and want to know if anyone else has any ideas.

Im not sure where the moisture is coming from as they were all fully dry inside and out unless this is some sort of residual fat in the meat?
The second batch, which was a bit leaner than the first, has shown no signs of sweating and does seem to be slightly harder and darker.

Any help would be appreciated as i actually prefered the now sweaty extra salty batch and am hoping to make en masse for storage.

Cheers, Hamster

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
It could be that there is a small bit of fat in the first batch and over time the salt is drawing out the moisture in that. It is slightly possible that the meat wasn't dried right to the centre too. How thin was it and did you check for this? I cut my jerky very thin and dry until it's quite brittle. Possibly I overdo it but I know for sure it's dried and in an airtight container it lasts 6 months easily. I also store it with a little rice. Just to ensure that any moisture in the container, etc is taken away.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
It could be that there is a small bit of fat in the first batch and over time the salt is drawing out the moisture in that. It is slightly possible that the meat wasn't dried right to the centre too. How thin was it and did you check for this? I cut my jerky very thin and dry until it's quite brittle. Possibly I overdo it but I know for sure it's dried and in an airtight container it lasts 6 months easily. I also store it with a little rice. Just to ensure that any moisture in the container, etc is taken away.

Was definately dried all the way through and was cut into thin strips, just over a quarter inch when dried.

I will definately try the rice idea and i think its most likely to be a small amount of fat as you suggested. Will fat like that have a detrimental effect when stored over a long period?

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
A very small amount I don't think so. After all it runs within the muscle. I try to trim off all that I can but I can tell the bits where I miss it. One day I really need to do a proper time test to see how it does. I think it's more important to have a clean airtight container to store it in. It depends on how long you're planning to store it too. I am wondering if you're looking at a very long time then if vacuum packing and freezing the jerky once made will be a better idea. I've never done this though so I'm looking to the rest of us for advice on this.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
A very small amount I don't think so. After all it runs within the muscle. I try to trim off all that I can but I can tell the bits where I miss it. One day I really need to do a proper time test to see how it does. I think it's more important to have a clean airtight container to store it in. It depends on how long you're planning to store it too. I am wondering if you're looking at a very long time then if vacuum packing and freezing the jerky once made will be a better idea. I've never done this though so I'm looking to the rest of us for advice on this.

To be honest i am only thinking of storing for up to 6 months max, knowing my love of the stuff probably much less, im just a bit concerned over the "sweating" thing as IIRC its the lack of moisture that prevents and bacteria from causing the meat to spoil?
Its being stored in an airtight jar but there will be some residual air in it as its not sealed to create a vacuum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE