Hobo stove versus gas stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamalex

Jan 27, 2010
Halifax
last time out James boasted that his hobo stove would be quicker than Snozz's gas stove. This is the result;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1EK6D84d-c

Snozz waited for James to get his stove fuelled and flaming before lighting his gas. Notice his lighter of choice. Usually lights it first time, put off by the camera!

Snozz was more than generous and only turned the gas up full when it looked like he was going to lose :pokenest:

Half a litre of water boiling in under 9 minutes.

Anyone done a "proper" comparison? :lmao:

Alex

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Nice to see a comparison.

I'm never in much of a hurry when I'm cooking. I usually start the stove going and then get on with something else while I'm waiting. (Often gathering more twigs or something like that.)

Having said that I've never sat there thinking "this is taking a long time" either.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I like my gas stoves, they can be quick and efficient (to a degree) but there's nothing like lighting up the hobo, and waiting for it to boil water for a brew or wash or a meal. Sitting there watching it, enjoying the smell of woodsmoke and feeling the warmth is nicer imo.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... hobo stove ... gas stove ... Half a litre of water boiling in under 9 minutes.

Anyone done a "proper" comparison?

I have a routine for making a brew with my 111B. I start the stove, get the rest of the stuff ready, and by the time I've done that the water is boiling. Normally I do about 600ml, that's a big mug of tea and a top-up. :) It probably takes about five minutes starting the stove from cold but I've never had reason to time it.

Last time I bothered about the time it took was to compare it with a Hiker+ which I had doubts about and which eventually went back to Amazon as not fit for purpose. Otherwise I'd probably think that if I need to time it, I'm using the wrong stove.

Never did get the kettle boiling with the Hiker+ (hence my unhappiness) but the 111B took about 3min 15s from a flying start and it wasn't even trying very hard. It can do more but it just wastes (even more) fuel as the flames start to lick up around the sides of the pot and I mightn't be ready for the water anyway. It runs for over an hour on a full tank at 'normal' output.

But I don't think it would beat a full 2.5 litre Ghillie Kettle... :p

For reference, at a 'normal' output the 111B uses about 4 grammes of fuel per minute, so at 45kJ/g that's about 3kW if that's any help to anyone.

To heat 600ml of water through 90 degrees Celsius takes about 230kJ of energy.

The hiker 111B at normal output (about 3kW) for 3m15s produces about 600kJ of energy.

What a waste! I feel the urge coming on to measure the efficiency of my Ghillie. :sigh:

jamalex

Jan 27, 2010
Halifax
I have a routine for making a brew with my 111B. I start the stove, get the rest of the stuff ready, and by the time I've done that the water is boiling. Normally I do about 600ml, that's a big mug of tea and a top-up. :) It probably takes about five minutes starting the stove from cold but I've never had reason to time it.

Last time I bothered about the time it took was to compare it with a Hiker+ which I had doubts about and which eventually went back to Amazon as not fit for purpose. Otherwise I'd probably think that if I need to time it, I'm using the wrong stove.

Never did get the kettle boiling with the Hiker+ (hence my unhappiness) but the 111B took about 3min 15s from a flying start and it wasn't even trying very hard. It can do more but it just wastes (even more) fuel as the flames start to lick up around the sides of the pot and I mightn't be ready for the water anyway. It runs for over an hour on a full tank at 'normal' output.

But I don't think it would beat a full 2.5 litre Ghillie Kettle... :p

For reference, at a 'normal' output the 111B uses about 4 grammes of fuel per minute, so at 45kJ/g that's about 3kW if that's any help to anyone.

To heat 600ml of water through 90 degrees Celsius takes about 230kJ of energy.

The hiker 111B at normal output (about 3kW) for 3m15s produces about 600kJ of energy.

What a waste! I feel the urge coming on to measure the efficiency of my Ghillie. :sigh:

Thanks for the figures, interesting, and I agree with your feeling on the waste. Snozz kept the gas low to avoid waste.

Like wayland's comment, and probably most people, never in a rush. We were all a bit amazed that Snozz is ALWAYS first to pitch camp and eat!

Personally I don't usually bother with hot food or drink when I'm out, just like a fire for comfort at night.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE