Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....What an axe you have in the background! Amazing please show more of it!

sorry mate, i only just noticed this question. a few of us seem to have the same axe and none of us are entirely sure where they came from. see this thread for a few more photo's and a little information.

stuart

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I have ground the handle off the pot though and drilled it to take the brake cable handle - otherwise it wont fit into the cutlery holder!

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
Anyone know a good place to get some stainless steel jars/containers for this as im having no luck.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Anyone know a good place to get some stainless steel jars/containers for this as im having no luck.

have you tried wilkinsons? they usually have a fair selection of things like tea caddies and biscuit tins in stainless steel

stuart

siman

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2010
Blackpool, UK
I got mine from Homebase for £4.99 I think it was. Is 170mm tall, inside diameter 120mm. Has a row of 4mm holes, then 6, then 8 then 10 and back down to 4.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys! Discovered this awesome thread over on bushcraftusa, definately going to have to try making one! Also an awesome youtube vid that breaks it down nicely.

I was wondering how small you could go with one tho? I might try and make a mini one out of beer cans that I can fit in my mug as a brew stove (rather than a fully fledged cooking stove), does that sound like a good idea?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

I have a fair few spare Tea/Coffee/Sugar tins in seamless s/s - bought to make into billies and hobos (some have already been converted to billies)...I could be talked into parting with a couple for ....say £2 per tin inc P&P? £3 for the ready converted to billy (wooden "button" on lid, wire bail)? PM me if you are interested...I only have a few though!

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Most beer cans are aluminium and tend to melt at the high temperatures reached by these things.

I might be wrong but I think that would be your problem.

Hmm, a google search says aluminium melts at 660.32 °C,, seems high enough to me. Only one way to find out!

Alternative would be to use the smallest tin cans I can find - I know the tomato puree cans are teeny so that's a contender

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Thought I'd add my abomination to the gallery :)

Made from an old dog food tin and a few metal rods scrounged from an near by skip ;)

23hslcz.jpg

24nion8.jpg

It's ugly but practical, it still needs a little work on it as I'm still in the "trouble shooting" stage lol

Last edited:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Hmm, a google search says aluminium melts at 660.32 °C,, seems high enough to me. Only one way to find out!

Alternative would be to use the smallest tin cans I can find - I know the tomato puree cans are teeny so that's a contender

This might be me but a wood fire can get up to 900 °C, so that might be a problem. Be interesting to know how hot a real hobo stove could get? I mean one with holes on either side, so you can angle into the wind, not one of the strainer ones.

I bet it is not aluminium but an alloy, so I would do a few tests first myself.

mclark

Forager
Dec 29, 2009
sitting under a tree
I have a fair few spare Tea/Coffee/Sugar tins in seamless s/s - bought to make into billies and hobos (some have already been converted to billies)...I could be talked into parting with a couple for ....say £2 per tin inc P&P? £3 for the ready converted to billy (wooden "button" on lid, wire bail)? PM me if you are interested...I only have a few though!
ive got one of mr fennas hobo stoves , great bit of kit ready made for ya , it gets used everytime im in the woods

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE