Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
I got mine from Homebase for £4.99 I think it was. Is 170mm tall, inside diameter 120mm. Has a row of 4mm holes, then 6, then 8 then 10 and back down to 4.

Im after something without holes, working on woodgas rather than a hobo so a container then a container within but hard to locate suitable items for this :(

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Finally got round to making a hobo stove ! [ well its another shiney stainless varient !!!!]

I picked up afew things from a local store at small cost then got to work with some minor alterations , I drilled afew extra holes and fitted 4 legs keeping it off the ground ,

the billy can is a coffeee tin which came with a lid , all i did was fit a wooden "handle" and drill a small steam hole .

Also fitted stainless wire for handles on both stove and pot .

DSCF5529.jpg

DSCF5534.jpg

DSCF5532.jpg

DSCF5533.jpg

DSCF5530.jpg

DSCF5538.jpg

siman

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2010
Blackpool, UK
Thinking of making one from a 50 Cal ammo box. Since I dont own a welder, you reckon fire cement would hold a flue in place and a baffle in the roof?

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
It depends how robust you want it Siman. I welded my ammo box stove as I carry it in my pack for short distance camps, so it gets a little battered. Why don't you start a separate thread with 'Ammo box construction questions' is something like that as a title? That way you'll probably catch the attention of those on here who have made them in the past. Happy building! :)

Aiden _Cub

Dec 16, 2010
Preston, Lancashire
here is mine so far.
very proud of the fray bentos frying pan.
still got some work to do on it, gonna put some wire on it and finishing touches etc, but what do you think so far?

DSC00566.JPG

DSC00567.JPG

DSC00570.JPG

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
I am definitely inspired gents! I have so much to learn, and this site is AMAZING for picking up tips. Off a-scavenging this weekend now! :D

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Apart from a pencil box that broke within milliseconds on my finishing it in junior school, I've never actually made anything. Until now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGeKMdjqsr8

The kit cost me £2. That is two containers from a pound shop and a spare coat hanger. It doesn't look as pretty as Wayland's but it works perfectly. Had a rolling boil in just over four minutes for around 300ml with the lid on.

Forget the Dremel. The stove wall, pot wall and stove base was thin enough to puncture with my Mora Clipper and a hammer to make the air vents, fire hole and bail arm holes. I used a screw that was the same length as the diameter of the stove which I put inside the stove close to where I aimed to puncture to add rigidity when puncturing at the top nearer the rim. The holes around the base of the wall and on the base of the stove itself didn't need any rigidity so I didn't need the screw.

I forced a kitchen knife steel that I've had for years through the metal piercings to create nice round air holes and push the sharp bits of metal inside, but this isn't necessary if you're not bothered about sharp metal sticking out or perfect spheres. Creating openings for the air to get in is the main thing.

For the bail arm I used a coat hanger. If you bend it right it will rub against the side of the pot lid and stay vertical or you can pull it back and out the way.

I used more of the coat hanger to create the two prongs on which the pot is placed. I cut through them with the knife and bent them back and forth till they snapped. I also pierced the lid of the pot to allow a little bit of coat hanger wire to be inserted (with a slight hook at the end) which allows the lid to be removed without burning hands. Although I did manage to burn my hand on a stray coal.

I'm gonna find/make a bag to put it in, and I'm gonna make some more holes on the base to let more of the ash fall free. As you can see I propped the stove on two bits of wood to create more space at the bottom for an updraft to occur. I dunno if this works.

The wood I used was twigs from my garden. Some of the bigger twigs I split with the Mora to create little faggots and these burnt a good'un but the little twigs with the damp bark benefited from a squirt of WD40.

All in, great fun and a sense of achievement for my first bushcraft construction. Tomorrow in my lunch hour I will be building a seal skin canoe. With primitive tools, of course.

Last edited:

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Some great ideas in this thread, of which I've borrowed quite heavily. So in the spirit of fairness, I thought I'd show you mine, and maybe add some new thoughts.

SAM_0092.jpg

It all stowed.

SAM_0093.jpg

Unpacked.

SAM_0103.jpg

SAM_0094.jpg

Rather than use pegs, I used some of the metal that I cut off to fashion the pot stand. These bend and slot into cuts on the side of the Tesco strainer.

SAM_0100.jpg

As you can see the pot sits quite happily on top.

SAM_0096.jpg

I cut off the top of the strainer, and forced it onto the bottom, to raise the fire plate up, to allow air in through the bottom.

SAM_0095.jpg

Some holes have been drilled in to allow me to peg the stove into the ground for stability. I also had a mate weld the two pieces together, and as you can see, the weld ate some of the steel away, but as the purpose of the top on the bottom was to allow air in, it's not a problem.

SAM_0097.jpg

The base has enough space to store my alcohol stove and some hexi tabs in a plastic tub I had to hand. It'll also serve as storage for cleaning sponge to stop things rattling.

SAM_0098.jpg

I made an insulated pot out of an old sponge pudding tin and plastic lid you get off ghee tins, so that you can rehydrate food without wasting fuel.

SAM_0101.jpg

This fits snuggly into the top pot...

SAM_0102.jpg

...and the main pot. Again no rattles

As you can see, it's not Guuchi, and in this form hasn't been out on trial yet, but it has been used in anger previously. I'm hoping that these few mods will improve on it's last outing.

Cheers for looking.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
I found this thread when I joined here, and boy did I get hooked!
Got an Ikea utensil holder off Ebay (nearest Ikea is 120 miles away)
and got the Dremmel out. This is the result
sam0251q.jpg

I added four bolts to the underside as feet and also as support for the grill
sam0247w.jpg

The grill came from a guy at work and I think he got it from a model shop. Anyway, the holes on the bottom are now off the ground and there is a nice air gap below the fire.

A couple of rods scavenged from the workshop at work as pot holders and away we go.
sam0250ek.jpg

I'm still looking for the perfect billy can to drop inside, but I snaffled this stainless coffee pot from a car boot sale. Coffee is an essential for me so hang the weight, it's coming too.
sam0249e.jpg

Once I get the billy sorted I'll stick up some pictures of that too. The problem is, it's now too shiny to set fire too!

Cheers.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Thanks.
It's just awesome what you can pick up at car boot sales for very little money.
The smell of real coffee and woodsmoke have always been part of the experience for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE