Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
My hobo stove works better with my trivet (made from a stainless steel ruler)

18965829585_9b95181221_c.jpg

18997650466_5d0a0d9db0_c.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2016
Czech Republic
Hi.

I'm building my own Ikea Hobo Stove in style of Russian wooden doll (matroska), to have "all in one", taking as little space possible and ideally lightweight.
I'll add some photos soon.

It's not that easy as I thought to find proper fitting mugs and pots. So far I found one pot fitting inside (Ikea) and one outside (Pepco) the stove.
I don't want to spend much money on this either, because otherwise it'll just lose the point...so I can rather bouth expensive Trangia cooking set.

I have a question for you. Where did you get the external pliers (holder) for pots? I saw it in some of your photos, it looks like the one from Trangia set.
I don't mean specific shop. The shop which you have in your country may not be in mine (Czech Republic). Maybe just a tip in which kind of shop to find it. If hardware shop like Bauhaus, Hornbach, OBI etc, which section?
Or at least for what purpose is it originally?

I don't want a holder permanently attached to each pot. It'll be to big and won't fit to each other. So far I'm using cloth to hold hot pot.

I welcome any other tips, even for specific shops if it's worldwide or located in central Europe (therefore possible in CZ too).
Or links to Aliexpress :)

Thank you in advance.
Cheers,
David.

Hi.

I'm building my own Ikea Hobo Stove in style of Russian wooden doll (matroska), to have "all in one", taking as little space possible and ideally lightweight.
I'll add some photos soon.

It's not that easy as I thought to find proper fitting mugs and pots. So far I found one pot fitting inside (Ikea) and one outside (Pepco) the stove.
I don't want to spend much money on this either, because otherwise it'll just lose the point...so I can rather bouth expensive Trangia cooking set.

I have a question for you. Where did you get the external pliers (holder) for pots? I saw it in some of your photos, it looks like the one from Trangia set.
I don't mean specific shop. The shop which you have in your country may not be in mine (Czech Republic). Maybe just a tip in which kind of shop to find it. If hardware shop like Bauhaus, Hornbach, OBI etc, which section?
Or at least for what purpose is it originally?

I don't want a holder permanently attached to each pot. It'll be to big and won't fit to each other. So far I'm using cloth to hold hot pot.

I welcome any other tips, even for specific shops if it's worldwide or located in central Europe (therefore possible in CZ too).
Or links to Aliexpress :)

Thank you in advance.
Cheers,
David.

Hi David,

Google "Pot Grabber" or "Pot Lifter" - you'll get plenty of options.

Good luck with your project.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've been revising this thread in preparation for Hobo Night at Scouts; and noticed that my original images have faded.

I thought that I'd add a reminder of how a wire bail can be used to secure a stove to a billy.
DSCF2283.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

[and had my usual struggle with inserting images]
UNtOO1z5r1jRalvTBLMBLtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

Last edited:

Maily

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2016
United Kingdom
Heads up peeps:

On the left is a home bargains £1.99 stainless drainer, bought today.
It's 4cm taller and 1cm narrower than the Ikea one on the right.
Material is a fair bit thinner on the home bargains jobby. It weighs 35g less than it's Swedish uncle.

Maily

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2016
United Kingdom

1 Home bargains drainer (£1.99)
+ 4 car boot sale stainless finds (£1.70)
+ plenty inspiration from this thread (invaluable)
+ 2ish hours tinkering (£0.00)
= 1 hobo stove mk1 (priceless)

Last edited:

cmarkod

Feb 18, 2016
Manchester
This is a quick one I knocked together to compare against a DIY gassifier. It's a marmalade can with a cut up coat hanger acting as both legs and pan stands. It fits well around my tatonka mug and Nalgene bottle but as I made it in a hurry, the drilled holes have sharp edges which catch a bit. The feet/pot stands rotate out to allow the bottle to fit in. Given the ease and fit with my kit, I may well make another and spend a bit more time ensuring a better finish. Apologies for sideways image...

stove3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE