Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've been thinking lately (not something that happens often!) and I've considered the idea of a telescopic hobo stove may be a worthy idea.

If you consider the fact most hobo stoves suffer the ability to produce prolonged heat mainly due to their lack of height, a model based on the idea that taller is better to allow flames to ride high and burn hot, you should be left with a packable stove that can reach decent heats faster than average.

I don't really know how to design a usable telescopic stove though, but I reckon done right would be pretty damn cool! Has anyone else came up with a similar idea/plan??

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I've been thinking lately (not something that happens often!) and I've considered the idea of a telescopic hobo stove may be a worthy idea.

If you consider the fact most hobo stoves suffer the ability to produce prolonged heat mainly due to their lack of height, a model based on the idea that taller is better to allow flames to ride high and burn hot, you should be left with a packable stove that can reach decent heats faster than average.

I don't really know how to design a usable telescopic stove though, but I reckon done right would be pretty damn cool! Has anyone else came up with a similar idea/plan??

OOOOOooohhh, sounds good Samon, get moving man and build it...;)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
typical, this thread got me in the mod top stay making one remembered asdas had the cutlery drainers cheap!!

no they don't :confused:

Now tried three or for shops with no joy :( anyone give me a heads up on a drainer suitable, apart from the ikea ones.

I've seen them in Morrisons, if that helps. Problem is they seem to sell these kind of things as "When they're gone, they're gone." type promotions. I have tosay that my Ikea hobo stove, is one of my favourite bits of kit.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland

Dont know man, Seems like you are over engineering something that is not really a problem in the first place. A Hobo stove should be lightweight and easy to pack away and very inexpensive to make, a million Hobo's cant be wrong. The ones i have seen on here fit that bill....

Unless of course you are talking about one that collapses down to something the size of a shoe polish tin i dont see a need for a collapsible Hobo stove. One that gives off better and prolonged heat yes, but surely if we Just keep adding the fuel and they will burn for as long as you want them to... And for the most part we only use them for a quick brew anyway. But feel free to try. I would be intrigued to see one in action.

Man never got to where we are today without ideas and the Implementation of those ideas. I like the way you think, I believe the idea of a collapsible Hobo stove could work, but would it be any better than what we have available today.?

Ps, Nowhere near as good an idea as my idea for leaf spring loaded inline skates though. and dont get my started on my Non-nonstick frying pan for the international space station. "Space, A place where you really need your Sausages to stick" :lmao:

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
typical, this thread got me in the mod top stay making one remembered asdas had the cutlery drainers cheap!!

no they don't :confused:

Now tried three or for shops with no joy :( anyone give me a heads up on a drainer suitable, apart from the ikea ones.
Try B&M Bargains. Poundstretchers, Home Bargains etc..I got a SS drainer and a set of three SS Coffee/Tea/Sugar pots with lids for the cooking vessels from Poundstretchers...£6 all in.
The rest i need to finish off the project i have here, or can knock up myself for free. Wood Handles for the pot lids etc.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

If you want a longer burn time, you'll need one so you can add bigger fuel pieces. Just an ides though.two drainers side by side in a figure'8' and you can add more fuel one side whilst you have a pot on the other. They probably will not pack together though, you will probably have to hunt for similar but not identical containers.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Try B&M Bargains. Poundstretchers, Home Bargains etc..I got a SS drainer and a set of three SS Coffee/Tea/Sugar pots with lids for the cooking vessels from Poundstretchers...£6 all in.
The rest i need to finish off the project i have here, or can knock up myself for free. Wood Handles for the pot lids etc.

They got em on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I still prefer using my last designed hobo and it's been so reliable and fits into my maxpedition falcon 2.

[video=youtube_share;pyifJkhsCkQ]http://youtu.be/pyifJkhsCkQ[/video]

[]http://youtu.be/CMPAZHsx1cY[/]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Now that is some good pot selection to get such neatly fitting ones, you must have spent searching

I was just lucky I guess, just looking around a discount shop and found some stacked inside each other, so just grabbed the best ones. I use one for drinks and the other for food stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
c7bdb26a869525effe1785fd1f534f5e.jpg

Hobo in meths mode making hot chocolate and chocolate bread on my steel plate...

dabberty

Tenderfoot
I started to make a windshield for mine from aluminium drinks cans, but it's a right royal pain in the neck….so I had a look on ebay and bought a folding one from China for under three pounds :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181475693110?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It's very good with the hobo stove :) as well as with the little pop can ones.

M

I bought that folding winscreen as well from china, and the one thing you should not do is exposing it to open flame for more then a few minutes.
Mine just shrunk and melted away when I tried to use it as a hobo stove itself..

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Just saw this:

"We are delighted to announce that “Risuralli”, the Hobo Stove Rally will form part of The Bushcraft Show 2015. Anyone with a wood-burning stove or hobo stove can demonstrate their stove. The diversity of the style of stoves is huge and the same stove can be used in multiple ways. People can learn new ideas from each other and the best result is that the manufacturers get ideas for their new products.At The Bushcraft Show 2015, we aim to set a new World Record and we invite you to be a part of it. In collaboration with the Guinness World Records we aim to have the most number of hobo stoves and wood burning stoves burning at the same time and in the same place."

Z

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all, having been inspired by the great examples on show here and I thought it was about time i uploaded some pics of my take on the hobo stove. I'll be honest and say that i think it's a little less hobo than many on here but its multifunctional and works for me so here goes:

20150405_110632_zpsc7sfeti6.jpg~320x480

As with many others its based around the ikea utensil holder, I cut out a feeder hole and have used a computer fan guard as a trivet, I'm not sure how that will fare so i have some cut down tent pegs as well. As with the other hobos on this gallery, it's truly multi fuel and can be used with wood, hexi or trangia. For cooking I've got a 10cm zebra billy which fits perfectly inside but only after you replace the handle with some bicycle brake cable and choc blocks! I've also got a nice 'hairy bikers' cast iron pan which I got for £3.99 from tk maxx

20150405_111117_zpsqfmsoeq9.jpg~320x480

20150405_111211_zpsnd9mz5db.jpg~320x480

And here's how it packs down. I appreciate its not exactly lightweight but I'm not particularly interested in gram counting (that viewpoint will no doubt evolve over time!!) I can carry it comfortably with all my kit and thats all that matters. You also see my responsepak in the pics, that holds what I'd best descrbe as my camp essentials: FAK, blades, fire kit, brew kit, poo kit, head torch, spare batteries and of course some of the bits that make up my hobo stove like the pot grip, spork and my wooden spoontula (yes i spelt that correctly!!).

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Finally got round to making one of these and then forgot to post in on this thread. Anyway, here it is.

18135676919_9bc1167a42_c.jpg

Ikea Ordning Stainless Steel Cutlery Stand (available here) and a GSI Halulite Kettle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE