HMS Gannet search and rescue to close. please help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relfy

Nomad
Cool, thanks for clarifying Scoman. That's really interesting... and I guess we'll see how it goes... :) I do hope it all gets working well and quick right from the start though, as at the end of the day its not the money that will be on anyone's consciences, its people's lives.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I don't see much of a problem with this except a dent in the economy local to the base. But if the base is so small (really only 100 staff) the impact should be negligible and the staff will surely be deployed elsewhere.

It seems the new system will be more efficient. :eek:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Living nearby to HMS GANNET and my mum having worked with all the staff when it was fully operational (not just sar),I have an emotional connection in that I've always been proud to have those guys in my locale.

Anyhoos,
Prestwick Airport is one of, if not the only port with almost 100% fog free access.
I stand to be corrected as I haven't researched the data.

Was this a consideration in sighting the base here originally?

The airport itself is often maligned but where do the majors come to land and park in adverse weather...

As far as I was always aware the guys of the rescue unit were happy down here and loved the area for training and living in.

They are the busiest sar too i believe and have numerous awards to their names.

I don't want to see them go for sure.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Had a response from HM government about this today.
http://www.hmg.gov.uk:80/epetition-responses/petition-view.aspx?epref=HMSGannet

"http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/HMSGannet/

Government response
There are currently no plans to close HMS GANNET at Prestwick or move the facility to Glasgow.

As part of the joint MOD and Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) PFI project (SAR-H) to provide a future Helicopter Search and Rescue capability, it was announced in February 2010 that the preferred bidder was Soteria, who have chosen to relocate the future service to Glasgow Airport.

On 17 June the Chief Secretary to the Treasury announced that the Government intends to undertake a rapid review of the SAR-H project in the context of the wider pressures on public spending. Until this review has been completed it would be premature to comment on basing of the future SAR-H service.

HMS GANNET, as a Royal Naval Air Station, has a wider military role and its future is not directly related to the SAR-H decision. MOD has a long-term commercial lease with the Prestwick Authorities for this Air Station. All aspects of Defence will however be under scrutiny as part of the on-going Strategic Defence and Security Review."

:D

Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE