Hilleberg Nallo 2 - enough space for 2 men?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Hi,

Anyone has any experience with the Hilleberg Nallo (or Nammatj since it has about the same inner dimensions) tents?
I'm thinking about buying one but am still in doubt which model to get... Either Nallo 2, Nallo 2 GT or Nallo 3...
So is the Nallo 2 big enough for two persons, even if the second is not my girlfriend? Or should I better get the Nallo 3, which is a bit wider?
And is the GT version needed if I want to throw my 88 litre backpack and shoes (+ the gear of my partner) in it? Or should I be just fine with the smaller one's vestibule?

Thanks in advance!
Lasse

Edit: any of you use the footprint or is it usually not needed?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have used my Nallo 2 with my son. I am 6'1" and he is 6'4" tall and, even with our gear, there was enough space on a number of backpacking trips that we have done together. If, however, you are looking at it from a more 'outdoor living' perspective, then you might find the 3 or the GT is better. Personally, I don't much like hallways on a tent - if I want to increase the living area, I use one of the Hilleberg ultralight tarps, which is much more versatile and a good deal bigger.

Whichever you choose, you'll find it's superb kit!

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I have a Nallo 2 GT and there is tons of space you definitely don't need to go bigger for two people.

IMHO the GT version is well worth the extra weight for having a great sheltered space for wet kit etc. Mine weighs in at 2.5kg total which frankly is next to nothing for 2 peoplegiven the space and comfort you get. When it's chucking it down in the Lakes, you can't beat having that big porch area to get out of your soaking kit without soaking the inner tent.

Scoops

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Used all three and the 2gt is the pick of the bunch, with so much space for your kit 'outside' theres plenty of space for two inside. :)

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for all your replies!

I think I'll be getting the 2 GT than, but before I go ordering: should I also get the footprint or do you reckon it's not needed?

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Footprint: of course. Always.
And (Imho the only way): put the sleeping mat between the tentfloor and the footprint.
This is the only way to avoid puncture in the tentfloor, if you are in rockily areas.
In Hilleberg-tents always seal the seams, from the inside (floor too).

I didn't like the Nallo for two persons. The tentpoles are of different size. I always have double tentpoles. In my Nammatj it is easy to interchange the poles - same length. Or carry less spare poles.
The ventilation in the Nallo is imo not too good. I don't like the Nallo-bottom-solution (snow ...). The two ventilation openings in the Nammatj work perfect.
Rumours: the Hilleberg-tents with the ultra-thin material (of the Nallo) are of less quality than in recent years. (Have a look at Helsport?)
Dyneema tent-line is nice, and small open nylon bags as replacement for pegs - in sand and snow.

Akto on solo-tour and Nammatj on tour with my darling is my choice. I prefer the non-GT-version. Sometimes I take a poncho. Same weight and more flexible than the GT-stuff.
Both tents still look new. Highly recommend Hilleberg. Maybe get a used one. And look for an extra strong tentfloor - Hilleberg made a certain number of extra thick tentfloors (some years ago).

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I think I'll be getting the 2 GT than, but before I go ordering: should I also get the footprint or do you reckon it's not needed?

I didn't get the foot print and I wish I had, although just for the porch area to stop it chewing up when it's wet, not sure I'd want to carry a whole footprint.

I disagree with Ogden, if you inspct your pitch site properly you don't get punctures, I havn't sealed my groundsheet, it doesn't need it, I camp in the Lakes mostly and I have yet to get any water through. There are three poles, two the same length and the longer one has a red marker on it and goes in the red marked sleeve, Pretty easy even on a felltop in the dark in the rain ;) The GT's are great in snow because you can dig a cold well in the porch. The thin material stands up to all the UK weather I've encountered and weighs less, why go heavier? Just sticking up for my tent :D

Scoops

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Anyone used their Nallo or Nammatj in snow? Am starting to doubt about the Nallo because I would like to use it in snowy Sweden when I visit my brother during the winter months...

Footprint I'll include, thanks for the advice!

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
They are Swedish tents :D

I first encountered a Hilleberg about 200km North of the Arctic Circle on a Woodlore course. There was a lot of snow. It was great.

Have a read through the Hilleberg site, there's lots of info on using the tents in snow. Click on Information at the top and then winter camp. on the left menu.

Hilleberg Site

Scoops

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have used my hilleberg on spitsbergen, in the alps, in northern sweden, in all of norway and in northern finland. They are made to handle snow, and does it very well. I haven't used or bought the footprint, don't see the need for it either.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Wouldnt worry about snow, as has already been said they are swedish tents ;)
The footprint depends on where you camp, anything rocky then go for it, otherwise save the weight, never used a footprint and no problems, just be carefull where you pitch, this makes sense for your sleeping comfort aswell, no one wants to sleep on a sharp rock even with a mat :puppy_dog

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I've used my Nammatj 2 for 12 years in winter conditions in the north of Sweden and Norway as well as in the winter Alps. Never had a problem with snow, rain or wind. With a massive winter equipment, it can get cramped in the vestibule if you want to cook there at the same time as having your stuff there, but otherwise there's plenty of room for 2 persons with gear.
On very rainy tours I sometimes wished I had the GT vestibule to be able to dry out stuff, but in general I feel the standard Nammatj is big enough.
Regarding the floor: Never had a puncture or a leak, and that's despite having camped on sharpish rocks and prickly stuff, and had so much water run under the tent it felt like a waterbed!! :eek:
Never had a footprint, and never really needed one. Why carry the extra weight?

/ Karl

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I know they're made in Sweden ;) I basically read every word of their catalog trice ;)

My question about the snow handling of the Nallo model is more about the condensation which could build up due to the unusable rear vent, while the Nammatj, Kaitum and Allak have 2 higher placed vents. That's why I also asked about the Nammatj, might be a better choice for what I want to do with it, but I'm not sure yet, very difficult choice!... :sigh:

So does anyone have experience with the Nallo when the rear vent is blocked by snow? I read some good and some not so good reviews so really don't know what to expect.... :dunno:

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
The Swiss adventurer Evelyne Binsack recently returned from Antarctica to where she went on skis and lived in a tent the whole way. The tent she used for that expedition was a Hilleberg Nallo...

You can see some pictures from her expedition here.

I don't think you can make a harder winter test on your equipment than that, and if the Nallo was good enough for Evelyne Binsack...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I know they're made in Sweden ;) I basically read every word of their catalog trice ;)

My question about the snow handling of the Nallo model is more about the condensation which could build up due to the unusable rear vent, while the Nammatj, Kaitum and Allak have 2 higher placed vents. That's why I also asked about the Nammatj, might be a better choice for what I want to do with it, but I'm not sure yet, very difficult choice!... :sigh:

So does anyone have experience with the Nallo when the rear vent is blocked by snow? I read some good and some not so good reviews so really don't know what to expect.... :dunno:

I have only used the nammatj and akto during winter, but if you want LOADS of experiences from nallo in winter I suggest you register yourself on www.utsidan.se (a swedish outdoor forum) and say that you want to hear peoples opinions on using nallo in winter, you will get A LOT of reviews. Almost everybody speaks english, and nobody has ever looked down upon someone asking questions in english although it is a swedish forum.

Here are reviews of nallo and nallo GT Doesn't say so much, but at least you see the ratings...

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I too have only used the Nammatj (GT) and Fjällräven Akka in winter but I am getting a Nallo2GT for this season. The reason is weight.
The Nallo has had a less than perfect ventilation and was changed in 2006 but as you say it doesn´t really work if you bury it in snow. However, I can not believe that so many people, outdoors(wo)men like ourselves as well as professional adventurers would be so happy with it if it was useless. Rather I belive they have a more realistic idea of condensation in tents.
The Nallo has compromised ventilation for light weight. What is important for you?
Will you carry it a lot on long trips och will it be more of a basecamp?
Also the Nallo´s lightweight fabric is on par with other manufacturers heavier fabrics.
It is the Nammatj and it´s peers that are in a league of their own! :)

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Here are reviews of nallo and nallo GT Doesn't say so much, but at least you see the ratings...

I understand a bit of Swedish so already read those reviews really ;) But a good idea to just ask them!

Husky, the only reason for going Nallo would indeed be the weight, but it's scary to read some of the reviews ;)
"Den lättare Kerlon duken hänger MYCKET vid väta", "Inte det bästa vintertältet", "väven smäller vid blåst,väven hänger ned vid väta", "kondens på vintern", ... (utsidan.se)
It's a lot of money imo, so a difficult choice...

Cheers,
Lasse

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Husky, the only reason for going Nallo would indeed be the weight, but it's scary to read some of the reviews ;)
"Den lättare Kerlon duken hänger MYCKET vid väta", "Inte det bästa vintertältet", "väven smäller vid blåst,väven hänger ned vid väta", "kondens på vintern", ... (utsidan.se)
It's a lot of money imo, so a difficult choice...

Cheers,
Lasse

As Husky said, in the end you have to choose what's the most important to you.
Is it weight - then you can't have the toughest/strongest materials.
Is it strength - the tent will be heavier
Is it price - not too good materials
Is it ventilation - probably strength goes down, alternatively weight goes up

Really, it's up to you to make the choice.
However much we wish the all perfect tent was out there, we still have to wait for it to be invented.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE