Hi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
I've been lurking a while now and thought I should say hello. I'm from Birmingham in the uk, the home of bushcraft, an area of outstanding beauty and lush green forest (I wish).

I've had practically no experience of bushcraft at all, but have a burgeoning ember of interest which this site is blowing to flame. At some point I'm going to try it, just take a few days off and head up to Scotland and have a go, though probably with a more experienced friend at first. Just need to sort some kind of tent/shelter thingy out... and get permission from SWMBO of course.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hello and welcome. If you have any questions feel free to ask, someone will know the answer. :biggthump :wave:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
:wink:
khimbar said:
I've had practically no experience of bushcraft at all, but have a burgeoning ember of interest which this site is blowing to flame. At some point I'm going to try it, just take a few days off and head up to Scotland and have a go, though probably with a more experienced friend at first. Just need to sort some kind of tent/shelter thingy out... and get permission from SWMBO of course.

fantastic :biggthump Get stuck in :wink:

We're having two meet ups this year (BushMoots) and they would be great opportunities for you to get together with like minded people and learn a great deal in a very relaxed atmosphere....And it's cheap!

You'll also find that there are many members that are more than happy to go out with you and show you the ropes so to speak, I see that you've had an offer already :biggthump

Any questions feel free to ask.

have a good one :wink:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Good to have you here :biggthump

Any questions you have don't be affraid to ask. There is no such thing as a dumb question, only not asking is dumb ;-) There are alot of knowledgable folk here who will be more than willing to help you out.

Enjoy you new venture into bushcraft
:)
Ed

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
Fair enough, I'll take you up on that. My first stupid question is...for the first timer (who has camped before in a campsite/car civilised way) which is better for shelter? A one man tent? A tarp? A bivvy? I realise I'm setting myself up for the answer 'It depends what you want to do' but I'd be grateful for some hints and advice. I'm looking to stay as light as possible and carry everything I need.

And if the admins want to move this to a more appropriate place feel free!

and thanks for the warm welcomes.

jakunen

Native
Khimbar, aside from 'what you intend to do with it' you should also think of where you're going and what the weather is likely to be like...

I have a hennessey hammock for woodland when its fairly warm, a tent for colder climes and a bivi & hootchie for lightweight/summer trips.

Get either the most verstaile or the one you feel most comfortably with.
Some don't like hammocks as they don't give you any privacy and the wind rips through them. Persoanlly I like them...

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
That should have been the first question shouldn't it! Where's a good place to go and play for the first time? Central England would be best as that's close to home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE