Hertfordshire Meets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Ok, so where does everyone do their bushy wandering? Lets see if we can sort something out :)

Generally, I wander round "Warren Wood" in Newgate Street village and "Beechcroft Woods" in Broxbourne.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I often get into woods in the Broxbourne Woods 'complex'. Warren Wood is used as for paintballing isn't it? Do you have permission or are you keeping a low profile TylerD? I don't know Beechcroft Woods (you don't mean Bencroft Wood do you?). There are several woods with public access - Broxbourne Wood & Bencroft Wood are owned by Hertfordshire County Council. Others are Woodland Trust owned. Of course public assess means knives are an issue.

The Great Wood Country Park (Welwyn Hatfield District Council) is public access but has a specific ban on fires of all kinds. And there are no rights of way so out of hours access is problematic.

The Ashridge Estate is fantastic, but too far away from me in Hertford to be easy just to drop into.

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Thoth, you are correct, I did mean Bencroft... D'oh!

As for Warren Wood, I know the guy who runs the Paintball up there and used to play Airsoft there too (if you know what that is?).

The only place I've has a small fire at is Warren Wood, still working on a suitable "Hobo" stove to cart about with me :)

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Hi Neil,

I use a Honey Stove when I want a brew in the publically accessible woods. I'm a volunteer 'Wood Warden' so am very unlikely to have problems with the woods-police as I am one! But it has been impossible to get any formal permission from Herts County Council even though I know the right people in the Countryside Management Service. I'd be happy to meet-up sometime if you fancy it? PM me to fix something up if you're interested. You can find out about the Wood Wardens here - http://www.hertslink.org/cms/getinvolved/woodwardens/?view=Standard You'd be welcome to come to the next meet on Sunday 24th see here - http://www.hertslink.org/cms/content/15488274/15488278/wwautumn2010.pdf

Cheers for now, Steve

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I drove past the Great Wood, Warren Wood and the ones in Broxbourne on Sunday (on my way back from Paradise Wildlife park for my Son's 3rd birthday treat) and thought to myself they look interesting. If I recall correctly there is a byway that runs along the side of Warren Wood isnt there? I must check the OS map.

I wouldnt mind meeting up with some local folk at some point, even if its just for a bimble...

ATB, Jon.

Updated: Just had a quick look on the OS, anyone know anything about Well Wood (virtually oposite The Great Wood on the OS map) looks interesting. I remember as kid riding my bike in Fir Wood & Five Acre Wood (off of Coopers Lane Road, Potters Bar area). Small but very nice.

Last edited:

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
There should be an access way between the Tyler's Causeway entrance to Warren Wood and Ponsbourne Park Hotel and White Stubbs lane. The Paintballers/Airsofters should only be there at the weekends.

A meet up would be good, see if we can get a regular thing going :) M.Durston on these boards in on better talking terms with the chap that runs the Paintball than I, I'll see if I can get him interested :) then we may have somewhere to camp in etc.

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
hi there not herts but nearby . i live in harlow and use latton woods for most of my bimbles and a few stealth camps, would be interested in meetin up if poss.

Jun 18, 2009
Herts
Woods in Hertfordshire that people have access to…where do I sign up? Hello, I’m new to this thread, for some reason or other I’d never thought to look in on the meetups and social chatter! Unfortunately I have nothing to bring to the group in terms of access to woodlands and other interesting places, but have bivvy bag and will graft / bring alcohol / give lifts (delete as appropriate). Actually, come to think about it, probably not up for too much graft ;) Stu
You're a lucky man :)

So, who else is up for arranging a get together this year?

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Whippendell Woods near Watford is good for a sleep out. Council owned woodland so no cutting timber for big camp fires - but camping out and hobo stoves are tolerated (I've checked it out informally with one of the Rangers).

I'm planning a friday night sleep out for this coming weekend or the next (4th or 11th Feb 2011) if anyone is interested. Walk up there from Watford any time from pm onwards - torches obviously essential at this time of year!

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I'm walking & doing volunteer conservation this w/e (4th/5th) and off to Shropshire with some other folk next w/e. Please post here if any meet is fixed on other weekends. Watford is some way from me (Hertford) but any access to Warren Wood would be very welcome. Harlow & Stevenage not too far tho'.

liquidusblue

Mar 29, 2011
Herts
I'm also local-ish to Stevenage. I know almost nothing about bushcraft though.

Does anyone know who owns Wain Wood / West Wood near Preston & Hitchin. I've walked past both but they have "private / no entry signs" all over so people would be unlikely to claim ignorance there. Hitch wood is also close, no signs up but I think it is privately owned still.

What is the view on this forum with regard to seeking permission for access? I don't want to annoy anyone (as they would rightfully be with someone trespassing over their porperty!) nor get busted for it, especially as i'd not be aiming to harm anything nor leave a trace.

Do people tend to chance it and be polite if discovered, try to explain you are doing no harm and move off straight away if asked? Or ask first and run the risk of an immediate No, putting you straight in trouble either having no woods around to learn from or deeper in trouble if you ignore the answer and are found?

Thoth i'd be particulary interested in your advice as you seem to conviently straddle the official/personal intest line, so must understand both sides.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE