Herne's Arrow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Possibly one of the biggest influences to get out and fanny about in the woods when I was a kid, was the amazing programme Robin of Sherwood. It's the one programme that really showed the magic and mystery of life in the forest, and it was beautifully shot. Had a perfect cast and brilliantly portrayed characters that has not been surpassed. After watching that show, I was in the woods at every opportunity, and it got me into archery, which I still do today. It also had an amazing score by Clannad, which put them in the public eye is a huge seller for them today.

Anyway, apart from Robin's sword Albion, which I managed to get a few years ago, I always wanted Herne's silver arrow. The ancient symbol of England.
ROS.jpg
m

The arrow was used during Series 1&2 (arguably the best seasons before Michael Praed left and Jason Connery took over). The silver arrow represented the ancient England and was a totem of pre-christian England. Robin's father, Ailric, Thane of Loxley, was the guardian of the arrow until it was stolen and Ailric murdered by the Sheriff of Nottingham. When Herne the Hunter calls the Hooded Man to the forest, Robin is charged with taking back the arrow and uses it to kill the Baron De Belleme. The arrow makes a further appearance when one of Belleme's witches bewitches Robin into stealing the arrow from Herne's cave and uses its power to reanimate the dead body of the Baron.

P1010610.jpg

P1010603.jpg

Last edited:

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Damn it, now I'm going to have to hunt for my DVDs! I always remember, when I was a kid, the feature length episode with the nuns and the hounds of Lucifer. It had been advertised for weeks and I was so excited, sat down to watch it and half an hour in there was a power cut. I was devastated! It was years before I found out what happened. The show is also what got me into archery. Nice job on tracking down the arrow!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
yep that seies had me and my pals out in the woods playing the characters,of course i was allways tuck ,my mate Danny was nazir, and Brendon was Robin.The games lasted a summer until i shot Brendon in the chest with a blunt arrow ,thought ide killed him!

well envious of your find,any pics of the sword?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
'Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen,
Robin Hood Robin Hood, with his band of men.'

Like John, this is the one from my childhood..

Can only remember the Monty Python Denis Moore version after those two lines...
'Steals from the poor, gives to the rich, stupid b****.'

Time to go I think.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Even here they have broadcasted this show, and I too got inspired to do archery because of it.
I have the 2 dvd boxes, although I liked the first actor better for the role than jason connery.
The first episode where Much shot that deer is still my favourite.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Trivia

The actor who played Nazir, Mark Ryan became the sword master for the films, King Arthur and First knight, and if you notice Ioan Gruffudd character, Lancelot has the same fighting style and armour as Nazir, to pay homage to Mark. Also the actors whoc played The Sheriff and Guy also appear in King Arthur as saxonw warriors.

As robin of sherwood was filmed on the mendips, loads of local kids would travel thre to reenact scenes from the series near actual locations

Al

MandaPanda

Jul 24, 2011
Sussex
Very nice find!
I was also a great fan of this show which got me interested in historical re-enactment... (ok wrong century but.....)
I particularly liked the fact that Marion could hold her own and the depiction of Herne sowed the seeds that got me into paganism.
Ah happy days!

Attachments

• Medieval Melicent.jpg
    Medieval Melicent.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE