Autumn overnighter in kent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hello campers!

Thought I’d post up a short trip report from last weekend’s overnighter in my local woods. This overnighter was when the clocks went back so it meant I got an extra hour in my hammock – happy days!

I’ve learnt there’s only one problem with overnight camping trips, they go too quickly and I always find that I run out of time to do the things that I want to do. But any dirt time is good time and I did at least get to practice some skills.

First up was fire lighting, being something of a novice in this game, a frequent source of frustration for me is my general incompetence when it comes to lighting fire at this typically damp time of year. It’s easy in Spring/Summer but a totally different beast in the Autumn/Winter. This time things were different, I did some research via the medium that is ray mears’ literature, I planned ahead and gathered some birch bark and dried it out in my shed, I spent time gathering dry(ish) dead standing wood – twigs were more than sufficient for my wood gas stove. Everything was organised and alas it was slow to get going but it worked.

My only gripe with the wood gas stove is that it seems to take a while to get going after you add some more sticks. Perhaps it’s because of my incompetence at managing fires with less than ideal wood but I’ve read about others having similar issues. Having said that, it does work really well with my trangia and when coupled with the MSR cook-pot, makes for a very versatile and compact cook-set.

20151025_071408_zpsfguvzev7.jpg

20151024_141744_zpsdcg6kkaa.jpg

20151024_174425_zpsblu8okkd.jpg

Maybe I need to get a life but I’m quite partial to learning about different knots and their uses. Up until now I’ve been setting up my tarp ridgeline with an evenk hitch and a few wraps around the other tree with a half hitch to secure. This time I used a bowline knot to create a loop which enabled me to wrap the paracord around one tree and then secure the ridgeline on the other tree with a truckers hitch. Now why didn’t I learn about this knot sooner, it’s so much easier and enables you to make the ridgeline nice and taught. Here’s a handy tip for anyone wanting to learn some new knots….Go on google and search for the knot that you want to learn, look at the images, download the one you like onto your smartphone and there you have a readily accessible aide memoir should you need it. Saves on having to pack a book about knots!

20151024_144703_zpsmxcvy5lt.jpg

Once camp was set-up a few of us did a bit of target practice with our catapults. My wife bought me a new one that I wanted to try as my home-made one was proving to be pretty useless. The new one was a huge improvement though so methinks a bit of small game might be on the menu for the next camp.

My amazing wife had also bought me a puukko knife and opinel saw as an early Christmas present. I’ve been wanting a puukko/sami style knife for a long time and it didn’t disappoint. The small opinel saw was also very good and cuts quite efficiently through wood up to 3inches in diameter. I’ve got a nice piece of silver birch sitting in my man-cave at home so I’m looking forward to putting these tools to good use and going to work on some carving projects during the coming months.

20151024_133604_zpst2oyz9d5.jpg

Unfortunately the weather wasn’t on our side for this camp and we had a bit of rain throughout the afternoon and night so we spent a fair amount of time huddling under a tarp, managing the fire and consuming some of that evil brown fizzy stuff!! Sometimes this is just the way it goes but we knew the weather was coming and we were all prepared for it. There’s something very pleasing about camping in bad weather, if you’re confident in your kit and set-up then you can sit back and listen to the soothing pitter patter of rain on tarp. You kind of feel like you’re sticking two fingers up at the weather gods!

Since I started hammock camping, my mindset seems to have changed in so much as I look forward to bedtime and zipping up into my sleeping bag and looking like a giant caterpillar as I wriggle into the hammock. This time was no different and as the overnight temperatures in Kent were set to drop to 4 degrees, I remained very warm and comfy in my hammock while it gently rocked me to sleep.

That was until about 4am when I woke up with a cold shoulder and found that my foam mat had slid from underneath me. It was easily adjusted as I also needed to get up and answer a call of nature. However it has got me thinking about how I can remedy this situation. First of all, I’ve posted a letter to Father Christmas. As I’ve been such a good boy this year I’ve asked him if he’ll get me an underblanket….we’ll see what happens there!

In the interim, I’m thinking that I may cut my foam mat into two pieces and lay it out in my hammock in a kind of T shape so that the T section surrounds my upper body and shoulders. I’d welcome any thoughts from forum members on how they have dealt with this scenario (other than the obvious solution being to buy an underblanket!!). I’ve no qualms with the foam mat as it does do a very good job, I just need to keep it in position as the next camp will undoubtedly be colder. Another option is the multimat brand of foam mats seem to be a better quality and seem to have a rough and kind of dimply surface which looks less likely to move about than my cheapo foam mat with it’s very slick surface? They’re currently on offer (£12.99) at my local independent camping shop so I might check that option out.

Here’s a piccy of one of my camp buddies enjoying his very luxurious set-up. He was ground dwelling but had also developed a ‘mezzanine floor’ and was able to enjoy panoramic floor to ceiling views – this I’m sure is a dwelling that would be the envy of many a Grand Designs viewer. Indeed, six of us were huddled under this tarp when the heavens opened.

20151024_141732_zpsph3ibfho.jpg

Here’s a piccy of me sharing a drink with another camp buddy - Wilson! he was very quiet though!

20151024_182933_zps95ud1laj.jpg

We cleared up camp the next day and of course ensured that no trace was left of our presence. As I walk home my mind turns to the adventures that are to be had on our next camp. And as always, lots of lessons have been learnt and lots of things that I’d like to do next time.

Apologies for the long and waffly write up, I’ve never been very efficient in my word-smithing!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Nice write up and pictures, thanks, on the subject of the woodgas burning issue, GGTBod, who used his extensively had similar issues but discovered that adding little and often was the cure, IIRC that is, might have dreamt it but think I'm ok with this one :D Anyway, I ramble, thanks again :)

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Nice write up as all ways buddy.I think lessons we're learnt buy everybody on that overnighter,and your right Wilson was very quiet,but he was on the ball at the end of the day.Looking forward to the next one.

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
Hello campers!

Thought I’d post up a short trip report from last weekend’s overnighter in my local woods. This overnighter was when the clocks went back so it meant I got an extra hour in my hammock – happy days!

I’ve learnt there’s only one problem with overnight camping trips, they go too quickly and I always find that I run out of time to do the things that I want to do. But any dirt time is good time and I did at least get to practice some skills.

First up was fire lighting, being something of a novice in this game, a frequent source of frustration for me is my general incompetence when it comes to lighting fire at this typically damp time of year. It’s easy in Spring/Summer but a totally different beast in the Autumn/Winter. This time things were different, I did some research via the medium that is ray mears’ literature, I planned ahead and gathered some birch bark and dried it out in my shed, I spent time gathering dry(ish) dead standing wood – twigs were more than sufficient for my wood gas stove. Everything was organised and alas it was slow to get going but it worked.

My only gripe with the wood gas stove is that it seems to take a while to get going after you add some more sticks. Perhaps it’s because of my incompetence at managing fires with less than ideal wood but I’ve read about others having similar issues. Having said that, it does work really well with my trangia and when coupled with the MSR cook-pot, makes for a very versatile and compact cook-set.

20151025_071408_zpsfguvzev7.jpg

20151024_141744_zpsdcg6kkaa.jpg

20151024_174425_zpsblu8okkd.jpg

Maybe I need to get a life but I’m quite partial to learning about different knots and their uses. Up until now I’ve been setting up my tarp ridgeline with an evenk hitch and a few wraps around the other tree with a half hitch to secure. This time I used a bowline knot to create a loop which enabled me to wrap the paracord around one tree and then secure the ridgeline on the other tree with a truckers hitch. Now why didn’t I learn about this knot sooner, it’s so much easier and enables you to make the ridgeline nice and taught. Here’s a handy tip for anyone wanting to learn some new knots….Go on google and search for the knot that you want to learn, look at the images, download the one you like onto your smartphone and there you have a readily accessible aide memoir should you need it. Saves on having to pack a book about knots!

20151024_144703_zpsmxcvy5lt.jpg

Once camp was set-up a few of us did a bit of target practice with our catapults. My wife bought me a new one that I wanted to try as my home-made one was proving to be pretty useless. The new one was a huge improvement though so methinks a bit of small game might be on the menu for the next camp.

My amazing wife had also bought me a puukko knife and opinel saw as an early Christmas present. I’ve been wanting a puukko/sami style knife for a long time and it didn’t disappoint. The small opinel saw was also very good and cuts quite efficiently through wood up to 3inches in diameter. I’ve got a nice piece of silver birch sitting in my man-cave at home so I’m looking forward to putting these tools to good use and going to work on some carving projects during the coming months.

20151024_133604_zpst2oyz9d5.jpg

Unfortunately the weather wasn’t on our side for this camp and we had a bit of rain throughout the afternoon and night so we spent a fair amount of time huddling under a tarp, managing the fire and consuming some of that evil brown fizzy stuff!! Sometimes this is just the way it goes but we knew the weather was coming and we were all prepared for it. There’s something very pleasing about camping in bad weather, if you’re confident in your kit and set-up then you can sit back and listen to the soothing pitter patter of rain on tarp. You kind of feel like you’re sticking two fingers up at the weather gods!

Since I started hammock camping, my mindset seems to have changed in so much as I look forward to bedtime and zipping up into my sleeping bag and looking like a giant caterpillar as I wriggle into the hammock. This time was no different and as the overnight temperatures in Kent were set to drop to 4 degrees, I remained very warm and comfy in my hammock while it gently rocked me to sleep.

That was until about 4am when I woke up with a cold shoulder and found that my foam mat had slid from underneath me. It was easily adjusted as I also needed to get up and answer a call of nature. However it has got me thinking about how I can remedy this situation. First of all, I’ve posted a letter to Father Christmas. As I’ve been such a good boy this year I’ve asked him if he’ll get me an underblanket….we’ll see what happens there!

In the interim, I’m thinking that I may cut my foam mat into two pieces and lay it out in my hammock in a kind of T shape so that the T section surrounds my upper body and shoulders. I’d welcome any thoughts from forum members on how they have dealt with this scenario (other than the obvious solution being to buy an underblanket!!). I’ve no qualms with the foam mat as it does do a very good job, I just need to keep it in position as the next camp will undoubtedly be colder. Another option is the multimat brand of foam mats seem to be a better quality and seem to have a rough and kind of dimply surface which looks less likely to move about than my cheapo foam mat with it’s very slick surface? They’re currently on offer (£12.99) at my local independent camping shop so I might check that option out.

Here’s a piccy of one of my camp buddies enjoying his very luxurious set-up. He was ground dwelling but had also developed a ‘mezzanine floor’ and was able to enjoy panoramic floor to ceiling views – this I’m sure is a dwelling that would be the envy of many a Grand Designs viewer. Indeed, six of us were huddled under this tarp when the heavens opened.

20151024_141732_zpsph3ibfho.jpg

Here’s a piccy of me sharing a drink with another camp buddy - Wilson! he was very quiet though!

20151024_182933_zps95ud1laj.jpg

We cleared up camp the next day and of course ensured that no trace was left of our presence. As I walk home my mind turns to the adventures that are to be had on our next camp. And as always, lots of lessons have been learnt and lots of things that I’d like to do next time.

Apologies for the long and waffly write up, I’ve never been very efficient in my word-smithing!

Where about was this.??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE