Help please - small container for paraffin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Some time ago I bought a small(~6"high x 1.5" diameter) squeezy plastic bottle with a secure flip top lid for carrying meths. It works well and the fold out nozzle makes it easy to fill a burner.

I can't find out where I got it from and searches on this site and the internet - including ebay - have not found one that I can use (for filling paraffin lanterns) - can anyone help please?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
2 ideas : use a zippo fuel container (other makes work too),or use a nailvarnish remover bottle,most have flip top lids/sqwerters.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for the suggestions.

In summary, current position is:
  • don't have a Sigg bottle or similar that I can use, but would if I had one
  • water bottle doesn't seem strong enough (to me)
  • Trangia one would work but is expensive
  • Yes - looks like Varga one but not branded
  • I had already contacted the e-bay site and asked if the bottles were suitable for paraffin and the chap said: "Sorry but i can't recommend them for flammable liquids" and this makes me cautious about using just any old plastic bottle
  • Zippo one might be ok - not checked prices yet though*
  • I'll enquire about nail varnish remover - don't have much call for it myself

*EDIT - just realised - you are probably suggesting that I use an empty Zippo can rather than a fuel bottle sold by Zippo

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Fruit shoot bottles. Puncture resistant (I guess you could if you tried, same as any plastic bottle) and penny's.

Been using one with meths for two years (same bottle)....

great bottles, a couple of different sizes/colours available (iirc you can even get clear ones), and you can get them for free on any park/school field. highly recommended

cheers

stuart

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......I'll enquire about nail varnish remover - don't have much call for it myself......

i don't know if you use alcohol stoves at all chris, but if you do then nail varnish remover works pretty well as fuel, a little......erm..........flowery smelling shall we say, but fine other than that, it makes the bottle really cheap when you look at it that way

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I have been using a Caprisun pouch for meths in my Hobo stove. Other then that I use contact lens solution bottles. I work in an opticians so I get loads of them in sizes 60ml, 120ml, and 250ml....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE