Help I need some flint!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
After the primitive fire lighting workshop at Middlewood last weekend I realised that I needed (not wanted - there is a difference you know!), a traditional fire steel.

I asked Matt who had made his and have bought one from the same guy, who just happens to be a forum member, Mike Ameling.

e374_1.JPG

I contacted Mike and he advised me that he had some for sale on Ebay and the rest is history.

Anyway, I am struggling to find a piece of flint locally, so does anybody have a bit I could aquire off them. Obviously I would reimburse them for their time and costs!

Heres hoping!

Simon

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
After the primitive fire lighting workshop at Middlewood last weekend I realised that I needed (not wanted - there is a difference you know!), a traditional fire steel.

I asked Matt who had made his and have bought one from the same guy, who just happens to be a forum member, Mike Ameling.

e374_1.JPG

I contacted Mike and he advised me that he had some for sale on Ebay and the rest is history.

Anyway, I am struggling to find a piece of flint locally, so does anybody have a bit I could aquire off them. Obviously I would reimburse them for their time and costs!

Heres hoping!

Simon

got tons out the back, let me know if you dont get sorted

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Just to say I haven't forgotten! A couple of inches of snow on the ground down here hasn't helped tbh, and since saying it's plentiful I've seen none, but will keep an eye out.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
As I understand it any rock with a sharp edge should work so with this in mind and living not far from SimonM in an equally flint free area I'm going to look out for anything local I can experiment with. There are a few sl@g heaps around from the old mining spoil with some flaky flint looking stuff in it. I'll let you know how I get on.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
If you're just after a striker, try looking on gravel driveways, etc. I've got 3/4" gravel as the surface on my driveway and there are a fair few bits of flint in it. Way too small to knap, but just about big enough for flint and steel work.

Geoff

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Once again I am amazed at the generous nature of BcUK members! Thanks for all the offers of flint guys :You_Rock_

I took Andywinkk's advice and bought one of John Fenna's "Dragon's Breath" kits which I have just collected from the sorting office, so will not be needing any straight away.

Hopefully Mike's steel will arrive soon and I can start playing, er I mean practicing!

Thanks again for all the offers.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE