I need some help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buck

Mar 25, 2013
Cambs
Hi Folks,

My father passed away a couple of years back and during the clearing out of his possessions I grabbed a bag if hand tools. I just had a cursory look and never paid it much attention. However, I am going to be moving soon and have started the clearing out of unwanted clutter, (swimbo's) words not mine.

Okay looking properly in the bag I found a knife like this one

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/greenriver.jpg

Only mine had a broken set of scales and was as rusty as it could be (I have cleaned most of this off). In doing so I had to remove the scales. I have kept the fittings and what remains of the original wood work.

I have no miss placed illusions about my wood working skills and would like to find someone who could do the job for me. The knife is old and my have been my Grandfathers originally (as the sheath has been re-stitched at sometime in the past) he was a cobbler. Its been abused in the past on a wheel. However it is a link to my father and possibly my Grandfather, that I would like to be able use again then pass on to my son.

I am more than happy to meet any cost. So any help, offers or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
A photo would help, but your first step would be to remove all the rust, very fine grit sandpaper or a paste/compound may do it, then look to see if the scales should be replaced or repaired, replacing is fairly easy and rewarding, you need to find some wood you like, there are many sellers of knife scales, then you need to measure the size of the holes and get some corresponding bolts, either Corby or loveless ones would work.

All you would need is sandpaper, a screwdriver and a drill with two sized bits, along with some glue, bolts and the new handle material.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Maybe a stupid idea, but would you consider trying to repair the wooden scales? You can glue the cleaned remaining bits on a thin wooden backing, then add bits of wood where it is missing, then shape.
You are not going to use the knife, I assume, but want to keep it as a memento? By keeping as much as you can, you keep a bit more of its "soul'.

When I restore iron or steel objects I like to first brush away all rust, then use phosphoric acid to remove the rest. This way I see hhow much I need to grind/polish away.
I restore all cars and bikes this way

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi mate.

I could get it looking brand new for you. Anything you want doing. Blade, handle, sheath can sort it all.

Those knives are cheap enough to buy new now. They are a general outdoors knife, hunting fishing, food prep etc. Sold as a sailors knife though

It would cost you more to have it restored than to buy new, but i guess you can't buy the sentimentality of it.

Happy to help mate. I'll do it as cheap as poss if you wanted it sorting. I appreciate the value of it to yourself.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Hi Janne, I know Marks (HillBills) work and I'm sure I can get recommend his work without offending any of the other excellent craftspeople and knife makers on this forum. I'm not a relative, business partner or an associate of Marks, just a satisfied past customer who is happy to say so. Good luck with the knife Janne.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I know Marks (HillBills) work and I'm sure I can get recommend his work without offending any of the other excellent craftspeople and knife makers on this forum. I'm not a relative, business partner or an associate of Marks, just a satisfied past customer who is happy to say so. Good luck with the knife

+1

Op, mark will see you right mate. I'd reccomend his work to anyone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE