Traditional flint and steel advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
I got my pyrite from Ebay. If you do a google picture search you'll see what it looks like.

Black and white flint tends to knap well and grey flint poorly.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I got my pyrite from Ebay. If you do a google picture search you'll see what it looks like.

Black and white flint tends to knap well and grey flint poorly.
Some people say that black tends to spark better, sell it for firelighting as 'rare and high quality', but I have used all sorts without any noticeable differences IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
I bought a steel from a chap on here who makes them. I picked up an old flint from a garden I was working in and whacked it against another to make a sharp bit and it wasn't long before I was making fire. I too like the char cloth to be held against the top edge of the flint - I had an ember within a couple of minutes that way. I tried the modern fire steel method of putting the cloth on the floor and striking on it, but after a few minutes I realised that I was wasting my time!

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
I use punkwood so the on top of the flint isn't and option. I spread the wood on the ground for a wide coverage area, however I don't strike the flint with the striker though as the sparks tend to head upwards I hold the striker near the punkwood and strike it with the flint.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
About a year ago after watching a "bushcraft" show on TV my wife asked me to show her how to make fire with flint and steel, she is OK with a ferro rod and such. I explained, demonstrated how I achieve it, got her fire kit which I had gathered for her. Striking the flint with the steel was the most stressful part for her but she is tough so in no time and a few skinned fingers she got an ember going first with char cloth then ignited a tinder bundle. Next she used a piece of "sitahging" (tree fungus) got her ember and ignition. Now I'm not saying that I am the best teacher but she was able to do this in less than 10 minutes. To many here put so much pressure on yourselves by analyzing "the best/material/technique". Please just get some items bought, given or found and practice and achieve it. Relax make a non competitive game of it. After you are competent then pursue a possible "best" way of fire lighting. Enjoy your journey of learning "bushcraft" skill as much as I EENJJoy biegn on the coputor :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE