Hello there, I'm new to Bushcrafting and could someone help me.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
as its spring why not put some energy into learning wild edibles. collins gem do a pocket size field guide called food for free an its tidy.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was going to say ignore the authors who are gear freaks...but they seem to all be gear freaks.

i get a lot of my kit from car boots.

learn to sew, particularly in leather. (falconry needs kit)

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
Hi ferdinand,

i'm 16 too, relatively new to the forum and from east sussex (as you can see from my username)

My #1 tip: get into scouting quick. there is soo much it can offer you and i pretty m uch dedicate my life to it but you can get involved as much or as little as you wish. Scouting is what really got me interested in the outdoors from camps spent under makeshift shelters in the woods using just my knife and anything i could find. There is only a few guidelines which i really live by. Equipment is helpful but it costs and weighs you down so only take what you need. knowledge is free and weighs nothing. finally, when your take something from nature you should always repay the favour. that way you know that nature will always provide for you when you need it. what's you msn address?

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I was going to say ignore the authors who are gear freaks...but they seem to all be gear freaks.

i get a lot of my kit from car boots.

learn to sew, particularly in leather. (falconry needs kit)

Tengu lass, I think you and I are among the few who aren't gear freaks.

I can sew thanks to my late mother who was a tailoress but never tried stitching leather - it's on my to do list.

Car boots and charity shops are the way to go.

Liam

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Ferdinand

Don't envy me too much, I'm still trapped in college which is BORING :)

If your College studies will lead you into a career that you find interesting and will fund your lifestyle as an Adult, IMO give it all you have goodjob

Also IMO, there is simply no substitute for doing. You can read all the information in the world, watch all the shows on youtube, TV, DVD etc but they will not take the place of actually getting out & doing Bushcraft for yourself.

I hope you can find a location & mentor locally :You_Rock_

Kind regards
Mick

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Why the Amazon? Surely there are much more opportunities for you in the Middle East.

Falcons open doors...perhaps to a Princes Raptormobile.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

I can sew thanks to my late mother who was a tailoress but never tried stitching leather - it's on my to do list.

Liam

You two are right up there in the gear freakers movement :lmao: You two love your gear. Your budget doesn't make you any less a gear freak. You can still get quality gear on zero budget, and you treasure it all the more. The same can be said of saving to get something of quality that you will treasure in the same way. It's the disposable gear freaks and the ones that buy it to keep it all new for the odd day out and as a bushcrafting fashion statement that drive me nuts.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
You are both still gear freaks though :lmao: You two love your gear. Your budget doesn't make you any less a gear freak. You can still get quality gear on zero budget, and you treasure it all the more. The same can be said of saving to get something of quality that you will treasure in the same way. It's the disposable gear freaks that drive me nuts.

Thanks for adding the word "gear" into the first sentence there.

Yes me too JD, I despair of the disposable afficionados. Though when lugging kit back up the cliff at Andybysea's place I sometimes, just sometimes, wish...

A lot of my gear is 70's/80's throwbacks.

The fact I'm cutting a dash through the cuds in flared jeans is lost on many, as they are tucked into my folded down wellies.

Shang-a-lang!!!

Liam

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yes me too JD.

A lot of my gear is 70's/80's throwbacks.

The fact I'm cutting a dash through the cuds in flared jeans is lost on many, as they are tucked into my folded down wellies.

Shang-a-lang!!!

Liam

Now don't go quoting my quotes before I've edited that quote to quote what I was intending to quote originally. Now re- quote my quote as per the quote that I originally intended to quote with more panache and elegance.

Besides, those flares of yours are actually long trouser skirts.

Hey, my name is Ferdinand Keller, I am 16 and a half years old and live in East Sussex.

My advice would be to start off slow, don't get drawn in to all the modern gadgets that are available. Skills are more important than equipment, you will not learn much about fire lighting by using a ferrocium rod for instance. Learn how to use a tinderbox, flint and steel, learn about plant tinders and how to prepare the tinder.
My Father always told me there was a right tool for every job, I I have always born that in mind. I know that bushcraft today often means finding a knife that will do everything, including splitting logs, but I find it is best to find a good knife that will do knife work, and carry a light tomahawk for doing heavier work.
You will learn far more by doing things the old way with older tools, then later you can make up your own mind whether you will stick with the ways of the old woodsmen or go high tech.

Regards, Le Loup. An ex sussex lad.

The only way to have it so is to do the work yourself. One can wear ready-made clothing, he can exist in ready-furnished rooms, but a ready-made camping outfit is a delusion and a snare. It is sure to be loaded with gimcracks that you have no use for, and to lack something that you will be miserable without.
It is great fun, in the long winter evenings, to sort over your beloved duffel, to make and fit up the little boxes and hold-alls in which everything has its proper place, to contrive new wrinkles that nobody but yourself has the gigantic brain to conceive, to concoct mysterious dopes that fill the house with unsanctimonious smells, to fish around for materials, in odd corners where you have no business, and, generally, to set the female members of the household buzzing around in curiosity, disapproval, and sundry other states of mind.
To be sure, even though a man rigs up his own outfit, he never gets it quite to suit him. Every season sees the downfall of some cherished scheme, the failure of some fond contrivance. Every winter sees you again fussing over your kit, altering this, substituting that, and flogging your wits with the same old problem of how to save weight and bulk without sacrifice of utility. All thoroughbred campers do this as regularly as the birds come back in spring.
And their kind has been doing it since the world began It is good for us. If some misguided genius should invent a camping equipment body that none could find fault with, half our pleasure in life would be swept away.Horace Kephart.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Hi ferdinand,

i'm 16 too, relatively new to the forum and from east sussex (as you can see from my username)

My #1 tip: get into scouting quick. there is soo much it can offer you and i pretty m uch dedicate my life to it but you can get involved as much or as little as you wish. Scouting is what really got me interested in the outdoors from camps spent under makeshift shelters in the woods using just my knife and anything i could find. There is only a few guidelines which i really live by. Equipment is helpful but it costs and weighs you down so only take what you need. knowledge is free and weighs nothing. finally, when your take something from nature you should always repay the favour. that way you know that nature will always provide for you when you need it. what's you msn address?

Bless up, that's some of the best advice around, it was Scouting that got me into this kinda thing, I'm 30 now and those roots grow deep !! And generally there'ssome wisdom in there too.....good stuff Eastsussexscout, if you're the future we're lookin good, biggup yourself !!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i would say if your going to get out and about as others have said you realy dont need much for a day trip appart from your self.

what i would say is get a good pair of boots if you dont already, a good pair which will last is well worth the money.

ref fire craft, i started with a fire steel (fero rod) and learnt how to get a fire going in the realy wet conditions. then i move onto the bow drill and flint and steel knowing the basics when its wet and horid helps loads and make you apreciate things all the more......

one last thing, if you are totaly brassic asp people, others have helped out from thr site before for begginers and people starting up..... the worst people can say is no...lol

good luck and all the best. keep up with the posts and let us all know hoe you get on.

regards..... chris

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland

Liam
Awrite Liam, It's a pity u cannie sow a new pair 'i wellie's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE