Hello all from sunny Cumbria (well, sunny 1 day a year)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Hi all

New joiner to the forums but long time lover of the great outdoors. I've joined for a number of reasons one of which is to learn & develop new / existing skills so I can pass these onto my Scout group. We're trying to more 'back to basics' with outdoor cooking, camping and general 'getting outside and away from the TV, XBox, DS and every other gadget'.

In my youth, I did a lot of hill walking and canoe trips on various rivers / Lakes (or Loughs) in Northern Ireland with many of these slept under the canoe or bivvy, rather than tents and I suppose I'd like to get my confidence back a bit to do this again with either my own kids or the Scouts.

I've already read many, MANY posts on the forums and have my appetite whetted for getting outside and trying some activities. As a kick start, I'm planning to go on an course next year to make sure that I don't start too many bad habits too early - any comments / suggestions on courses would be appreciated. I know it's not Bushcraft, but currently thinking about Trueways Advanced Survival Skills (3 days) as it's fairly local. I know the company has gone through some issues in the last 12 months but the course side of things seems to be working well.

See you outside :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Welcome max.
Another Cumbrian member is always a bonus.I'm trying to encourage our scouts to be more venturous too.
Seems to be working so I'll keep plugging away.Hope you get as much out of this site as the rest of us.
Cheers , Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Maxip - welcome to the forum

Have a look at Woodsmoke for courses, a great bunch of folk who really know their stuff, plenty of course choices and local too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE