Helle Knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
Hello,

I've been watching this site for sometime now and i was just wondering if anyone own's a Helle Knife.

I own one, Helle Eggen, but i was wondering why noone else has addmitted to it? :confused:

Thorfinn

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have admitted to it many times...

I had a Helle Eggen and my girlfriend has a Helle Harding. I remember hoodoo having a findness for the harding also - among a few others.

I gave my Eggen to my best friend as he was knifeless. ;)

Apr 9, 2006
Stourbridge
I've been thinking of buying a Helle knife for a while, but the one thing I'm unsure of, is the sheath security. Which sheath retains the knife better, is it the pressure hold, like the Helle-Eggen, or, the leather strap that fits over the tit on the end of the handle, like the Harding? I've always had folders that fit in my pocket i.e. a Gerber Gator or a Kershaw leverlock so I don't have much experience with fixed blades.

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
A nice to see i'm not alone then, I've had mine for about 2 years now, i like the design, feel and reliablitie. Wasn't very good for using as steel for flint and steel but i found that if you filed the back of the knife it made it alot better.

Thanks guys

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have and love a modded Helle Futura and its been well used and never let me down.............

Whats else do you need from a tool.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Shegs said:
I've been thinking of buying a Helle knife for a while, but the one thing I'm unsure of, is the sheath security. Which sheath retains the knife better, is it the pressure hold, like the Helle-Eggen, or, the leather strap that fits over the tit on the end of the handle, like the Harding?

Don't worry. I've got a Harding and the knife won't even fall out when the strap isn't over the handle. The sheath is very secure.

Michiel

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Helle Jegermester - it's a good knife, although a little too easy to dink. Sharpening is quite easy and the handle is good but it is almost toooooooooo shiny - doesn't really look the bushcraft part. It also makes a sub-standard hammer.

Due to these reasons it's second to my MOD survival knife wrapped in cord.

Aug 5, 2005
I just got my first Helle a few months ago, this Odel model.

Helle-Odel-1.jpg

Give them a try, you'll be really happy.

P

PWork

I have 2 Helles, the Tollekniv, and the Fjellkniv.

I haven't had a chance to take the Fjellkniv out and use it yet, but this is the best feeling knife I've ever handled. The size is "just right" too.
A very nicely made package the whole way around. :headbang:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have two; the Tomeliten and the Polar and I get a lot of use out both of them.
Helle are very good to deal with, excellent customer service should there be any problems..........though I appear to be the only one with that dubious distinction :( :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I use helle blades for my knives, too, when I want to make one in SS.
These blades are really tough.
When shortening the tang, I usually take a big hammer and give the part potruding out of the vice a big whack, since I am a lazy B++++++.
Not possible with the Helle, the tang simply bends to 90 degree.
Some users have experienced delamination once in a while, but this is a manufacturers fault and easily replaced, something like this can happen everywhere in mass production.

P

PWork

Good to see that Helle stood behind their product.

I wish I would have grabbed a Polar when they were still available. It looks like a sweet little blade.

Hm, maybe I'm the only unhappy Helle-customer. I bought two little knifeblades (I do not recall the name) to make a neck-knife for a friend and for myself. The shape is good, but the edge becomes serrated by use: little bits of steel just break off. So, I thought I'd never buy another one. No-one else has this problem?
Diederik

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE