Which knife would you remake in a better/different steel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think you should take out the ease of sharpening from the list. There are two major factors making sharpening easy or difficult and these are the knife-edge geometry and the abrasive used.
I see you are not familiar with the likes of Roselli's UHC.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
The Esee Izula 2 Was my most carried and used fixed blade for a while.

Perfect overall size - unobtrusive worn round the neck or in the pocket, had excellent neutral ergonomics and had a blade size that was just about ideal for a lot of my outdoor pursuits.

What I did not like and what eventually made me get rid was the thick edge geometry and the softness of the 1095.
Both are good for a big, hard use knife and make sense logistically for Esee when combined with their lifetime warranty, but I was stropping the knife as much I was using it to try and maintain a “decent“ edge.

If the same knife had < 3mm stock thickness, was significantly thinner behind the edge and made out of say Cruwear or better still - K390 @ 65 ish HRC, I’d buy one in a second, even if it was double the price of the soft 1095 version.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Oh while I’m at it, a SAK Alox solo and a blade with magnacut, Elmax, M390, LC200N, VG-10…. Really any half decent stainless and not that crumby steel they keep using as their main blades that you have to touch up after every day.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
that's the one i was referring to -- it's on my list of potential candidates to replace my beloved robbed F1, but i've heard mixed things about condor's quality control in the past, no idea of that's still the case...
As they has become established, quality control has improved significantly. So a reasonable upgrade in steel, handle material and sheath, this looks to be the first upgrade that the thread wanted.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I like the steel upgrade of the aqualore but don't care for the bright blue handle or kydex sheath. Seems you can't have your cake AND eat it.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I like the steel upgrade of the aqualore but don't care for the bright blue handle or kydex sheath. Seems you can't have your cake AND eat it.
That handle will get mucky in no time, so don't let that stop you. As for the sheath, it's the right choice for a stainless steel in my opinion.

The issue I have with condor is the price, 10 years ago people were buy these for £30, that has doubled and a bit more.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have a beautiful sharp camp knife made by Mr Claycombe . :cool: A handsome knife and lovely in my hand.
I have a stainless steel Mora that seems to hold its edge quite well and doesn’t go rusty when I’m messin’ in my dinghy and an assortment of other blades scattered in places where I live/cook, but I have absolutely no idea if they are abc 123 steel or 123 abc steel. Providing I can sharpen them and they hold an edge I am completely happy. :) There are some amazing steels out there but the tech details pass me by. Sorry!
I bought a couple of folders in 2021 which get a lot of use. One is Spanish steel and the other is Chinese, this is a Tekut Zero and had surprisingly good reviews for a sub £25 folder. Just looked again at one review and this is Sandvik steel FYI so sounds good! This lives with me at all times.
With a rub from my ‘Trend’ diamond card and a little spit I keep all the cutting edges in good order.
S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE