Helle knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Hello people,
I have just ordered a Helle Jergemester survival knife, I was originally looking at the Lapp Puukko but felt the blade length was a little short for me, anyone had any experience of Henne knives, it all sounds quite good, and looks good too!
I think for my needs it'l be ok, as im'e out in the bush nearly every day and require quite a bit of flexibility. My current knife is a Tramontina Amazonas, cheap and cheerful, and big! Croc dundee comes to mind ;)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I have three Helle knives, I'm very fond of them all. The Jegermester is in fact my favourite, so I think you made a good choice there. Although I'd describe it more as a hunting/skinning knife than a "survival knife" which to me conjures up images of the WS Dartmoor. Mind you you probably didn't mean that at all!
The Jegermester is a big knife, and has a very slim blade. It's brilliant at all things food-related as well as being as good as a leuku on thinner wood :)
A lot of people don't like stainless knives, but I prefer them. I have never had any problems keeping a very sharp edge indeed on my Jegermester.
If you search the forums I'm sure you'll find lots of info on Helle knives. ;)

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I have the brakar, and whilst it does get very sharp, I can't help being a little disappointed with it. The finish quality on it is utter b*****ks and the soft 18/8 steel on the outside of the laminate is easily damaged. That said, the edge retention is superb, and if these things don't bother you, then a Helle knife is certainly very good indeed.

Also, Heinnie is a brilliant company to deal with, my knife was delivered 7 days earlier than they said it would be. Brilliant service.

Jake.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
The good thing with the Helle knives and their soft outer laminates is that you can bend them almost perpendicular with out breaking them. This beats a shiny surface everyday.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I haven't tried any other Helle knives but i love my new Helle Eggen, it take a good edge and is warm and comfortable to hold.
The sheath was a bit naff but that was easily sorted and the finish was a little rough but again that was easily sorted in a few minutes with some wire wool and some oil.
For the money i don't think you can do much better.

441_4110_1a.jpg

rb

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a Helle Tomeliten and a Helle Polar and they are both very good. They are both small (deliberately sought out!) but are excellent tools, have both been heavily used but show very little sign of it. They sharpen well and they keep a good edge.
http://www.jls-wednesbury.com/
have a sale on them just now, too :D :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Treb

May 26, 2005
The Hague, the Netherlands
rapidboy said:
...the finish was a little rough but again that was easily sorted in a few minutes with some wire wool and some oil.

I've got a Helle Trofe, and can agree that the finish can be a bit rough. I sanded the handle and then applied some oil (tung & boiled linseed oil mixture) and then the grain really popped up. Much nicer than the factory finish IMO.

helle_trofe.jpg

Inset shows the factory finish

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Thanks for your wisdom guys, im'e new here by the way, so i'le be dropping by quite a lot.
Cheers :You_Rock_

Treb said:
I've got a Helle Trofe, and can agree that the finish can be a bit rough. I sanded the handle and then applied some oil (tung & boiled linseed oil mixture) and then the grain really popped up. Much nicer than the factory finish IMO.

I use tung oil a fair bit but what does adding the boiled linseed oil do - do you boil it yourself or do you buy it that way?

Treb

May 26, 2005
The Hague, the Netherlands
I used a commercially available "full solid" oil (meaning no solvents) that's on/in my oak floor boards too. It's a mixture of tung and boiled linseed oil and a few additives. After I saw what it did on my oak floor I was confident it would look great on my Helle too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE