Heineken can or similar?

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Some good info above

I've made a couple of cozies from the Reflectix stuff and have been really impressed with how well they insulate. The first one I made was for my Alpkit MyTiMug:

Alpkitpot.jpg

Inside the cozy lives a Reflectix lid for the cozy, the MyTiMug, then inside the mug is the rest of my cook kit. The circumference of the cozy is the same as the size of my X-cup which sits nicely on the bottom, all of this then lives inside the mesh stuff sack that came with the MyTiMug. Another benefit of the mug cozy is that it provides a bit of protection for the mug whilst it's in my bag, plus it protects my bag from getting dirty if the mug gets sooty etc on the outside. I was originally using this set up as follows:

1) Boil water in the mug
2) Place meal to be rehydrated in the cozy (inside a pour-n-store bag)
3) Pour water in to meal
4) Cover and leave for ten mins ish to rehydrate

This worked ok but it was always a bit of a faff to squeeze the pour-n-store bag In to the cozy so I made another cozy which suits the size & shape of the pour-n-store bags better:

Cozy1.jpg

As mentioned above I don't think the bigger Heineken cans are made any more so you might struggle to track one down. I've got one of the Zelph Flat bottomed/ridged Fosters pots as well as one of the half sized 2 cups pots from Zelph, and whilst the ridges etc do add an incredible amount of rigidity to the can, it's still a Fosters can at the end of the days and is pretty flimsy. I wouldn't consider taking it as my only pot on anything other than a day walk, and even then I'd probably opt for something else just incase it got squashed in my bag. It's a funky little pot though and it weighs very little, but for me it's not really practical so I'd much rather carry the MyTiMug.

Zelph.jpg

If you're after a really light weight cook set you could put something together similar to the LiteTrail set, similar size pots are available from the bay and you can get the rest of the bits and bobs reasonably easily or swap things out if you don't want to use esbit tablets.

Hope some of this rambling has been of use!

Matt

Last edited:

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I've never used the Reflectix stuff for a cozy - I made mine from an old army CCF pad - the cell size is small in this pad and thus a better insulator - the main reason I used the CCF is however so that I could make a cozy that stood on its own and could hold the bag open for me while I pour the boiling water into the bag - my hands don't work all that well and I need to use both hands to lift the beer can pot and pour the water. Once I pour the water and stir the food in the bag I close the bag _almost_ all the way and put a separate piece of CCF on top held down with some weight like a water bottle or a rock.

wrt the meths burner I used with the beer can pot I used a tea light candle tin (~ 1g) - it seems that it was the best / most efficient for a narrow pot like a beer can - any burner with side jets was wasteful of the fuel.

wrt fragile beer can pot - yes they can get bent in the pack but I would just straighten it out with my fingers and go - the pot will crack after a year or two but I would just stop at a local C store and get another beer and make another pot - I did take some care of the placement of the can in the pack - I would put it in my food bag to cushion the can with the bags of food.

Last edited:

leon-1

Which stove have you made?

If it's a simplified zen stove then I wouldn't worry about the pot that you stand on it, I use mine with whatever's at hand including my Primus kettle, Snowpeak 700ml mug or a Zebra 14cm billy.

Also if you need a wind shield I wouldn't go to backpacking light, don't get me wrong they're very good, but not the cheapest in the world and the choice IMHO isn't that good, go and have a look at Ultralight Outdoors, do a search for windshield and look at the trail designs ones, they have a choice of heights and the length on them is better.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
wind shield that I use was just the side walls of beer/soda cans - usually I got the cans for free then a bit of cutting and crimping and hole punching and I would have a wind shield - only thing unusual in making the shield was to put the finished shield into the oven for a while to anneal the aluminum - otherwise it took a number of burns before it stops being so springy in normal use

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Did you get hold of some Refletix type stuff for your cozies ?

They sell laptop / ipad covers in Poundland as a cheap source of neoprene.

Maybe you could have a go at one of these ? I think I might.

[video=youtube;usDW2_pdFpc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usDW2_pdFpc[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usDW2_pdFpc

Regarding freezer bags, they sell Pour and store bags in Morrisons etc for about a quid a pack, they are pretty sturdy and re-useable.
http://www.polylina.co.uk/pour&store.html

Thanks tartanferret. I do like the look of that. Ill try it first with the therma wrap. Yes the thermawrap is winging its way to me now. :)
Ive got some of the pour n store bags. Their great. :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Some good info above

I've made a couple of cozies from the Reflectix stuff and have been really impressed with how well they insulate. The first one I made was for my Alpkit MyTiMug:

Alpkitpot.jpg

Inside the cozy lives a Reflectix lid for the cozy, the MyTiMug, then inside the mug is the rest of my cook kit. The circumference of the cozy is the same as the size of my X-cup which sits nicely on the bottom, all of this then lives inside the mesh stuff sack that came with the MyTiMug. Another benefit of the mug cozy is that it provides a bit of protection for the mug whilst it's in my bag, plus it protects my bag from getting dirty if the mug gets sooty etc on the outside. I was originally using this set up as follows:

1) Boil water in the mug
2) Place meal to be rehydrated in the cozy (inside a pour-n-store bag)
3) Pour water in to meal
4) Cover and leave for ten mins ish to rehydrate

This worked ok but it was always a bit of a faff to squeeze the pour-n-store bag In to the cozy so I made another cozy which suits the size & shape of the pour-n-store bags better:

Cozy1.jpg

As mentioned above I don't think the bigger Heineken cans are made any more so you might struggle to track one down. I've got one of the Zelph Flat bottomed/ridged Fosters pots as well as one of the half sized 2 cups pots from Zelph, and whilst the ridges etc do add an incredible amount of rigidity to the can, it's still a Fosters can at the end of the days and is pretty flimsy. I wouldn't consider taking it as my only pot on anything other than a day walk, and even then I'd probably opt for something else just incase it got squashed in my bag. It's a funky little pot though and it weighs very little, but for me it's not really practical so I'd much rather carry the MyTiMug.

Zelph.jpg

If you're after a really light weight cook set you could put something together similar to the LiteTrail set, similar size pots are available from the bay and you can get the rest of the bits and bobs reasonably easily or swap things out if you don't want to use esbit tablets.

Hope some of this rambling has been of use!

Matt

Thanks for the rambling:). I cant wait to make some pot cosys. I dont think atm i can afford the lite trail set as im trying to do it on the cheap. :) although it does look nice.

Ive kind of decided on this.
Some type of Diy alcahol stove
400g tuna pot
tin foil wind sheild
Pot cosy

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Which stove have you made?

If it's a simplified zen stove then I wouldn't worry about the pot that you stand on it, I use mine with whatever's at hand including my Primus kettle, Snowpeak 700ml mug or a Zebra 14cm billy.

Also if you need a wind shield I wouldn't go to backpacking light, don't get me wrong they're very good, but not the cheapest in the world and the choice IMHO isn't that good, go and have a look at Ultralight Outdoors, do a search for windshield and look at the trail designs ones, they have a choice of heights and the length on them is better.

Im spending the weekend making lots of stoves. Just made two now. One i cant use till tomorrow but its a penny meths one. The other was made from a ali water bottle and worked well except it had the holes too low and i couldnt fit enough fuel in it. It also sent the flames huge so not good for a small pot.

ok ill check the site out. ta very much! :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
wind shield that I use was just the side walls of beer/soda cans - usually I got the cans for free then a bit of cutting and crimping and hole punching and I would have a wind shield - only thing unusual in making the shield was to put the finished shield into the oven for a while to anneal the aluminum - otherwise it took a number of burns before it stops being so springy in normal use

The thing with doing that is that the aluminium is the same size as the penny meths stove so it will just wrap around it a bit.
Thanks
Jacob

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Aldi sell little aluminium tins of Pate, they are perfect for Cat tin type alcy stoves. The Pate doesn't taste too bad either ;)

At 6g and very efficient to boot, it goes with me on most trips and will happily boil every type of pot I have without a pot stand.

They also fit inside the burner hole in the base of a Trangia.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Aldi sell little aluminium tins of Pate, they are perfect for Cat tin type alcy stoves. The Pate doesn't taste too bad either ;)

At 6g and very efficient to boot, it goes with me on most trips and will happily boil every type of pot I have without a pot stand.

They also fit inside the burner hole in the base of a Trangia.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE